Registry Defrage

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
5 minutes ago, Ahmet Alhurmuzy said:

I'm using Advanced system care program to clean my pc.

That's junk that doesn't really do anything useful to your OS health.

I want ask about register Defrage , did this thing affect to my system , did this thing good or bad to my files and system ???? 

"defragging" the registry is useless and pointless and not advised as there's always chances you'll mess up a registry entry you shouldn't touch.

Hello everyone ??

I want ask about register Defrage , did this thing affect to my system , did this thing good or bad to my files and system ???? 

Thanks for all. 

☺️?☺️

That's junk that doesn't really do anything useful to your OS health.

"defragging" the registry is useless and pointless and not advised as there's always chances you'll mess up a registry entry you shouldn't touch.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's mostly placeboware.  Also that defrag for the registry is probably going to damage the OS more than anything.

Pretty much this ^

It's all a placebo. It says it does something and maybe it really does it, but it really doesn't matter. Windows' built-in defrag tool work just as well and if you have a SSD, it literally doesn't matter because every bit of data, regardless of where they are or how fragmented they are, can be accessed at the same speed unlike with conventional HDD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The registry in Windows is a bunch of files, in total around 5-10 MB for an average PC.

defragmenting is supposed to make these files smaller by removing the deleted registry keys...

But with computers having gigabytes of memory, these files are cached in ram the first time an app. reads data from them so actual file size andchow fragmented files are doesn't really matter,reading random data from ram is super fast.

Maybe such apps still made sense in Windows 98 and maybe XP...nowadays mostly useless or scams.

Defrag registry is not as bad as using Advanced system care (or similar) programs with all its functions. Your system will be fine without that crap.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

The registry in Windows is a bunch of files, in total around 5-10 MB for an average PC.

No. It is a database. HUGE difference.

defragmenting is supposed to make these files smaller by removing the deleted registry keys...

No. Defragmentation does NOT reduce file size. All it does is that it takes segements that, all together form a file (or whatever type, in this case, database) that are spread out arround the disk and regroup them as 1 segemt. This makes the drive not seak all over the place, when you load 1 file on the system, and instead has 1 location to start reading to read the entire file. That said, as mentioned, the regsitry is a database, and so, defragmentation does not bring performance improvements, and is loaded in RAM, which really doesn't help anything as nothing in RAM is fragmented.

But with computers having gigabytes of memory, these files are cached in ram the first time an app. reads data from them so actual file size andchow fragmented files are doesn't really matter,reading random data from ram is super fast.

Yes, but even if you have hundred MB of RAM.

2 hours ago, Ahmet Alhurmuzy said:

Hello everyone ??

Thanks for all. 

☺️?☺️

From your specs that you posted in your profile, I see you have an SSD.

Defragmentation does not result in performance imrpovements for an SSD. In fact, you cannot defrag an SSD. The SSD firmware is design to fragment data on purpose to evently use the chip and greatly help in the drive lifespan. It can afford doing this, because it can get all the different segment near instantly when requested, so there is no delay like you have with an HDD.

If your SSD is not fast enough, than you should look into a faster SSD for your needs.

I see you have a Samsung EVO series, those are TLC chips (3-bit per cell). Getting an SSD with MLC  (2-bit per cell) chips instead, like the Pro series, are much faster and more durable (longer lifespan) for more intense contious writes.

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No. It is a database. HUGE difference.

WELL they are both. Check %Systemroot%\system32\config\

33 minutes ago, Acedia said:

WELL they are both. Check %Systemroot%\system32\config\

No. It is a database.

SAM, SYSTEM, SOFTWARE, etc... are all database files. The registry links to them, and the files contains all the pointers and data forming the database of the registry.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

No. It is a database.

SAM, SYSTEM, SOFTWARE, etc... are all database files. The registry links to them, and the files contains all the pointers and data forming the database of the registry.

I think he means that even database is stored in files, which is true. But anyway - you're right, this is database.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

I think he means that even database is stored in files, which is true. But anyway - you're right, this is database.

Oh, I see... well... yea.. but the way the file is read i not the same as a normal text file or yo9ur typical library (dll) file.