The ULTIMATE 8K Editing Setup? - Threadripper + Ultrawide

For clarification, it is not a setup with an 8K monitor, but editing 8K image. I thought the former myself. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Now Linus needs to strap a bunch of these monitors together to make an ultimate 16k editing setup.

11 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

For clarification, it is not a setup with an 8K monitor[...] 

I thought the same thing.  Thought LG was bringing the heat.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

there is something I don't get: the GPU was debayering , and the CPU was doing the two decodings(with the threadripper and RTX) and they were at 95% and 100% respectively. but when he offloads those proses to the GPU, the CPU drops (obviously because it doesn't have to do anything), but GPU, that now have to do the decoding and debayering, drops to 77%. but before. doing just the debayering it was at 95%. why is that? what I am not seeing here?

Are they using the Creator Ready or the Game Ready drivers?

Did they compare the two in some video that I've lost?

Do someone know why they record in 8k if they upload in 1080p?

Watching these ultrawide monitor videos has legit made me want to have one for work, even though I don't do any type of professional editing or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, Maxwellcito said:

They upload in 4k.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

One question, aren't tr cpus affected by the coreprio issue, on windows, reducing drastically the performance in high multi-threaded intensive workloads? Or is it a thing of the past?

59 minutes ago, Maxwellcito said:

there can be several reasons, for a starter when you downsample a video it reduces the noise and it looks better, a 4k video downsample from an 8K one looks better than a 4K native recorded video(i don't know to how big is the difference).

it also allows you to crop into the image(also known as digital zoom) because you upload in lower resolution, for example, if you have 4K image you can scale up to twice it original size and it won't lose significant quality because you are editing in a lower resolution, I think they use that technic quite often (they make use of this in an extreme way for comical reasons quite often also).

another reason is for longevity even in a couple of years 8K footage will be still usable if they want to re-edit alder videos

also if you are producing videos with specials effects it gives you more data to work with, like for green screen.
but I think there is also a little bit of "because I want and can" in there.

In general recording in a bigger resolution than the one you are delivering in has a lot of advantages.

this video talks about that, it  is about 4K but is thye same concept:

4 hours ago, Sychic said:

Now Linus needs to strap a bunch of these monitors together to make an ultimate 16k editing setup.

Strapping two together gets you almost the same thing as a 4k TV at 5x the price ?

These monitors are really stupid products....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't understand how this is showcase of your "ULTIMATE 8K Editing Setup - Threadripper + Ultrawide" since it's the program that you showed off. If you used REDCINE-X Pro from the start and not Premiere, then it would have been a fair hardware comparison between the 7980XE + Titan Xp VS 2990WX + 2080Ti.

On another note, Who actually watches LTT videos at 8k resolution?

I love watching these over the top videos but I also laugh at other examples like this where someone will build the most over the top system but the software may only take advantage of half of what the system is capable of. 

Red stuff though seems to push everything you chuck at it. 

I am currently having an interesting time with Adobe Premiere, timeline scrolling and playback are working just fine, but when I go to export a project it will only use my CPU, neither of my GPU's.  I've tried all sorts of combinations even going so far as to leave my RTX 2070 completely unused as far as display outputs and run all my graphics through my secondary card which is a GTX 680.  No matter what I do under the export settings the option for "cuda acceleration" is greyed out.  CPU: i7 3930k, GPU1: RTX 2070, GPU2: GTX 680.

Also this is a super sweet monitor! I'm really hoping someday we see a curved monitor equivalent to 3x 23" monitors (approx 61" diagnoally) that would be my perfect monitor for sure!

I love your shows, tech news with a smile, and a great tone.

Thanks a lot

I miss more LiGnux inside any test - and people watched a lot your LiGnux videos -

I mean MS WOS plus LiGnux test when you show any activity as this video editing one.

My question is:

Why not also test also DAVINCI with LiGnux and some other software?

Perhaps in other video

Also I think LG would appreciate a video about what is the minimum 1080p and 4k  configuration for video production with GPUs CPUs OSs and software tested, Davinci in MS WOS LiGnux and Mac OS (the VT pass through setup you built can help to test the 3 OSs in the same VT with the same CPU / GPU)

And for the price performance I bet that an actual 500 - 600 USD AMD APU computer with DAVINCI and LiGnux can edit 1080p video, and even if it is any other under 999 USD computer (without monitor mouse and keyboard) a video with a "EDITING 1080p professional VIDEO with a under 999 USD computer is now possible" would have a lot of views

Spend thousands of dollars on an 8k editing rig

Still shoot like a rank amateur.

Profit...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.