raspberi pi w/o keyboard

TheBean
Go to solution Solved by samwells2000,

if you dont have a keyboard you can pre configure the WIFI ssid and password by adding a text ducument into the boot drive and enable ssh which would allow you to connect using a program like putty over ssh which would allow you to use the pi on your computer over the network 

I am planning to get a raspberi pi but I dont have a keyboard that I can use it with (I have a laptop so no spare keyboard).

is it possible to use it without one?

A keyboard is supercheap, why not get one?

There are ways not to use the keyboard, but really get a keyborad.

What are you planing to do on the pi?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

A keyboard is supercheap, why not get one?

There are ways not to use the keyboard, but really get a keyborad.

What are you planing to do on the pi?

alexa and gAssistant built into 1, as well as an integrated simple NAS drive. I might add a pi zero connected via ethernet which could be a security camera later. i think a pi 3b+ should be enough to handle that right?

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

alexa and gAssistant built into 1, as well as an integrated simple NAS drive. I might add a pi zero connected via ethernet which could be a security camera later. i think a pi 3b+ should be enough to handle that right?

That should work fine, just get a cheap keyboard

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That should work fine, just get a cheap keyboard

would a bluetooth one work?

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

would a bluetooth one work?

Yes but i think the initial setup you need a USB one

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

• 1 month later...

if you dont have a keyboard you can pre configure the WIFI ssid and password by adding a text ducument into the boot drive and enable ssh which would allow you to connect using a program like putty over ssh which would allow you to use the pi on your computer over the network 

On 7/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, samwells2000 said:

How dare you steal my reply 2 days before I make it

• 2 weeks later...

+1 as someone already said, set the Pi as headless mode. It's pretty simple.Put an ssh file (with no EXTENSION just a file named ssh) on the boot partition (normally after flashing the .ISO but you can do it whenever, it's just to activate the SSH on the pi). if you have it connected via Ethernet, you just have to grab the IP from your router's assigned DHCP list and connect to it via ssh (PuTTY). From there, you can install VNC (use "sudo raspi-config" to install it) and you have a Desktop connection + ssh! If you have the pi connected via wifi (or if you want to connect it to the wifi) that's trickier..You need a wpa_supplicant file with the network SSID info. It's not hard to find a sample file on Google. Give me a heads up if you need help mate.