YouTube Is Changing the Way It Displays Subscriber Counts

2 minutes ago, comander said:

"Bob is a sexual harasser and happens to be gay - we better make sure he feels protected in the event that people don't like how he treats others"

What...

Please don't use that kind of unnecessary bs argument. If Bob the homosexual is harassing people, he will probably get fired. Especially if there's evidence.

Look, you've had really decent arguments up until this point. Don't be "that guy".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, comander said:

Different thread. 
Also different situation. In this case "Bob" err James probably got a huge uptick in views and he didn't lose the totality of his income, just a slice (possibly, it's hard to say what the exact revenue impact is). Using Linus' video on subscriber impact as an example - he gets most of his views from non-subscribers. 

Whoops! We were so engrossed in discussion in the other thread that I didn't even notice it was a different thread.

Anyway - I fail to see how your comment relates to the topic on hand, but I digress.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, comander said:

I was critiquing elements of the culture at Youtube. Think their CEO likening Ben Shapiro (thinks society should be run in a libertarian-esque, hands-off/light-tough manner but personally holds socially conservative views) to scum and being disappointed that her son watches him.

And? People have different views - no offense, but if I had a son, I'd be disappointed if he looked up to Ben Shapiro too. That's okay. Not everyone is going to like Ben Shapiro. Not everyone likes Justin Trudeau or Barack Obama or Jean Chretien or David Cameron or any number of other people.

gimmicky bs.  Just play things straight and if you want to get involved beyond being straight, then address the source and try to fix/help that instead of trying to mind fuck the populous by manipulating symptoms of a problem.  Who the hell even thinks this way?  Fucking hate spot patch jobs to paint over rotten foundations.

Is the partially because ProJared, a "male feminist" got caught being a general scumbag and lost a bunch of subscribers overnight because of it?

Can't have someone who supports the narrative looking bad, now can we?

Ironically, one of the SJW's that tried to destroy the internet national treasure that is JonTron.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There is nothing wrong with this and serious OP stop being so whiny and entitled. It hurts no one, and just helps remove the 'one-up manship' often plaguing events and pure idiots with the exact display. Literally no one outside the content creator needs to know down to the single member when in the millions, and this makes bot purges and other fake sub attempts less advantageous.

A live stream of under 1m shows plenty of accuracy in the detail at 133k vs 133475 or whatever. Under 1k still shows exact. 

There is nothing wrong with this.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Is the partially because ProJared, a "male feminist" got caught being a general scumbag and lost a bunch of subscribers overnight because of it?

Can't have someone who supports the narrative looking bad, now can we?

Ironically, one of the SJW's that tried to destroy the internet national treasure that is JonTron.

Nothing clear on what caused it, But current news seems to be pointing towards The James charles  drama stuff & no other, they had more than enough time to imply this feature in the past events , but when someone they are close with gets hits , rules have to be made. :ph34r:

Details separate people.

Like when NASA sends a probe to the mars, they only use the value of Pi to 8 digits. Do you, as a random person, need to have all 8 digits of a constantly-influx-and-often-meaningless (to the extent a normal person needs to knows) value? No. You don't.

Want to criticize alphabet soup for something that actually matters? Awesome. I'm all ears. But this is stupid beyond justification, and people need to grow up.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

There is nothing wrong with this and serious OP stop being so whiny and entitled. It hurts no one, and just helps remove the 'one-up manship' often plaguing events and pure idiots with the exact display.

Nothing wrong? Whats wrong with it is the viewers transparency, how can you know if someone is sub botting their way in to fake popularity with this? which is widely known practice in this platform. if there's nothing wrong with it, then mass blocking comments next wouldn't be a concern  next as people only need to focus on content creators opinion.

Details separate people.

15 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Like when NASA sends a probe to the mars, they only use the value of Pi to 8 digits. Do you, as a random person, need to have all 8 digits of a constantly-influx-and-often-meaningless (to the extent a normal person needs to knows) value? No. You don't.

Want to criticize alphabet soup for something that actually matters? Awesome. I'm all ears. But this is stupid beyond justification, and people need to grow up.

We have tons of social media platforms that track on user activity like views,likes & on this issue subs explicitly from YouTube which have it's own viewer base, why do we have live sub feeds that are popular for this, you know why? because this isn't NASA, its entertainment. if 'people' need to 'grow up' they should stop doing YouTube for a living & go find a real job & not hide behind pseudo popularity.

Details separate people.

4 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

We have tons of social media platforms that track on user activity like views,likes & on this issue subs explicitly from YouTube which have it's own viewer base, why do we have live sub feeds that are popular for this, you know why? because this isn't NASA, its entertainment. if 'people' need to 'grow up' they should stop doing YouTube for a living & go find a real job & not hide behind pseudo popularity.

Want to have them hide behind pseudo popularity less? MAKE FOLLOWING LESS VISIBLE.

What is Youtube doing here? Making following counts less visible. Oh my goodness, it's like the literal reasons for the change are the very ones you suggest.

If people (VIEWERS) didn't go batshit crazy over some exact 'subscriber war' between pewdiepie and that indian channel, T-series?, then maybe more people would watch actually good content creators.

Viewers are 100% the problem. Nothing more or less. Take some personal responsibility.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Hey, Team Youtube: The Nazis. Ban the fucking Nazis first then you can fuck around with the stupid sub counters.

-------

Current Rig

-------

18 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Nothing wrong? Whats wrong with it is the viewers transparency, how can you know if someone is sub botting their way in to fake popularity with this? which is widely known practice in this platform. if there's nothing wrong with it, then mass blocking comments next wouldn't be a concern  next as people only need to focus on content creators opinion.

When apple reports 10m ipads sold instead of 10,102,934 sold, is this lacking transparency?

Sub botting is EXACTLY as evident in this variant as it is previously. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Yeah and what does it do??
Seems like its doing nothing really....

Its just rounded...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Want to have them hide behind pseudo popularity less? MAKE FOLLOWING LESS VISIBLE.

What is Youtube doing here? Making following counts less visible. Oh my goodness, it's like the literal reasons for the change are the very ones you suggest.

If people (VIEWERS) didn't go batshit crazy over some exact 'subscriber war' between pewdiepie and that indian channel, T-series?, then maybe more people would watch actually good content creators. 

Viewers are 100% the problem. Nothing more or less. Take some personal responsibility.

Thats actually pretty good . Agreed. 

But this move basically translates & amounts to a coverup instead of clear transparency. it can & will be abused that's the main thing coming out of it.

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

When apple reports 10m ipads sold instead of 10,102,934 sold, is this lacking transparency?

Sub botting is EXACTLY as evident in this variant as it is previously. 

It's lacking accuracy & yes to an extend transparency if you look into the definition. you know the word ''transparency''

Details separate people.

When I care about a channel I would keep track of the sub number, but I guess I can't anymore because of a thing. Imagine what will happen to youtube in 10 year if we get a feature removed after ONE channel has a backlash.

So apparently Youtube thinks mass unsubscribe movements are toxic and unbecoming of the community but the rampant copyright system and Content ID abuse aren't?

K.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Apparently rounding a number means to people here that they cant track it.

Because they memorize all 9 digits of the number and watch it go up one by one. Makes sense.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Does this mean we can keep sub counts at 69X for longer? 

Success Kid / I Hate Sandcastles | Know Your Meme

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

but 696,969 though ._.

But 69K or 69M. We'll never get past it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

is tens of millions even possible? o_o

10s of millions of lonely weeaboos and pewds? 

For science... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Apparently rounding a number means to people here that they cant track it.

Because they memorize all 9 digits of the number and watch it go up one by one. Makes sense.

Apparently displaying exact sub number is too much for some people & is painful to track.  because all these years since YouTube's inception it didn't have any problem until some cringe drama queens came in & asked for some safe space requirement.

Details separate people.