"South Korea rules smartphone users can delete Android bloatware"

TopWargamer

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/24/south-korea-delete-preinstalled-android-apps/

The ministry said preinstalled apps are an "inconvenience" to users and cause "unfair competition" between operators and carriers, so it asked them to offer detailed information to users on how much storage their preinstalled apps take up. It also intends to apply the same rules to Google's suite of apps and services, which includes Gmail and Hangouts, although the regulator is still in talks with the search giant. Samsung, LG, SK Telecom and others have until April before the rules come into effect, which could mean Korean users will be able to tweak apps installed on their new Galaxy S5, should the device launch in the coming months.

More countries need to implement this rule. Android bloatware is arguably some of the worse bloatware out there, because it takes up quite a bit of storage, runs in the background/uses data, and eats up your battery, which of course, only makes it worse. So South Korea, GOOD JOB, and as for every other country, TAKE NOTE. Users shouldn't have to root their phones in order to get your crappy apps off of it.

COMIC SANS

You can't delete bloatware? What was previously stopping you, did they void your warranty if they saw bloatware removed?

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I need to GET RID OF MY DAMN BLOATWARE!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

You can't delete bloatware? What was previously stopping you, did they void your warranty if they saw bloatware removed?

Bloatware by default is unremovable on Android phones. The only way to uninstall them is to root your phone and use certain apps to uninstall your bloatware, and rooting your phone voids your warranty...

COMIC SANS

Bloatware by default is unremovable on Android phones. The only way to uninstall them is to root your phone and use certain apps to uninstall your bloatware, and rooting your phone voids your warranty...

Actually pretty easy. Root and install stock Android which is usually built from source. Most phones have an AOSP build or nearly stock ROM.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Actually pretty easy. Root and install stock Android which is usually built from source. Most phones have an AOSP build.

True, true, but in doing so you'll still have to void your warranty.

COMIC SANS

Or just don't buy phones with bloatware...

if a business isn't offering a product you want, don't buy it.  If a whole market segment moves towards no bloatware, the market will react accordingly.  The government doesn't need to be involved at all.

Basically it doesn't let you uninstall it. They would make it so that their customized version of Android would grey out the uninstall option completely unless you were to hack into the ROM itself which voids the warranty of the phone.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Actually pretty easy. Root and install stock Android which is usually built from source. Most phones have an AOSP build or nearly stock ROM.

Still voids the warranty though.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

So basically don't buy any modern day phone. Gotcha.

Nexus 5 pretty much just has google apps pre-installed.

But yeah...the only reason they install that junk is because it gets the price down so people will buy it...people are more worried about price than performance on the large scale.  They're simply providing what the market wants.  This isn't anything the government needs to be concerned with.  They have much bigger issues to handle than your poor battery life.

Oh, I'd have thought that it would be possible as my windows phone allows removal of pre-installed software. And its apparently inferior in everything. Plus Finnish carriers don't install bloatware, but the whole carrier thing is crazy in the states they even mark phones with their logos

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I... I need dis.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I guess I'm the only one here running an AT&T phone without bloatware.

Many thanks, root uninstaller!

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Or just don't buy phones with bloatware...

if a business isn't offering a product you want, don't buy it.  If a whole market segment moves towards no bloatware, the market will react accordingly.  The government doesn't need to be involved at all.

That, while sound in theory, doesn't work in execution. There's far too many people who don't know about it or just plain don't care. You'd just be going with likely inferior products and the big companies really wouldn't notice the loss.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That, while sound in theory, doesn't work in execution. There's far too many people who don't know about it or just plain don't care. You'd just be going with likely inferior products and the big companies really wouldn't notice the loss.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?  The market supplies what the market demands, while some niche providers will produce items for niche markets that's typically at a very high cost.

If the producers see enough demand for something they will supply it.  If everyone just whines about it, but keeps on buying it anyway, it's never going to change.

What it really comes down to is this is none of the governments business.  We don't have a right to a phone without bloatware(last time I checked the constitution anyway).

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?  The market supplies what the market demands, while some niche providers will produce items for niche markets that's typically at a very high cost.

If the producers see enough demand for something they will supply it.  If everyone just whines about it, but keeps on buying it anyway, it's never going to change.

What it really comes down to is this is none of the governments business.  We don't have a right to a phone without bloatware(last time I checked the constitution anyway).

Maybe they do in Korea. They don't follow the US constitution.

Yes and no. Yes, it SHOULD work like that. But having a few people stray away won't change anything. In this case, there are too many people who don't care.

Not only that, but a cell phone is more of a necessity. So, if bloatware is the only way to go, then that's what they'll buy.

Just like Call of Duty is a cookie cutter game time after time, but people still shell out the money so why would they change the business model.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

untill everyone moves away from that companies products, anyone who does move the effects is just a drop in an ocean

Just a guy with a beard

untill everyone moves away from that companies products, anyone who does move the effects is just a drop in an ocean

It's gotta start somewhere...

It's gotta start somewhere...

true, but your best off getting a small/med sized of techies/other types of 'goto' people to move and then there recommendations and word of mouth pulls people away.

Just a guy with a beard

Great news. Hopefully the EU sees this and think it is a good idea.

Not sure about you, but I want to keep the TouchWiz camera because the stock Android one is absolutely awful (and so is every single third party camera app I have tried). That's the only thing keeping me from using Cyanogenmod.

Also, your suggestion voids your warranty, and requires more knowledge about Android than most people possesses. It's much better to just be able to uninstall anything you don't want out of the box.

Oh and AOSP with gapps is pretty bloated as well. I don't want hangout, I don't want Google+, and I don't want Google+ photos. With this I might be able to remove those specific apps.

Not sure about you, but I want to keep the TouchWiz camera because the stock Android one is absolutely awful (and so is every single third party camera app I have tried). That's the only thing keeping me from using Cyanogenmod.

Also, your suggestion voids your warranty, and requires more knowledge about Android than most people possesses. It's much better to just be able to uninstall anything you don't want out of the box.

Oh and AOSP with gapps is pretty bloated as well. I don't want hangout, I don't want Google+, and I don't want Google+ photos. With this I might be able to remove those specific apps.

1) Each his own. I haven't used a Samsung device in a while either way since I buy pure Google devices. 

2) It voids the warranty, but it's painfully easy - there are also ways of erasing all traces of the rooting and flashing. The Android community's instructions for rooting and flashing ROMs (both use the exact same process too) painfully easy. Literally anyone with a keyboard can type in "[phone name] root custom rom" and get 1000s of links, and typically, people are aware of jailbreaking/rooting and custom versions of Android through various means.

3) AOSP builds are stock Android without Gapps, by default; AOSP is what ROM makers use as a base, not Google factory images (these contain Gapps pre-packaged). Google provides Gapps as a separate .zip file that can be flashed, or as apps installed from the Play Store. That said, Gapps are actually useful (the convenience of multiple services tied together using a single account) and aren't in the same class as typical bloatware which seriously bogs down the system. While there are plenty of alternatives to Gapps, I prefer the unified experience. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2