How do I make my new SSD master and my already with windows installed HDD slave?

WesleyWPG

Hi,

I recently bought a 500gb samsung 860 EVO ssd.

I want to make this my master drive but I already have a 1TB HDD with windows installed on it.

How do I make the SSD the master drive and the HDD the slave drive?

swap sata port positions? with my pc, you can assign a certain sata port to be used as boot drive

11 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

swap sata port positions? with my pc, you can assign a certain sata port to be used as boot drive

the port number doesn't matter, there is no master or slave like there is with ide.

19 minutes ago, WesleyWPG said:

Hi,

I recently bought a 500gb samsung 860 EVO ssd.

I want to make this my master drive but I already have a 1TB HDD with windows installed on it.

How do I make the SSD the master drive and the HDD the slave drive?

Best way is to probably do a reinstall of windows 10 on the new ssd. You can clone aswell

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the port number doesn't matter, there is no master or slave like there is with ide.

Best way is to probably do a reinstall of windows 10 on the new ssd. You can clone aswell

Thanks, but do I have to transfer windows from the HDD to the SSD or clone windows from the HDD to the SSD?

4 hours ago, WesleyWPG said:

Thanks, but do I have to transfer windows from the HDD to the SSD or clone windows from the HDD to the SSD?

If you want the new system to be cloned over you need a cloning program to do it. Id just do a fresh install though.

20 hours ago, WesleyWPG said:

U have to use a cloning program to transfer windows and have it bootable however as Electronics Wizardy said is bust to just do a clean install on the SSD

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

1 hour ago, Ben17 said:

U have to use a cloning program to transfer windows and have it bootable however as Electronics Wizardy said is bust to just do a clean install on the SSD

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want the new system to be cloned over you need a cloning program to do it. Id just do a fresh install though.

So I just erase everything including windows from the HDD and install windows on the SSD or can I just install windows on the SSD and it will automaticly be a master drive?

53 minutes ago, WesleyWPG said:

So I just erase everything including windows from the HDD and install windows on the SSD or can I just install windows on the SSD and it will automaticly be a master drive?

You can just install windows on the new ssd and boot from it. There is no master and slave drives any more. One drive is the boot drives, and that is selected in the bios.

In UEFI BIOS you can assign which is the boot drive. And that's all it matters. There are no master/slave options since inception of SATA.

19 hours ago, WesleyWPG said:

just install windows the the SSD and and set the primary boot device in the BIOS to the SSD instead of the HDD

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ?