What connector is this?

One of the cords on my Altec Lansing speakers is beginning to go, which is causing a static sound.

I've had these speakers for probably over 10 years. The quality is amazing. Hence I'd like to fix them instead of replace them.

My goal is to buy a new connector, so that I can remove the current connector, strip the wire, and then solder the wires to new connector.

I'm just not sure what this connector is called or where to buy one, and Google isn't helping. Below are some images.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

P.S. I know my fingers are nice looking, so compliments are unnecessary.

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

s-video by the looks of it

whats the other side of the cable connected to?

Server 1:  CPU: i3 2100T  SSD: 840EVO MOBO: DQ67OW NIC: i340 -T4

Server 2:  CPU: Pentium D  MOBO: Dell Dimension 5150

Switch 1: Netgear GS108

Switch 2: Cisco 3500

Just now, Rehmat said:

The main desktop speaker that has the volume, treble, and bass control for both desktop speakers and the sub.

16 minutes ago, Rehmat said:

its a 7 pin mini-din connector!!

Its just a nonstandard/uncommon mini-din connector. I had the same problem on my speakers. I chopped the wire and nibbled away the rubber housing, resoldered the wires on the back of the connector, potted it in hot glue, then put heatshrink over it. Just as strong as the original connector but the noise is gone.

When you chop the wire off, you'll need to be sure you know which wire goes where. When I did mine, I noted the colour of the wires as I dug into the rubber, almost like uncovering a fossil.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 7:15 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its just a nonstandard/uncommon mini-din connector. I had the same problem on my speakers. I chopped the wire and nibbled away the rubber housing, resoldered the wires on the back of the connector, potted it in hot glue, then put heatshrink over it. Just as strong as the original connector but the noise is gone.

When you chop the wire off, you'll need to be sure you know which wire goes where. When I did mine, I noted the colour of the wires as I dug into the rubber, almost like uncovering a fossil.

yeah, thats what im worried about. im hopingggggggg theres color coded coverings inside. im scared to do it, partly because of that and also because itll be tricky soldering the wires on to the new connectors i bought because the pins are so close together.

how did you get the plastic encasing off of the connector? you actually chewed it off? lol

im not sure how to get mine off

1 minute ago, r0otctrl said:

yeah, thats what im worried about. im hopingggggggg theres color coded coverings inside. im scared to do it, partly because of that and also because itll be tricky soldering the wires on to the new connectors i bought because the pins are so close together.

how did you get the plastic encasing off of the connector? you actually chewed it off? lol

im not sure how to get mine off

I just slowly nipped off little bits of plastic with my electronics snips

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I just slowly nipped off little bits of plastic with my electronics snips

ok thanks. do u think theres a chance the wires inside the main cord WONT be color coded??? these are really old speakers, prolly 10 years give or take

1 minute ago, r0otctrl said:

ok thanks. do u think theres a chance the wires inside the main cord WONT be color coded??? these are really old speakers, prolly 10 years give or take

99.9% sure they'll be colour coded. I've repaired altec lansing speakers before and they've all been colour coded

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

99.9% sure they'll be colour coded. I've repaired altec lansing speakers before and they've all been colour coded

ok sweet. i think uve just inspired me to get this done. im so sick and tired of listening to this crap lol