buying amd stock

Dehaka
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

Gotta watch the whole video, muh dude. 

hi, long time follower of linus, watched his vids for 3+ years. just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hofCnniJE and had to make an account to post. can linus himself comment (would be nice if mods can ask linus for me), were u serious with the title? amd's price hasn't risen yet, this might make me tons of money. please comment linus thanks!!!

he probably wasnt serious with the title, but its not a terrible time to buy stock. 

also dont take investment advice from people online. stock. 

take this from someone who bought stock last year. 

edit: and yes this makes me biased as anyone buying stock would make me money

edit2: do not do stock speculation on forums, look at things yourself and make your own choice. 

If you watched the whole thing you would know the answer. You also have to consider a lot of this news has already been baked in to the stock price.

5 hours ago, manchild wifebeater said:

hi, long time follower of linus, watched his vids for 3+ years. just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hofCnniJE and had to make an account to post. can linus himself comment (would be nice if mods can ask linus for me), were u serious with the title? amd's price hasn't risen yet, this might make me tons of money. please comment linus thanks!!!

Buying sock is not a get rich quick way to make money.... I bought AMD stock when it was 10usd then tripled in priced few months later then it dropped in half a few after. Learn how the market works because if you buy with out knowing you will lose more than you gain.

Investing takes Time, Research, Understanding the Market and ..... Patience.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to own stock. Like, he still does reviews and gives honest opinions.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I bought 20 shares of AMD when it was $23 a share and have been buying a few shares every paycheck since. Last time I checked it was $26 a share and my AMD portfolio is up around 8%, the 20 shares being up 13%. I'm holding onto my shares for a few years.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

8 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to own stock. Like, he still does reviews and gives honest opinions.

Because, as he said in the video, it would be a conflict of interest, whether real or just perceived.

On some level, what Linus says about a product can influence how it does in the market (how much influence i don't know, but it's not really relevant).  If he benefited financially from, say, AMD doing better than Intel, it would call into question the validity of his opinions.

And that's not saying he wouldn't be being honest, but it could cause people to question his reputation, which would be very damaging to his brand. 

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎