Buying used PSU

Gorange

Hello, recently I sold my Corsair CS650M power supply. I sold it, because I got a deal on two Vega 64 cards. Now I'm looking for a new PSU that can handle both cards. 

There's an ad for an EVGA 1600 G2 power supply. The seller told me it was used on a miner for less than a year and a half (1 year and 3-4 months to be exact). He told me it was powering 12 gtx 1060s @90w each. It also has 8 and a half years warranty left, but EVGA doesn't transfer warranties. 

The reason I'm considering the EVGA one is mostly because of the looks (lol), because I'll be building in a custom 'case' similar to the Thermaltake core p5 and the PSU will be exposed. Also, I've never heard anyone complain about EVGA's power supplies. 

So my question is should I buy it, or should I get a brand new CM V1000, which costs about the same as the EVGA one? 

I wouldn't recommend buying a used PSU.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Definitely not the G2. A 1600W single rail PSU is just a bad idea to begin with. 

The exact same thing would have happened if they used a G2, as it's also a 1600W single rail PSU. 

https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/944707-why-single-rail-not-better-than-multi-rail.html

Look for another ~850-1000W PSU that supports multi rail instead. 

:)

7 minutes ago, Gorange said:

So my question is should I buy it, or should I get a brand new CM V1000, which costs about the same as the EVGA one? 

What? Just buy a new one then..

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

A used one is a used one, and no warranty should reflect on the price. But the 1000W CM is more than enough and 1600W is more than twice the power you'll ever need.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:53 AM, Gorange said:

Hello, recently I sold my Corsair CS650M power supply. I sold it, because I got a deal on two Vega 64 cards. Now I'm looking for a new PSU that can handle both cards. 

Where are you located?

What country?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

20 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Where are you located?

16 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

What country?

I'm from Bulgaria.

9 hours ago, Gorange said:

I'm from Bulgaria.

Not too familiar with the Bulgarian market.  Though I do have a number of Bulgarian Matchbox cars.

Is there a particular e-tailer you use there for computer components?

I've bought a couple of used PSUs before, mainly for very cheap builds where it's not worth buying a new one. They both worked for more than a year and I got rid of them as they both developed coil whine.

Buying a PSU, especially one that's been used for mining, isn't an amazing idea. I would definitely go for a new one.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X / Noctua NH-D15 / Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 / 2x16GB XPG 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM / Radeon VII / 1TB Intel 660p SSD / Acer ED322Q / Acer ET322QU / Corsair Carbide 275R

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7405 2-in-1: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 / 512GB NVM.e

@jonnyGURU @mrplt Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy lately...

I decided to pass on that used PSU and spend a bit more on Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Riing 1200w as it seems to be quiet high on the PSU tier list. By the way, thank you for keeping the list up to date @LienusLateTips and everyone who contributed to it!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread and helped me with the decision! 

Edit: Oops, it was the toughpower iRGB that's high on the list. I guess I'll go with Be quiet Straight power 11 or Cooler Master V1000 l then. 

On 4/13/2019 at 2:53 PM, Gorange said:

Brand new one because you lose all or most of the warranty with most PSU.

Also the higher wattage EVGA units are really really loud. SO if you get a decently quiet VEGA64, the PSU will be far louder.

As for the two PSU; I'd get the straight power because multi rail, thus a bit safer if a MOSFET burns.

Cooler Master V1000 Platinum would be decent as well, though sadly only 2 Rails.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I’d buy one. Already have. Just like anything else to me but needs to be cleaned more. Don’t like wasting anymore on a psu then I already have to. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz