Absolute best PSU for $130 +/-...

ch3w2oy
24 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Honestly, I think I rather just get something I'm familiar with. I don't really like the connections on the modular panel..

That's very unfortunate because the be quiet is one of the quietest possibilitys you can get for the money.

Just look at this:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/be_quiet_straight_power_11/s09.php

I decided to just save some money and get one of these..

The Whisper 850w for $109 or the RM850x 2018 for $119? Which would you grab out of those two (i don't care about warranty).. Or the Prime Ultra Gold 750w for $128? Unless you really think the Straight Power 11 750w for $119 is worth it, I guess I can grab one of those.. lol

Yes, if you want a quiet PSU, the Straight Power is one of the best choices because of the fan RPM and noise.

I have the Whisper 850W myself and the fan speed at lower loads is rather high. It starts with around 700rpm, wich is not that quiet.

The be quiet is around 1/3 of that.

The Corsair is a bit louder on the mid range (around 425W or so)

at the lower end both are about equal. 

Here the 2018 version Review:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_rmx_2018/s09.php

I will buy the one you mention in your next reply, even if you say S12II, so choose wisely ?

Naa, I wouldn't say that....

Even today the amount of really quiet units is not that large, sadly.

In the end, even today, if you want a quiet unit, there is nothing wrong with be quiet, they are still a good choice and they use one of the best fans in PSU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes and what about the fan noise?
How does that hold up???

Not well it seems...

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69990

What does that link prove? The person bought both and had issues with both brands.

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

So why try to push someone into a knife?!
It doesn't have to be Seasonic, especially when there are better units for the user that are known to be good.

Why should we risk recommending a Unit that has the probability of the User beeing very disapointed with it and wasting time and money?? 

So why adamantly crap on anything Seasonic? If the OP is buying some overkill power supply they aren't likely to hear the fan over the rest of the system fans anyway.

22 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's very unfortunate because the be quiet is one of the quietest possibilitys you can get for the money.

Just look at this:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/be_quiet_straight_power_11/s09.php

Yes, if you want a quiet PSU, the Straight Power is one of the best choices because of the fan RPM and noise.

I have the Whisper 850W myself and the fan speed at lower loads is rather high. It starts with around 700rpm, wich is not that quiet.

The be quiet is around 1/3 of that.

The Corsair is a bit louder on the mid range (around 425W or so)

at the lower end both are about equal. 

Here the 2018 version Review:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_rmx_2018/s09.php

Naa, I wouldn't say that....

Even today the amount of really quiet units is not that large, sadly.

In the end, even today, if you want a quiet unit, there is nothing wrong with be quiet, they are still a good choice and they use one of the best fans in PSU...

Okay so I don't need the Dark Power Pro 11 850? I decided not to spend as much as I originally thought since it looks like cheaper options will work fine.. I thought a lot of reviews said the RMx was one of the quietest units in its class? 

I'm just a little nervous about the straight power 11 750.. You really think that will be quieter than the 850w units? For arguments sake, what about compared to an RM1000x? I know wattage isn't everything and some 850w units can do 1000w.. Just trying to figure this out lol. 

18 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

What does that link prove? The person bought both and had issues with both brands.

So why adamantly crap on anything Seasonic? If the OP is buying some overkill power supply they aren't likely to hear the fan over the rest of the system fans anyway.

The ultra prime is still on the table. But my fans will stay silent, lowest rpms possible for as long as possible. I don't want to hear anything during regular use. I imagine intense gaming and benchmarking are the only tasks it'll be audible.. I was just using the PC for the last 2-3 hours with no fans on it and the temperary power supply I'm using now was fucking annoying. Couldn't stand it. Silence is the reason I'm going liquid.. I feel like I should never hear my power supply.. I don't think I ever heard my evga P2 750, but I can't be sure.. 

All the reviews I've read about the prime ultra have been great, honestly.. Still trying to figure this out.. I was really hoping Stefan was just going to tell me to get the Whisper so I can be done lol. Silence is more important tho.. My PC is right next to my monitor.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

19 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

The Whisper 850w for $109 or the RM850x 2018 for $119? Which would you grab out of those two (i don't care about warranty).. Or the Prime Ultra Gold 750w for $128? Unless you really think the Straight Power 11 750w for $119 is worth it, I guess I can grab one of those.. lol

Bitfenix Whisper M 850
Con: The only issue I know of with the higher wattage Bitfenix Whisper units is that they use the same design and heatsinks as the 450/550W models, so the higher wattage models use a more aggressive fan profile to compensate, so not as quiet as the lower wattage models.

Pro: Comes with two individual PCIe cable connectors, as well as two cables with pigtail connectors.
Pro: $109 is a really good price for a high quality 850W PSU

Corsair RM850x (2018)
Con: I'm not a fan of the pigtail PCIe cables. If you're running a Radeon VII you will definitely want to use two separate PCIe cables on the PSU side, which means you'll have the two pigtail connectors off each cable hanging loose like a dick in a sauna. Looks messy if you're the type for nice cable management.
Pro: Thankfully though the Type 4 cables Corsair uses (also used in the Bitfenix Whisper series) are common so replacement cables are easy to find, including fancy individually sleeved stuff. So if you're planning on buying custom cables anyway, then the above isn't much of a concern.
Pro: The RMx white version comes with individually sleeved cables and is really good value compared to buying a PSU and buying custom cables separately... But really only suited for white themed builds.

Pro: Good noise performance

Con: Only single rail design
Con: The HX850 is pretty competitively priced and has a $20 mail in rebate atm which brings it down to the same cost as the RM850x. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139203&Description=HX850&cm_re=HX850-_-17-139-203-_-Product

Prime Ultra Gold 750W
Con: Looks like some of the Prime Ultra Golds are quiet at low loads, but get a bit noisy when the fan kicks in... But that's info for higher wattage units which generally run louder, and I can't find any noise info specific to the 750W model so ¯\_()_/¯
Pro: It says Seasonic on the label.

Con: It's more expensive than the others
tbh I don't know a great deal about these so probably look elsewhere for advice on it.

Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750W
Pro: Good modular connectors on PSU side for PCIe
Pro: Low RPM Silent Wings 3 fan
Con: uhh, I'm sure I'll think of something...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

OK, so if you're wrong and the person there right, you replace the Seasonic PSU at YOUR cost??

Because there are a couple of people who even had 5-6 units and they weren't satisfied with the fan noise.

Here someone in German:

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/netzteile-und-gehaeuse/475570-seasonic-prime-nur-im-hybrid-modus-leise.html

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Why defend Seasonic and recommend it, if you know that it might not be the best choice, when you know there are better choices?
Why does it have to be Seasonic when there are better units on the market??

Why recommend someone, who is looking for a quiet unnit a PSU that you know he might possibly not be happy with because the fan has some strong Motor noise??

Also the "buy overkill, PSU will stay quiet" is just not true. In some cases it might be, but in most its not.

For example this one:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/superflower_leadex_ii/s08.php

At around 450W, where Corsair and be quiet are at around 500rpm, this unit is at 1150 rpm - with a 140mm fan.

Why should I recommend THAT unit??

There are so many PSU, so many choices, so many that are really quiet that you don't need look at a Seasonic unit.

Another possibilty might be the Silverstone Strider Platinum. I didn't mention it because I don't like the modular panel. It only comes with two PCIe Connectors and one CPU Connector. And they are not interchangably usable - but the fan doesn't have too much Motor Noise either.

There is simply no reason to chose a Seasonic in this case as they are not better than the Competition, be it Corsair, be quiet or the mentioned Silverstone.

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Bitfenix Whisper M 850
Con: The only issue I know of with the higher wattage Bitfenix Whisper units is that they use the same design and heatsinks as the 450/550W models, so the higher wattage models use a more aggressive fan profile to compensate, so not as quiet as the lower wattage models.

Pro: Comes with two individual PCIe cable connectors, as well as two cables with pigtail connectors.
Pro: $109 is a really good price for a high quality 850W PSU

Corsair RM850x (2018)
Con: I'm not a fan of the pigtail PCIe cables. If you're running a Radeon VII you will definitely want to use two separate PCIe cables on the PSU side, which means you'll have the two pigtail connectors off each cable hanging loose like a dick in a sauna. Looks messy if you're the type for nice cable management.
Pro: Thankfully though the Type 4 cables Corsair uses (also used in the Bitfenix Whisper series) are common so replacement cables are easy to find, including fancy individually sleeved stuff. So if you're planning on buying custom cables anyway, then the above isn't much of a concern.
Pro: The RMx white version comes with individually sleeved cables and is really good value compared to buying a PSU and buying custom cables separately... But really only suited for white themed builds.

Pro: Good noise performance

Con: Only single rail design
Con: The HX850 is pretty competitively priced and has a $20 mail in rebate atm which brings it down to the same cost as the RM850x. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139203&Description=HX850&cm_re=HX850-_-17-139-203-_-Product

Prime Ultra Gold 750W
Con: Looks like some of the Prime Ultra Golds are quiet at low loads, but get a bit noisy when the fan kicks in... But that's info for higher wattage units which generally run louder, and I can't find any noise info specific to the 750W model so ¯\_()_/¯
Pro: It says Seasonic on the label.

Con: It's more expensive than the others
tbh I don't know a great deal about these so probably look elsewhere for advice on it.

Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750W
Pro: Good modular connectors on PSU side for PCIe
Pro: Low RPM Silent Wings 3 fan
Con: uhh, I'm sure I'll think of something...

Thanks for the brief summaries.. I really think I'm going aftermarket cables. If I cant find a set for a particular unit I have no problem using extensions..

What about FSP PTM

@Stefan Payne

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

3 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

The ultra prime is still on the table. But my fans will stay silent, lowest rpms possible for as long as possible. I don't want to hear anything during regular use. I imagine intense gaming and benchmarking are the only tasks it'll be audible.. I was just using the PC for the last 2-3 hours with no fans on it and the temperary power supply I'm using now was fucking annoying. Couldn't stand it. Silence is the reason I'm going liquid.. I feel like I should never hear my power supply.. I don't think I ever heard my evga P2 750, but I can't be sure.. 

All the reviews I've read about the prime ultra have been great, honestly.. Still trying to figure this out.. I was really hoping Stefan was just going to tell me to get the Whisper lol. 

I missed the water cooling part,sorry, but yeah I know what you mean I've had PSU's with noisy or bad fans, clicking or ratting is really annoying if i can hear it over everything else. I'm not sure how the RM850x 2018 version or Bitfenix Whisper M 850 compares to the Bequiet Straight Power 11 750w in fan noise, but i'd choose the RM850x or Whisper M 850 for use with custom cables.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:48 AM, ch3w2oy said:

Thanks for the brief summaries.. I really think I'm going aftermarket cables. If I cant find a set for a particular unit I have no problem using extensions..

Some manufacturers (like be quiet) have their own branded Cables for example.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:48 AM, ch3w2oy said:

What about FSP PTM

@Stefan Payne

Should/could be also an option, though after Market Cables might be a bit poblematic.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, Blademaster91 said:

I'm not sure how the RM850x 2018 version or Bitfenix Whisper M 850 compares to the Bequiet Straight Power 11 750w in fan noise, but i'd choose the RM850x or Whisper M 850 for use with custom cables.

As I said, Whisper M at 650W and higher has rather high idle fan RPM of around 700rpm. That's not really an option for someone who want a quiet system.

The Comparisation between RMx (2018) and Straight Power 11, both 750W, you can see above.

Cablemod also has be quiet Cables:

https://cablemod.com/products/?filter_series=b-series

(both are not optimal for SP11, as they are for the hardwired DPP P10/11 and Straight Power 11)

For custom Cable, another Option is Silverstone.

The Strider Platinum uses 1:1 Cables for ATX, PCIe and CPU.

Was browsing cybenetics to quickly "read" on the Straight Power 11 line since they seem to be held in very high regard and, looking at the 850w model (no 750w available), came away somewhat unimpressed.

Noisier than than a RM850x with more ripple.

The Whisper M fared better but still worse than a RMx.

Just raw numbers I know but it made the Corsair look more appealing to me

48 minutes ago, jazz9 said:

Was browing cybenetics to quickly "read" on the Straight Power 11 line since they seem to be held in very high regard and, looking at the 850w model (no 750w available), came away somewhat unimpressed.

Noisier than than a RM850x with more ripple.

The Whisper M fared better but still worse than a RMx.

Just raw numbers I know but it made the Corsair look more appealing to me

RMx units have in-line capacitors in their cables which helps with ripple suppression (though, RMx ripple is usually pretty good without them).
Higher end Corsair units (RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AXi) also just have really good ripple in general and they have pretty high standards for what they consider acceptable. Just because something has worse ripple than an RMx doesn't mean it has bad ripple. It's like coming second place to Usain Bolt in a 100m sprint. 15-25mV ripple on 12V is still pretty good.

Problem with higher wattage units is if they're using the same design & heatsinks as the lower wattage versions, they will need to run the fans at higher RPM for the higher wattages in order to compensate. I'm not sure if this is the case for the Straight Power 11 units, but could explain why fan noise isn't as great on the high wattage models as it is on the lower wattage models.
Looking at the cybernetics report for the Straight Power 11 850W and yeah, once you go over 600W the noise starts going in to 30dBa and doesn't appear to be as good as what some other units discussed are... Though realistically that's still going to be quieter than the rest of the system at 600W load where you will likely have two graphics cards with fans spinning at high RPM.

Again, the Corsair RMx units are very quiet. Just because something isn't as quiet as an RMx, doesn't mean it's loud...
This isn't to say the Corsair RMx units are perfect either. There are less desirable things with the RMx units, like its single rail design for higher wattage models and the included pigtail PCIe cables.

IMO there's no real silver bullet when it comes to PSUs. There's models that have strengths in some areas but might not be as strong in other areas. Just have to balance it up with what is good enough for your build and budget, as well as what is important to you. Both the Straight Power 11 and RMx are good options, but if you feel more confident with the RMx then go for it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450