U.S. regulators approve new Silicon Valley stock exchange

PeterBocan

U.S. regulators on Friday approved a new stock exchange that is the brainchild of a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, a move that will give high-growth technology companies more options to list their shares outside of the traditional New York exchanges.

The LTSE is a bid to build a stock exchange in the country’s tech capital that appeals to hot startups, particularly those that are money-losing and want the luxury of focusing on long-term innovation even while trading in the glare of the public markets.

The new exchange would have extra rules designed to encourage companies to focus on long-term innovation rather than the grind of quarterly earnings reports by asking companies to limit executive bonuses that award short-term accomplishments.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-sec-siliconvalley/u-s-regulators-approve-new-silicon-valley-stock-exchange-idUSKCN1SG21K?utm_source=reddit.com

IMO, It is good for research-based startups where launching a product may take years of engineering and research. It's basically a market-based funding of research, where (relatively) short-term losses are sacrificed for the long-term benefits.

It's gonna get hacked.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

inb4 this becomes kickstarter valley ._.

(or maybe it'll turn out as imagined, i dunno i'm not a stocks person ,_,)

most likely it will. The difference is that when a Kickstarter project sinks, you have no say in the project/company/startup and you are only relying on the honesty, morale and manners of the startup founders to return remaining money, but once you own stocks of the startup, you have access to all information and financial status of the company. This may turn many projects into endless sinkholes and turning them into endless zombie projects that never produce anything. In that case, it's very hard to tell when you should cut the losses short, (i.e. should I dump another X million USD into the project and wait another 6 months, or should you just end it right now).

long term growth is good. Right now we always get in a bind with people trying to make quarterly profits and end up with no real innovation because all they do is add another camera to their phone or w/e. This should incentivise actual innovation

This is kinda big. We'll have NYSE and also an exchange in California now (CASE?). Neat. 

edit: actually it'll be called the "LTSE" long-term stock exchange

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Oh, The State of California is gonna love having high stakes trading happening here :D 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 5/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Oh, The State of California is gonna love having high stakes trading happening here :D 

The taxes they will impose to kill the market before it even starts...

What the hell is the NASDAQ even for then?

Is this move just to get out of a knowledgeable regulatory body and dump a mess of shit all wild west like?