Looking for the Best Laptop for College

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of buying a Laptop for college work for about $1500. I mostly use it for typing projects, presentation purposes and slightly Photoshop and Premiere on the Go. Maybe I'll play games on it like PUBG, Apex Legends, Overwatch, maybe Fortnite and other battle royals and esports games. I need a laptop with the best Keyboard and trackpads. A decent  display and a lightweight laptop because I'll use it on the Go.cOnce I decided to buy the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 after my friend gave his laptop to me for a day and I'm impressed with it, but it doesn't have a dedicated GPU which kinda makes me feel bad. Then I wanted to buy a Macbook air, but it's running Mac OS and it is slightly low powered. I could install Windows 10 using boot camp but I don't like it that much.

So please help me to choose a Laptop for College work and little gaming and it should be lightweight.

Please help me.

Thank You.

Edit:My budget is 120000 Indian rupees ($1700).

Edited by AKSHAYROG

Seems like you would be happy with an XPS 13/15, awesome keyboard and screen, light and portable (which is super important in college) and has a 1050 in it which is enough for your kind of gaming. 

P.s. As cool as the surface is, I'd never buy a laptop that can never be opened, fixed or changed. Only the pro if you use the pen.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Best trackpad - Macbook? Suggest to try out yourself on keyboard and touchpad since everyone has different preferences

Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Are you buying in your country? If yes, give your budget in your country currency

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Seems like you would be happy with an XPS 13/15, awesome keyboard and screen, light and portable (which is super important in college) and has a 1050 in it which is enough for your kind of gaming. 

P.s. As cool as the surface is, I'd never buy a laptop that can never be opened, fixed or changed. Only the pro if you use the pen.

I have tried XPS 13 a while ago and I was feeling happy after using it but I'm kinda scared of buying any laptop without anyone's opinion (once happened to me when I went to buy a phone and the retailer actually almost fooled me to buy a expensive phone with lower specs. But I managed to choose my new phone with the help of my brother :) )

My choice for that price.. MSI GE63 Raider RGB.

Forget SLIM for a gaming laptop.. Not this is big or anything.. I have an MSI GE72VR Apache Pro with 17.3" display and have no problem carrying that around.. But I'm not a little girl or anything..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Here's another great 17.3" option and it's a little cheaper since it sports the 1660 TI instead of the 2060.. Which is more than enough for that display.. Honestly I would go this route instead of the one I mentioned above unless you need the extra graphics power for something.. Plus it has a larger SSD and just as good cooling for less.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Razer blade 15... See LTT channel for lots of info. Can be had for ~$1500 USD.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

7 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

My choice for that price.. MSI GE63 Raider RGB.

Forget SLIM for a gaming laptop.. Not this is big or anything.. I have an MSI GE72VR Apache Pro with 17.3" display and have no problem carrying that around.. But I'm not a little girl or anything..

I agree with your choice but that has like RGB stuff going on and i dont wanna ruin a college class with a Rave Party on that laptop. So i need like a little simple looking laptop than MSI GE63 raider.

But still thanks man

Edit:and i forgot about battery life. It should have about minimum 6 hours of charge

Edited by AKSHAYROG

20 minutes ago, AKSHAYROG said:

I agree with your choice but that has like RGB stuff going on and i dont wanna ruin a college class with a Rave Party on that laptop. So i need like a little simple looking laptop than MSI GE63 raider.

But still thanks man

Edit:and i forgot about battery life. It should have about minimum 6 hours of charge

You know what. Make it 1800. And go for predator triton 500.   And your set for your college

1 minute ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

You know what. Make it 1800. And go for predator triton 500.   And your set for your college

Or even msi gs65

6 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Or even msi gs65

I just checked the price. Its above my budget

But thanks for the advice for Triton 500.

3 minutes ago, AKSHAYROG said:

I just checked the price. Its above my budget

But thanks for the advice for Triton 500.

No prob. My pleasure to help ...if u r from India I guess u gotta wait just like me even my eyes are on triton

10 minutes ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

No prob. My pleasure to help ...if u r from India I guess u gotta wait just like me even my eyes are on triton

Actually yes

14 minutes ago, AKSHAYROG said:

Actually yes

Bhai aur 3 mahine toh lag jayenge tabhi bhi kuch 1.4 ya 1.5 ka minimum bikega

10 hours ago, AKSHAYROG said:

Battery life about minimum 6 hours and higher

This will limit your options

Are you buying in your country? If yes, budget in your country currency?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

On 5/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, AKSHAYROG said:

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of buying a Laptop for college work for about $1500. I mostly use it for typing projects, presentation purposes and slightly Photoshop and Premiere on the Go. Maybe I'll play games on it like PUBG, Apex Legends, Overwatch, maybe Fortnite and other battle royals and esports games. I need a laptop with the best Keyboard and trackpads. A decent  display and a lightweight laptop because I'll use it on the Go.cOnce I decided to buy the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 after my friend gave his laptop to me for a day and I'm impressed with it, but it doesn't have a dedicated GPU which kinda makes me feel bad. Then I wanted to buy a Macbook air, but it's running Mac OS and it is slightly low powered. I could install Windows 10 using boot camp but I don't like it that much.

So please help me to choose a Laptop for College work and little gaming and it should be lightweight.

Please help me.

Thank You.

If your not into light weight, i would suggest the Lenovo Legion Y530 with the core i7 and the 1050ti. I tcomes with 16gb ram with an ssd and hdd. The price is 95000 and it works good for me for engineering studies. 

If you want light weight, you can try the XPS 15 or the Dell G3 or Dell G7.

The Asus TUF FX505 is also a good light weight choice. 

2 hours ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

If your not into light weight, i would suggest the Lenovo Legion Y530 with the core i7 and the 1050ti. I tcomes with 16gb ram with an ssd and hdd. The price is 95000 and it works good for me for engineering studies. 

If you want light weight, you can try the XPS 15 or the Dell G3 or Dell G7.

The Asus TUF FX505 is also a good light weight choice. 

Oh thanks for your opinion. I tried all of the laptops you mentioned and I need light weight laptop like XPS 15 and XPS 13.

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

This will limit your options

Are you buying in your country? If yes, budget in your country currency?

Budget is like 120000 Indian rupees

5 hours ago, Siddhant Mishra said:

Bhai aur 3 mahine toh lag jayenge tabhi bhi kuch 1.4 ya 1.5 ka minimum bikega

I have some time to buy a laptop and I asked it bit earlier to find out about it

On 5/19/2019 at 12:41 AM, AKSHAYROG said:

light weight laptop

Max weight in kg/lbs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/17/2019 at 9:55 AM, AKSHAYROG said:

Hi everyone

Please help me.

Thank You.

The razer blade 15 (gtx) from last year has an amazing trackpad, it is light and since the games you listed aren't so demeanding then the fans would not get too loud for you. If you don't like that you can get the dell xps 15 9570 or the hp spectre x360.

8 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

The razer blade 15

dell xps 15 9570

Again...issues

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 5/17/2019 at 12:55 PM, AKSHAYROG said:

Hi everyone

Please help me.

Thank You.

Dell XPS 15 or MSI P65 will suit your needs perfectly.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

Can always buy a MacBook Air and have an eGPU for use at home? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?