BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Urgh... Just validate already!!!

image.png.7481ed03b69d1601b046bded26105d12.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Can't get Einstein to use my HD 7950 :(

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Can't get Einstein to use my HD 7950 :(

what are you running it with other gpus?

Just now, Beowulff83 said:

what are you running it with other gpus?

Huh, if you are asking if the system has multiple GPUs, I'm guessing you are wondering if its a mixed vendor system, it is not. 

its an FM2+ athlon x4 and HD 7950 system. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Huh, if you are asking if the system has multiple GPUs, I'm guessing you are wondering if its a mixed vendor system, it is not. 

its an FM2+ athlon x4 and HD 7950 system. 

If you are running zika on the athlon, try going into zika preferences and reducing the core count by one and see if the 7950 starts

So my desktop has HARD power cycled for the 4th time now while under load. This kind of behavior is typical when somethings not getting enough power...system is drawing about 750W but I have a 1200W PSU so...well, it's a 6 year old PSU but it's a good quality one. None of the temp sensors that I'm able to see are at concerning levels. I don't know what's going on but I may have to take my GPU's out of the race.

1 minute ago, Beowulff83 said:

If you are running zika on the athlon, try going into zika preferences and reducing the core count by one and see if the 7950 starts

Already tried that, I get a Notice saying 'Your current settling do not allow tasls from this project.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So my desktop has HARD power cycled for the 4th time now while under load. This kind of behavior is typical when somethings not getting enough power...system is drawing about 750W but I have a 1200W PSU so...well, it's a 6 year old PSU but it's a good quality one. None of the temp sensors that I'm able to see are at concerning levels. I don't know what's going on but I may have to take my GPU's out of the race.

knock one gpu out and see if it fixes the issue. Also is your computer hooked up into a UPS?

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

knock one gpu out and see if it fixes the issue. Also is your computer hooked up into a UPS?

I'll give it a shot.

It is which gave me concerns like maybe I was going beyond it's power delivery (looking it up it's max output is 780W so, really on the edge there) so I eliminated it by just plugging directly into the wall and it still hard cycled on me :/ 

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'll give it a shot.

It is which gave me concerns like maybe I was going beyond it's power delivery (looking it up it's max output is 780W so, really on the edge there) so I eliminated it by just plugging directly into the wall and it still hard cycled on me :/ 

Most UPS's should sound an alarm when you exceed their abilities, or the walls, so it could be the PSU going unless the UPS doesn't have or those features are broken.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Most UPS's should sound an alarm when you exceed their abilities, or the walls, so it could be the PSU going unless the UPS doesn't have or those features are broken.

I've not heard it having those capabilities.

Alright, we're down to 1 GPU and we're pulling 470W. If the issue isn't somehow temp related we should be stable with this "low" of a power draw.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I've not heard it having those capabilities.

Alright, we're down to 1 GPU and we're pulling 470W. If the issue isn't somehow temp related we should be stable with this "low" of a power draw.

Take a UPS buy a 2.5hp meat grinder find the spottiest outlet in your home and plug it in(get ear plugs those things can be loud), the UPS should wail like a nuke is about to drop. But that is really a feature dependent based on the UPS bought, which mine have (how I know one outlet is trash, throw a can opener and a toaster oven on, or a blender and it wails)

58 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

I got it sorted with a DDU..

now got all 6 GPUs on the go!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 4/26/2019 at 7:34 AM, BananaInSandals said:

Noob here so apologies if what I'm saying sounds really dumb. 

Is it possible to run this on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ (or even a Zero WH)? I only have a laptop (poorly built one imo by HP with 7700HQ and 1050 hitting 90+C when at full load and whiny fans) and it's summer here with 30C. Definitely don't want to use my laptop as a frying pan atm but still want to contribute. :) Have a 3b+ and two Zero WH sitting around after my uni project so thinking of using them instead if it's possible. Thx

You can use the Boinc manager on your Raspberry Pi however the World Community Grid project is not supported on Raspberry Pi. However there's other projects you could run on your Pi, see the list here: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php and look for the ones that say they supported on ARM processors.

You might need to adjust the computing preferences a bit for your Pi, I noticed that if you set it to run always or very close to 100%, it'll hit 85 degrees Celsius pretty quickly and at that point the CPU starts to throttle. At least that is what I noticed on mine. 

https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/content/1056-BOINC-Pentathlon-2019-Day-8

It seems Mr Jeepers has revised himself, 10th is not wholly out of grasp for team LTT!

Even LTT look comfortable in the saddle at #11 but if they could increase their performance at the Javelin Throw, even OCN could still be caught.

But we still need more power, @leadeater and @Ithanul are both poised to strike in the javelin for us tomorrow, we still have sprint to contend in too. I hope we can put a little more ground behind us in the marathon so we can shake things up when the sprint comes around. 

@LinusTech fancy throwing us a bone since you stuffed up the shout out and putting a few of your resources to work? Could really do with a little more power in the marathon and definitely more GPUs! < worth a try right guys? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Yep. My fear has been realized. My GPU's are out of the running. I hope what I was able to contribute on the initial WU drop will suffice. Right now I may try to OC my CPU and put it on OpenZIKA that's all I can do with it right now.

On my earlier test if WCG benefits from HT, it looks like it does. I only ran the comparison systems for one day, but the one that use HT threads scored in ball park 50% more than the one that didn't.

Anyway, no such test for NFS, switching over now. Is this day 3 for that? If we are going to push, remember they said the 3rd best day counts. If we do this one, we have to push the last two also to not waste effort.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 minutes ago, porina said:

On my earlier test if WCG benefits from HT, it looks like it does. I only ran the comparison systems for one day, but the one that use HT threads scored in ball park 50% more than the one that didn't.

Anyway, no such test for NFS, switching over now. Is this day 3 for that? If we are going to push, remember they said the 3rd best day counts. If we do this one, we have to push the last two also to not waste effort.

Agreed, need to push hard for the next three days of the event to make it worth while.

29 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yep. My fear has been realized. My GPU's are out of the running. I hope what I was able to contribute on the initial WU drop will suffice. Right now I may try to OC my CPU and put it on OpenZIKA that's all I can do with it right now.

Hope everything is okay with your rigs.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If we maintain as we are and everything stays the same we could see 8th in the marathon! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Agreed, need to push hard for the next three days of the event to make it worth while.

I'm thinking this one is most likely to be our highest result so will need to do a bit of math do see what is required to match that going forward. I can switch systems over to cover it but I'm not certain about being able to bunker properly the next 2 times.

If we maintain as we are and everything stays the same we could see 8th in the marathon! 

On 5/12/2019 at 3:26 AM, leadeater said:

What we most aiming for, good showing in marathon or overall result. I like the idea of gunning for 8th in marathon a lot. If I shift too much that won't be possible.

I did the math, I'm pretty certain we can do it unless they do a final push

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Hope everything is okay with your rigs.

My desktop has been temperamental for years (like right now I'm trying to give the CPU 1.3V but cores are hitting >100°C instantly, like wtf?) but the Xeon servers have been damn reliable. I started them at the beginning of this event and they've been turning non-stop with no signs of problem.

GPU's are out but I knew it may happen. I'd like to keep the CPU in but I may not be able to overclock it (much).

Just now, leadeater said:

I did the math, I'm pretty certain we can do it unless they do a final push

I already did the math myself, but I expect the guys this high up the table will be bunkering. 

We also have the sprint to think about too.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240