BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

My desktop has been temperamental for years (like right now I'm trying to give the CPU 1.3V but cores are hitting >100°C instantly, like wtf?) but the Xeon servers have been damn reliable. I started them at the beginning of this event and they've been turning non-stop with no signs of problem.

GPU's are out but I knew it may happen. I'd like to keep the CPU in but I may not be able to overclock it (much).

My athlon x4 is 103C on the cores.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If all goes well you'll have the dual intel xeon tomorrow :) If the SSD install of Ubuntu succeeds (I bailed on BSD because it was being a pain to get working) I'll even live disc BOINC my P4 ? What could possibly go wrong with that.

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

I already did the math myself, but I expect the guys this high up the table will be bunkering. 

Well I meant back on that day, I was hoping we could get our hourly output higher back then to close it faster in the hope a large bunker drop wouldn't be as devastating.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

GPU's are out but I knew it may happen. I'd like to keep the CPU in but I may not be able to overclock it (much).

My GPUs will finish up today as well, just can't keep them going long term. Power cost is just too high and I'd like to play games

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well I meant back on that day, I was hoping we could get our hourly output higher back then to close it faster in the hope a large bunker drop wouldn't be as devastating.

I'll do another canvass of the discord and hope I can pull a few more CPUs into the fold.

My GPUs will finish up today as well, just can't keep them going long term. Power cost is just too high and I'd like to play games

Can you try to keep them online as long as possible? I'll try to find some people to throw a GPU or two our way. What are we replacing? Was it 2*290x

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I'll do another canvass of the discord and hope I can pull a few more CPUs into the fold.

Can you try to keep them online as long as possible? I'll try to find some people to throw a GPU or two our way. What are we replacing? Was it 2*290x

Yea 2x 290X, will be ending as soon as the task queue is empty which I have no idea when that will be. If not finished in 8 hours I'll be stopping it then.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yea 2x 290X, will be ending as soon as the task queue is empty which I have no idea when that will be. If not finished in 8 hours I'll be stopping it then.

Understood

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

My athlon x4 is 103C on the cores.

Yeah but with my GPU's just kind of chillin this 5960X has two 480mm radiators to itself so I don't know why it's shooting over 100°C in under 1 sec. When it's not-overclocked (stock 3.0GHz, voltage: auto 0.950v) it caps around 52°V so...back to the BIOS. I want as much as I can get out of it now and maybe I'll inspect the waterblock, etc to see what's going on later.

Power cost is just too high

Oh I AM owing my landlord extra after this. According to the UPS software I've used 38.4kWh from 1 UPS. This UPS is feeding the server 200W, the other is feeding 275W so take 38.4 multiply it by 2 add some extra then add the electrical rate in my area. Not cheap. That doesn't include the OTHER server that doesn't currently have a UPS (because during off-duty it plays a less important role) is also drawing ~500W...

yeah then that doesn't include my desktop...

Just participating in this marathon is going to cost me what you'd typically pay as an admission fee to a sports event.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

and I'd like to play games

What's that like?

Yeah but with my GPU's just kind of chillin this 5960X has two 480mm radiators to itself so I don't know why it's shooting over 100°C in under 1 sec. When it's not-overclocked (stock 3.0GHz, voltage: auto 0.950v) it caps around 52°V so...back to the BIOS. I want as much as I can get out of it now and maybe I'll inspect the waterblock, etc to see what's going on later.

Mounting pressure on the water block maybe?

What's that like?

Not sure, been a while ?

Just now, leadeater said:

Mounting pressure on the water block maybe?

That's another dumb thing. I thought of that. Told myself "OK, the systems running under load right now. I'll add just a little bit of pressure with my hand that should be all that's necessary to verify *put my hand on it* little pressure won't hurt-*system BSOD'd instantly and rebooted*"

Me:...I need to build a new computer...

Not sure, been a while ?

The only game I really want to play right now is MegaMan Legends for N64. I hope the emulator and ROM still work on this version of Windows.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Oh I AM owing my landlord extra after this. According to the UPS software I've used 38.4kWh from 1 UPS. This UPS is feeding the server 200W, the other is feeding 275W so take 38.4 multiply it by 2 add some extra then add the electrical rate in my area. Not cheap. That doesn't include the OTHER server that doesn't currently have a UPS (because during off-duty it plays a less important role) is also drawing ~500W...

yeah then that doesn't include my desktop...

Just participating in this marathon is going to cost me what you'd typically pay as an admission fee to a sports event.

What's that like?

I'm paying 15USD a day atm for the power I'm using

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Ouch. This is why I'm so glad it's all work power for me.

Oh wow. Power isn't THAT expensive in my area.

Currently testing how high I can set the voltage. We're at 1.2V and seeing a peak of 70°C. Going to try for 1.25V

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Oh wow. Power isn't THAT expensive in my area.

Currently testing how high I can set the voltage. We're at 1.2V and seeing a peak of 70°C. Going to try for 1.25V

Power isn't really overly expensive here, I'm just burning through a shit tonne... Plus I pay extra to have 100% renewable power.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

Plus I pay extra to have 100% renewable power.

That's pretty cool you even have that option.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's pretty cool you even have that option.

Only a few of the providers have it. I pay 12.3p/kWh +30%(for renewable) if I remember correctly. But this providers standard rate is 33% renewable which is nice.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Power isn't really overly expensive here, I'm just burning through a shit tonne... Plus I pay extra to have 100% renewable power.

Yeah, where I live we have no such option. Power is provided by some nuclear power plant way off in some direction far from me.

1.25V peaking 75°C. First I'm testing voltage then I'm going to bring up the clock.

image.png.9cba74c57b957b0d9d7c90e255b0dc17.png

Thank you for that...

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What's that like?

That depends.

Do you like dancing floating people?

Spoiler

HqOxYXd.jpg

perhaps a creeper on a multiplayer mod in a truck game

Spoiler

Or maybe even playing with your food

Spoiler

Or perhaps turning a prison game into the weirdest rave party you've seen...

Spoiler

The only game I really want to play right now is MegaMan Legends for N64. I hope the emulator and ROM still work on this version of Windows.

If windows 10 you might need to emulate a previous windows to emulate the game, I wouldn't trust compatibility mode tho you can try

Yeah, where I live we have no such option. Power is provided by some nuclear power plant way off in some direction far from me.

Where I live we do and I think it's about 30% more, all they do is basically produce as much energy as you use, in which theoretically will reduce your power consumption, how or where they produce it I don't think is actually disclosed. Would be great if they produced the power near coal plants to lower emissions. There is also a nuclear plant within a 200ish km range from me, if it has a meltdown due to winds Toronto and everyone north "should" be safe, but yea right...

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Ben Quigley

Only managed to bunker about 200k credits worth. Getting over 600k might be tough.

Why do we need over 600k?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

OH WTF!?! Everybody got penalized for something but us we're in 7th!

It's just the marathon stats fucking up it will get corrected in the next few hours, happen every 00:00 update for some reason.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

It's just the marathon stats fucking up it will get corrected in the next few hours, happen every 00:00 update for some reason.

Really? I've been looking over it the past few nights I haven't seen it do this but that does make sense.

May some miracle happen and we not get booted back to >10 when it's done.

11 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Shhh, let us enjoy it for as little as it last or I will throw this here fish at you: ? :P