Absolute best PSU for $130 +/-...

ch3w2oy

So looks like my brand new RM1000x is dead.. 

I'm going to try a few more tests once I get home but I'm pretty sure I need to replace it already.. 

I'm looking to spend $130 give or take $20, don't really care. I want SILENCE, this whole water cooled system is being built because I hated listening to my fans ramp up on my previous system, among other things.. 

I originally went with this unit because I never want to hear it and Corsair has a good rep in this regard. I realize 1000w is overkill. I like overkill.  Also because I'd prefer the fan not spin. I also might try multiple gpus at some point. I DO NOT want the minimum my system can handle, please! 

If I have to I'll just exchange this unit but I rather just buy one online and return this one when I get the chance.. 

Some that I'm considering.. 

HX750i/HX850i

Prime Ultra Gold 750

Straight Power 11 750?

RM750-1000x

EVGA P2/G3/G2

It seems easier to give advice than to pick one out for myself. I basically need advice on quiet ones. I remember @LukeSavenije telling me that the PSU tier list goes by quality and not by fan quality/loudness/quietness/whatever you call it.. 

Specs.. 

2700x (zen 2 one released)

X470 Crosshair VII 

Radeon VII

Custom water loop with 2 pumps

Trident z rgb 3600 c16

Thanks guys! 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Prime Ultra Gold 750.

Seasonic are the best PSU in my opinion! 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Well, I use an ax860i, and that thing is whisper quiet. I don't think I've even heard it yet and I'm running an fx 9590. So from personal experience, I can recommend the AXi series for quietness. I don't believe the fans ramp up until it gets to a certain threshold and it's quite high by the looks of things.

I don't think they sell it anymore, but they do still sell the ax1200i. That should handle those parts with ease and probably not even turn on the fans. I mean, you said you wanted overkill so here it is: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vkYXsY/corsair-power-supply-ax1200i

13 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

PSU tier list goes by quality and not by fan quality/loudness/quietness/whatever you call it.. 

quality a little, sleeve bearing can't come high because of it not lasting that long. or just in extreme cases like what happened with the chieftec sfx where it would ramp up and down every second

with this heavy of a system i would personally not go fanless, as that will cause more electronic noise.

I'm thinking something like a dark power pro is something?

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

inb4 stefan rants the crap out of you

you've been warned

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

you've been warned

????

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

If you want silence. A bequiet unit like Dark Power, Straight power 11 or Pure Power 11 is the way to.

They mount really nice fans to their PSUs, and if the fans spin up, they are more silent than the pump in your system

Just now, Constantin said:

????

Seasonic is like Asus. They have really nice top tier hardware, but they really start to dissapoint the lower down the skew you go.

Avoid the entire focus line due tl some unfortunate overpowerprotection issues. 

They are also like Asus in that everyone defends them for no good reason.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

you want the short or the long explanation?

Whatever 

13 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Prime Ultra Gold 750.

Is it quiet? I keep coming back to this unit myself.

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

quality a little, sleeve bearing can't come high because of it not lasting that long. or just in extreme cases like what happened with the chieftec sfx where it would ramp up and down every second

with this heavy of a system i would personally not go fanless, as that will cause more electronic noise.

I'm thinking something like a dark power pro is something?

I would like a be quiet one but every time I look at their pictures it shows the foreign outlet.. If I buy it in the US will it be okay? Sorry that sounds really noobish lol. 

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you've been warned

Lol it wouldn't be the first time. I tend to agree with him, but in this case I don't want to ever hear the fan and I plan to upgrade. The one I'm testing with, 750w hive (garbage I know), the fan runs no matter what.. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Seasonic is like Asus. They have really nice top tier hardware, but they really start to dissapoint the lower down the skew you go.

Avoid the entire focus line due tl some unfortunate overpowerprotection issues. 

They are also like Asus in that everyone defends them for no good reason.

Thanks! If I go be quiet will the power cord work in the US? All the pictures I've seen are with European prongs (I think).. I've been meaning to ask about this as I want a be quiet, but the super nice ones are expensive lol. 

6 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Whatever 

Stefan just believes you should get the best quality, lowest voltage/wattage unit your system needs.. At least that's where we've butted heads in the past.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

10 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Well, I use an ax860i, and that thing is whisper quiet. I don't think I've even heard it yet and I'm running an fx 9590. So from personal experience, I can recommend the AXi series for quietness. I don't believe the fans ramp up until it gets to a certain threshold and it's quite high by the looks of things.

I don't think they sell it anymore, but they do still sell the ax1200i. That should handle those parts with ease and probably not even turn on the fans. I mean, you said you wanted overkill so here it is: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vkYXsY/corsair-power-supply-ax1200i

Thanks for the recommendation. Not spending that much tho lol. I might grab an HXi unit, though! I really like the Corsair ones.. 

Just now, Constantin said:

Whatever 

the primes are good, no argue about that needed

but focus has issues

m12ii and s12ii are too old

s12iii isn't much better so far, but real reviews aren't out yet

Just now, ch3w2oy said:

All the pictures I ate with European prongs (I think).. I've been meaning to ask about this as I want a be quiet, but the super nice ones are expensive lol. 

Any PSU you buy from Bequiet in the US will work in the US.

They have seperate model numbers for the rest of the world and the US. 

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

axi is flextronics...

I meant that it's close enough in performance to the AXi, idot

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I would like a be quiet one but every time I look at their pictures it shows the foreign outlet.. If I buy it in the US will it be okay? Sorry that sounds really noobish lol.

afaik yes, but i live in Europe...

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

I meant that it's close enough in performance to the AXi, idot

not readable from your comment, you said it literally is. and flextronics are server PSUs...

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Any PSU you buy from Bequiet in the US will work in the US.

They have seperate model numbers for the rest of the world and the US. 

Resultado de imagem para insane swiss sockets

level 50 socket

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

41 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Some that I'm considering.. 

HX750i/HX850i

Prime Ultra Gold 750

Straight Power 11 750?

RM750-1000x

EVGA P2/G3/G2

Not bad choices, with the exception of the EVGA G units which are known for being noisy. They do have a zero RPM mode so most people who bought a EVGA G3 750W to power a 200W system will be like "OMG! It's the quietest PSU I've ever had how can you say it's loud!?" but reviews have it pegged at over 40dBa under load when the fan does kick in or when it's not in "eco" (zero RPM) mode.

https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=HH4

Not sure what the fan noise is like on the EVGA P2 units though, if you're considering those I would recommend delving in to some proper reviews that test noise.

24 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

He also said around $130... Not the $250 that an AX1200i would cost. :D
They're also soon to release new AX850/AX1000 models (Seasonic OEM).

EDIT: Correction. It appears that they AX850 and AX1000 are already available.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139158&Description=Corsair AX850&cm_re=Corsair_AX850-_-17-139-158-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139160&Description=Corsair AX1000&cm_re=Corsair_AX1000-_-17-139-160-_-Product

15 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Looks like BeQuiet is available on Newegg. Looking at Newegg now and they're saying they are stocked and shipped by Newegg, but does state international seller, so I'm really not sure.

Out of curiosity, what resolution did you have for your RM1000x? If you end up needing to go through the manufacturer for RMA then you'll end up receiving a replacement unit. Just something to keep in mind before you spend $130+ on a new PSU only to end up stuck with a RM1000x you're not using.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

AX850/AX1000 models (Seasonic OEM).

prime i hope?

The fan doesn't start spinning till it is under load, even then i think the rest of your fans must be louder....

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

prime i hope?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-ax850-psu,5986.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-ax1000-80-plus-titanium,5966.html

This unit is based on the Seasonic Prime Titanium platform

So, yes. AFAIK Seasonic doesn't have any other high end platforms in the works at the moment anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450