#x lenses should be called telephoto, not zoom, change my mind

I'm sick of reading about "zoom" lenses on smartphones, when they are all just fixed focal length lenses. For example, the 5x periscope lens on the P30 pro should be called 5x telephoto, not 5x zoom. Zoom means that the lens has a range of focal lengths it can use, this doesn't apply to fixed focal length lenses.

Change my mind.

9 minutes ago, Hypnotoad said:

I'm sick of reading about "zoom" lenses on smartphones, when they are all just fixed focal length lenses. For example, the 5x periscope lens on the P30 pro should be called 5x telephoto, not 5x zoom. Zoom means that the lens has a range of focal lengths it can use, this doesn't apply to fixed focal length lenses.

Change my mind.

I won't change your mind, you are correct.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

No experience of these phones, it isn't continuous zoom then? So you get to pick 1x or 5x for example? What's your position on digital vs optical zoom? :D

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

No experience of these phones, it isn't continuous zoom then? So you get to pick 1x or 5x for example? What's your position on digital vs optical zoom? :D

While I'm aware of the distinction between optical and digital, I wasn't considering digital in the scope of this argument. Mostly because phone manufacturers are marketing their devices as having "#x optical zoom."

Just now, Hypnotoad said:

While I'm aware of the distinction between optical and digital, I wasn't considering digital in the scope of this argument. Mostly because phone manufacturers are marketing their devices as having "#x optical zoom."

I got that, but this camera lens is only fixed at 1x and 5x optical?

I suppose zoom is often used as it is easier for the non-photographer to understand. I've used fixed length teles for wildlife before. Non photographer passing by asks, what's the zoom on that? Erm... technically 1x as there isn't any, but it could be 14x to 17x depending on what wide angle reference is used.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 4/29/2019 at 3:19 PM, Hypnotoad said:

Change my mind.

Oh, can i play too?

i'm sick of all "pro tech reviewers" who call it a Fingerprint scanner, when it's a Sensor.

Or... when even big companies like Huawei or Asus call their 2560x1440 / 2560x1600 Screens "2k" which can't be more technically false.

And what annoys me more here is: I don't even know, if Huawei's/Asus' Marketing-department is just too stupid to know, or do that on purpose, because they know, that most people don't know the truth, so it "sounds better" for the masses?

No but seriously. I think, they call it so it "sounds better for the masses". That's why they NEVER use any "mm focal length" in their data sheets, because most people can't do anything with this information.

I guess, even if it's not perfectly correct, it's apparently correct enough, so most people know what to expect.