YouTube Is Changing the Way It Displays Subscriber Counts

Sub Me Senpai.

YouTube-subscriber-count-glitch.jpg

Due to the recent trend in hate motivated mass unsubscription trend , Youtube is now taking a bold new strategy in curbing provoked mass hysteria. From August this year on-wards the current view of subscriber count will be rounded down & displayed, instead of showing the exact number of subscribers that are live at the moment, For example someone who has "7,475,678" subscribers it'll now be shown as "7,000,000" as a general average as "7.4 mill" , The only people excluded from the rounded down sub count show would be those that has less than 1000 subs , for them the numbers of subscribers that are shown will be exact & accurate. Content creators will be able to see exact subscriber count from YouTube studio. So only us viewers are hit by this odd decision from google.

New format >

YouTube-abbreviate-subscriber-counts.gif

• If a channel has 4,227 subscribers, the public subscriber count will read “4.2k” until the channel reaches 4,300.
  • If a channel has 133,017 subscribers, the public subscriber count will read “133K” until the channel reaches 134,000.
  • If a channel has 51,389,232, the public subscriber count will read “51M” until the channel reaches 52,000,000.

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/1130882313066180610

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/11308823130661806

This will indeed will hit hard for live subscriber count sites like social blade & other 3rd party apps that take advantage of the publicly available counter. this is indeed very pointless & very little helpful when it comes to helping either parties , content creators wont get to ride the wave of their sub rise from now on in view of public & people who visit may be less enthusiastic about subbing due to stagnant value being shown.

they're claiming that by doing so it foster a less adversarial and status-driven environment. where a content creator isn't attacked on based on recent events or whatever & showing a static number discourages other to follow a hateful  trend.

Subscriber count is just one signal to gauge video creator popularity, and it’s “far from the end-all, be-all, In the broader context of understanding audience attention, understanding who is watching and engaging with video content is just as important if not more so than subscriber size.

Allison Stern, chief strategy officer at Tubular Labs.

Make no mistake , this shit started from that willy wonka Sister James Charles V Tati feud which led to 2 mill sub drop in a period of 24 hours for sister James which is some kind of YouTube record iircc . The content creator probably talked with the head of Youtube about this, causing more drama leading up to this. Literally some Cringy drama shit affected everyone!

James-charles-seemingly-throws-shade-at-Tati-at-Kylie-Jenner-party.jpg

The only accounts excluded are those with under 1,000 followers, with the exact figure being displayed until the threshold has been reached.

So what do you think? Leave your comments/rants/opinions down below. 

IMO This is about a platform once again controlling narrative, Youtube has always been sub political when it comes to things affecting certain tiers of content creators. what bothers me about this is there can be foul play if they wanted it to happen without having to catch peoples attention, for example in a recent twitter trend that happened about a month ago i noticed this, a Kpop group had their view count cut down by 10 million in a span of one hour.  fans/ other people were posting social blade counter & YouTube view counter as proof that tampering had happened,  if a parent company can tamper that out in the open , imagine thing they'd do with a favoritism influenced partners sub count behind closed doors. Just imagine. Other than that Sub botting would now be imperceptible to regular viewers audience as there's no proof to see or record it. there's that malpractice option opened up. we saw this clearly with Pewds v T-series subs. both parties doing their part in it.

to be fair i think this will indeed be a good tool to curb that domino effect of sub losses, but this had to be inclusive , if they had noticed the mass drop on per individual basis & apply this to that exact channel & give/take time figure out whats going on, then it'd be good, this might discourage or encourage new viewers decision about subbing or unsubbing. but at the same time know that mass un-subbing happens due to something .  creators behavior/news/tantrum/rumor etc  people rarely go out against another person without cause except general hate or-whatever which is less now. This would make channels look stagnant overtime, but anyways lets see where this goes. 

People responded like you'd expected :

Sources :

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/21/youtube-full-subscriber-counts/

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-will-abbreviate-subscriber-counts-starting-in-august/

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/youtube-change-subscriber-counts-rounding-1203223404/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18634368/james-charles-tati-westbrook-tfue-subscriber-count-change-youtube-social-blade

Details separate people.

Meh, I don't think this is that huge of a thing. I don't think people are gonna subscribe/un-subscribe any more or less because of it, we just can't see their numbers is all. It's not really a big deal for anyone, surely content creators aren't gonna be affected, nor are the viewers.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z370-A II

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Storage 2: Hyper X 240GB

PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W

Peripherals: Logitech G502 Hero//Corsair K70 MK 2 Cherry MX Red

Display: BenQ XL2430T 24-inch 144Hz

264.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Wow, rest in peace FlareTV's Pewdiepie vs. T-Series livestream ?

So sad, Alexa play "Bitch Lasagna"!

/dead meme

/s

This is so stupid. They removed the exact sub number from the video view, now even from the about pages of YouTubers?

Let's just hope the sites like SocialBlade can still see it.

This is just another thing YouTube is doing to filter the content on the site. Same with them recommending videos without showing the view count, just showing recommended:

image.png.85eb72a0ff16309c92204c721a9e99fa.png

This is such an annoying ''''feature'''' that should be removed, just like this policy.

This is just YouTube treating the user like an idiot that can't make up their own mind. In general I feel like this is part of a bigger problem; YouTube doesn't want you to make up your own mind.

It doesn't want you to see too many videos relating to what you are watching now, it just wants you to see what it the algorithm wants to serve.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Who is sister James Charles and tati? Should I know about these women?

1 minute ago, floofer said:

Shit drama, no need to watch/know.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'm like meh. This doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned. Seeing a full number doesn't give the average person any more useful info than the rounded number. If you want to unsub, you can still unsub, and if a lot of people do it, it goes down all the same.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/18617895/james-charles-tati-westbrook-feud-drama-3-million-subscribers

So... James had been loyal to a brand that tatatati owns, James then sponsors a competing brand. tatatati goes ape shit and blows up on him (40min approx video in the source) and tonnes of other shit. Also theres the thing with "James attempting to change men's sexuality" that arose. Basically a shitfest

✨FNIGE✨

2 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/18617895/james-charles-tati-westbrook-feud-drama-3-million-subscribers

So... James had been loyal to a brand that tatatati owns, James then sponsors a competing brand. tatatati goes ape shit and blows up on him (40min approx video in the source) and tonnes of other shit. Also theres the thing with "James attempting to change men's sexuality" that arose. Basically a shitfest

That’s messed up.

1 minute ago, floofer said:

That’s messed up.

I only found this out through memes...

✨FNIGE✨

55 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

This might just have the opposite effect than what they think it might. Example if a creator has 12 012 345 subs its will round to 12M but what happens if the loss say 15000 subs. The actual subs will be 11 997 345 but due to the rounding down it will display as 11M. Effectively making it look like they just lost 1 million subs.

This is commitment on Youtube's part. When you ignore all the really serious issues like trolling of channels on music rights and retarded appealing process for that and go for the most petty one no one gave any fucks except PewDiePiew's 9 year olds (and me) who found some fun in sub count wars with T-series which was funny. This one.

1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

There are some big niches on YouTube one really doesn't want to run across.

7 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

I like how still no one knows what exactly Tati’s problem was lmao

James Charles started repping other peoples shit, and she didn't like it I think.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z370-A II

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Storage 2: Hyper X 240GB

PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W

Peripherals: Logitech G502 Hero//Corsair K70 MK 2 Cherry MX Red

Display: BenQ XL2430T 24-inch 144Hz

2 minutes ago, Ardu said:

James Charles started repping other peoples shit, and she didn't like it I think.

Yea that’s what it sounds like but I think she also went off on a bunch of other things that maybe happened previously because if it was only that it would be very much overeacting.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just being pedantic... but those numbers given as examples are all rounded DOWN, not UP.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Sorry, but does subscriber count really make a difference to the end user? Does the fact that someone has 4,099 instead of 4k or 4,999,999 instead of 4.9m make you watch their content any less?

Prime example is AvE. He has his sub count completely hidden, and he's doing perfectly fine

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

This is a nothing sandwich. It might well have the desired effect, so I'm totally okay with it. Creators themselves will still be able to see an exact subscriber count - and that's really what matters (they can also share that number privately with say - advertisers).

Also, @Tech_Dreamer, can you edit the post and fix the incorrect wording? You're showing examples of rounding down, not up.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

See it's even funnier to see a subscriber count drop by a million in one go.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, @Tech_Dreamer, can you edit the post and fix the incorrect wording? You're showing examples of rounding down, not up.

fixed.  sorry about that folks.

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

See it's even funnier to see a subscriber count drop by a million in one go.

1379562859_cowabungaitisturtlememe.JPG.1fb4efdcf9136a4aeeeaa3e49f1382ad.JPG

Details separate people.

3 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

fixed.  sorry about that folks.

All good my dude!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)