Audioengine a5+

Eddprzz

I'm new to anything audio so I saw these and heard they were good and I'm wondering how would a person connect these to their computer would it be via the motherboard on the audio ports or need an amp I'm confused

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

Just get a 3.5mm jack and plug one end to the motherboard and the other to the speaker with the amp on the back. Simple really.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You know what I hate? Auto download links..

You know what I love? Cancel buttons.

It was from the Google search page. If he doesn't want to open the PDF he can search it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You know what I love? Cancel buttons.

It was from the Google search page. If he doesn't want to open the PDF he can search it.

I downloaded it in 2 seconds. That's not enough time to cancel it.. Put a warning that it is a download.

hello

It came up as a dialog box for me. It was asking me where I would like to download the file.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I'm new to anything audio so I saw these and heard they were good and I'm wondering how would a person connect these to their computer would it be via the motherboard on the audio ports or need an amp I'm confused

Did you already buy them?  If not, what are you intending to use them for?  Just general-purpose stuff?  If money is no object, go ahead and get them I guess.  At that price point though, you could probably get an extremely nice pair of headphones with an amplifier.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store?search=a5+

My PC specifications are in my profile.

The USB is intended to charge your other device theres not data go through it. But yeah, you basically use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and plug it in.

You also do not need an amp because it is a powered speaker. Thats why they have that big heat sink on one of the speakers.

Umm, that has USB input. You don't need to use analog.

It's a USB output, only useful for charging devices.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Hmm I wonder why there having more reviews on these as of late (from HardwareCanucks and Linus soon). They're not not necessarily new, but I look forward to seeing what Linus has to say.

I've had mine for about three years and they are one of the best investments I have ever made. Though I wish there was some sort of grill or cover. I feel like I might accidentally puncture the woofers or something.

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K Motherboard ASUS Saberthooth Z97 Mark1 RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 2133MHZ GPU 2 X MSI GeForce GTX GTX 980TI GAMING 6G SLI Case Phantex Enthoo Evolv ATX Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB PSU Corsair RM1000i Display Asus 4K PB287Q Cooling Noctua NF-A14 FLX & NF-F12 PWM /Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD Sound Card Asus Xonar STX

You can use the Line out from your computer, and the line in on your speakers. Of course, the best option would be to feed it though a DAC of some sort, like the D1 from audioengine, or ODAC from Mayflower electronics. I like the D1 better, because when your not using your headphones, it automatically goes to your speakers, and you don't have to switch cables every time you change devices.  

• 2 weeks later...

im about to pick up a pair of  the A5+ for myself very soon, and i am wondering if it is worth buying an external DAC like the D1 to go along with the speakers.

How much better will the DAC make the quality of the audio? and is it worth me spending $160, i will use the speakers for mainly listening to music and watching movies.

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

im about to pick up a pair of  the A5+ for myself very soon, and i am wondering if it is worth buying an external DAC like the D1 to go along with the speakers.

How much better will the DAC make the quality of the audio? and is it worth me spending $160, i will use the speakers for mainly listening to music and watching movies.

It will have 0 impact audibly. No performance increase or decrease.

You'll only need an external DAC for speakers if your source has problems with static/popping, ect ect.

TLDR; No.

It will have 0 impact audibly. No performance increase or decrease.

You'll only need an external DAC for speakers if your source has problems with static/popping, ect ect.

TLDR; No.

thanks, you just saved me $160 lol.

also would you recommend any other speakers around the same price? e.g if you had $400 to spend, would the A5+ be the speakers of choice for a 2.0 system?

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

thanks, you just saved me $160 lol.

also would you recommend any other speakers around the same price? e.g if you had $400 to spend, would the A5+ be the speakers of choice for a 2.0 system?

It depends. For $400, I bought the A2's and a nice subwoofer. Actually, it was more like $300. But if you want just a 2.0 system, I would love to get my hands on these.

http://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-DIA101-ROS-WHARFEDALE-DIAMOND-ROSEWOOD/dp/B0079XG4TW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391454176&sr=1-2&keywords=WHARFEDALE+10.1

You'll need an amp to power them though.

It depends. For $400, I bought the A2's and a nice subwoofer. Actually, it was more like $300. But if you want just a 2.0 system, I would love to get my hands on these.

http://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-DIA101-ROS-WHARFEDALE-DIAMOND-ROSEWOOD/dp/B0079XG4TW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391454176&sr=1-2&keywords=WHARFEDALE+10.1

yeah, im not well informed when it comes to audio so i think i may stick with the simple solution for now, maybe if i have more money to blow in the future, i will look into a proper setup.

the p4's are almost $300 by themselves in australia lol but i do appreciate your advise! thanks im sure the A5's should be a decent improvement on my 10+ year old logitechs haha

oh and i wish woodgrains would fit in with the colour scheme of my peripherals, they look so nice :P

I'll be be picking up the A5's myself to use as music speakers for a HTPC build. You should get a DAC if your source is a computer like mine will be (in this case). Otherwise, if you're using an amp or something then they have high quality DACs in them already (well some of them do :P)

I've wanted to get the Wharfdales Crystals for a while. My buddy has some of those speakers in his car and it sounds so clean. The only issue is finding a well priced amp to power them because they're pretty power hungry.

Get the dac if you intend to run decent headphones at a later date but you don't need it just for the speakers

I'll be be picking up the A5's myself to use as music speakers for a HTPC build. You should get a DAC if your source is a computer like mine will be (in this case). Otherwise, if you're using an amp or something then they have high quality DACs in them already (well some of them do :P)

I've wanted to get the Wharfdales Crystals for a while. My buddy has some of those speakers in his car and it sounds so clean. The only issue is finding a well priced amp to power them because they're pretty power hungry.

I'm curious what people use to drive these as well. I was thinking of just getting a smaller home receiver and putting these on my desk at work.

I'm curious what people use to drive these as well. I was thinking of just getting a smaller home receiver and putting these on my desk at work.

I was thinking the same - you can get some pretty good used receivers like Rothenberger or something off CL. Let me know what you end up doing.

I was thinking the same - you can get some pretty good used receivers like Rothenberger or something off CL. Let me know what you end up doing.

I just bought some AKG K712 Pro's. Once I have listened to these, and a few other high end headphones, I'll run out of headphones to try. After that I'll get into speakers.

I just bought some AKG K712 Pro's. Once I have listened to these, and a few other high end headphones, I'll run out of headphones to try. After that I'll get into speakers.

Ok moneybags...