Linux ? Ubuntu ? Pop ?

Hi there, so all of my life I used Windows but now I want to try using linux, which distrebution is the most stable and has the best support for nVidia GPU's as I heard that linux has problems why GPU drivers...

pop=ubuntu based

I'd try ubuntu first, but be prepared for driver hell with nvidia

Installing driver isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Driver not working properly is the big issue however. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

What GPU? It's fairly easy to install the graphics driver usually and with a single screen it should be fairly problem free too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Installing NVIDIA drivers on Ubuntu (I usually go with the LTS version) is relatively easy, you can go from "Software Sources" and then go to "Additional Drivers" or you can go directly to NVIDIA's site and download the drivers from there and install it via terminal.

The main issue after you install it usually is that the drivers might not work as it's supposed to, one of the worst issue you can face is that you can get stuck in the login screen.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

55 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

pop=ubuntu based

I'd try ubuntu first, but be prepared for driver hell with nvidia

If squeezing every last ounce of performance out of the GFX card isn't an issue, then the default drivers for AMD or nVidia are just fine.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

As a point of fact, I've had more bad luck trying to swap out the default drivers for nVidia's latest under Ubuntu, that I just stick with the built-in ones.

The login loop is a right royal PITA to recover from.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

If gaming is a concern for you and you're an absolute Linux noob, imho the latest video by LTT presented by Anthony is a pretty nice overview (see below). If you want to learn more about server stuff, do web development and so on, I'd probably go for regular Ubuntu LTS or Debian. You'll find a bit more information and tutorials for these distributions. Not that there aren't any information for Arch based distributions, don't get me wrong. 

Development-heavy stuff but still very general purpose: Ubuntu LTS

Gaming that just works well: Manjaro

Just works and looks a bit like MacOS: Elementary

Just works alternative: PopOS

Pure Server: Debian or Ubuntu Server

Note: personal preferences and not (entirely) based on hard facts.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I am personally going to have to recommend Pop!_OS because I found it more stable and easier to use. Also the lack of the Gnome modifications Ubuntu made just feels nicer and if you are dying to have the Ubuntu desktop, I still recommend Pop!_OS just after making your user go to the terminal and run 'sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop', logout, and when entering your password by the green button you want to click the gear icon and select the one that has Ubuntu in it. It will install other software though so I do not recommend. I would not recommend Ubuntu as the system has bloatware and even on minimal install the store has what you might need yeah but not everything good is there. The Pop!_Shop has mostly good software, some bad apples but not that many.

You shouldn't worry too much about the distro, just pick one with a big community so you can get help more easily.

People usually suggest to start with Ubuntu (or a Ubuntu based) distro, so that community has become a welcoming place for beginners.

PS: if you have an nVidia GPU and want to use the official drivers, use xorg instead of wayland.