The Intel Compute Stick & Compute Card

As mentioned by The Verge and Tom's Hardware, the Intel Compute Card died because it does not "make sense in an era of cloud computing and ubiquitous cellular connectivity [and was] a nightmare for appliance vendors".

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9ZLzUvODI5MzczL29yaWdpbmFsLzE1NTMyODUyNTY3NDYuanBn

IMHO It would very convenient to be able to carry a full-featured PC the size of a mini wallet and just plug it into whatever computing interface or smart device/appliance anywhere I go. This is the problem: who would invest billions into rolling-out entirely new computing infrastructure when everyone already has smartphones, always-on ultrabooks, and internet-based Chromebooks?

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9ZLzYvODI5Mzc0L29yaWdpbmFsLzE1NTMyODUyODMxNTkuanBn

There are similar ongoing efforts ~ everything below ~ to integrate if not completely merge portable computing with desktop-class utility.

Here's the general idea all these products are trying to address: my phone = my tablet = my laptop = my gaming rig.

As much effort as there is to achieve this dream of the "ultimate all-in-one" computing device, I believe we will not have such a universal platform until our smartphones and tablets can seamlessly transition into our Windows and OS X powered equivalents (not only physically -- like folding, docking, tethering, & casting -- but the capability and versatility of apps and programs as well).

Always a pleasure,

Josh

8 hours ago, Results45 said:

As much effort as there is to achieve this dream of the "ultimate all-in-one" computing device, I believe we will not have such a universal platform until our smartphones and tablets can seamlessly transition into our Windows and OS X powered equivalents (not only physically -- like folding, docking, tethering, & syncing -- but the capability and versatility of apps and programs as well).

The biggest problem is cost.  Microsoft got the idea and got the patents and toyed with the idea in the past to some light level. Internally, the company is preparing itself, at least that is what is planned, quality of execution of the end product will be another... only time can say.  But, ignoring all the flaws these first gen folable device faces today (which is another problem to deal with after this one), is cost. These foldable device are floating in the $2k US range... and for what? a 600$ phone specs?

It will come, but not today.

As for Intel, I agree with their assesment. All they could do is a make a phone version for their computer card, and you slide in the box in a phone form factor device and there you go, but that requires space. a lot of it. Unless they drop the size into an SD card form factor or something along those lines where the phone can remian thin and light, while still having a decent battery. And by teh time that is possble, phone will evolve, and it won't fit the needs anymore. Timing of tech is important as well as the idea and execution. If Intel release that idea back in the early 2000, with great performance, it would have taken the market by storm, even with smart phone varient, especially that at the time they were super thick, not causing a problem in that regard.

Wouldn't this thread be better in the Tech News subforum? Unless this isn't news...

8 hours ago, Results45 said:

As mentioned by The Verge and Tom's Hardware, the Intel Compute Card died because it does not "make sense in an era of cloud computing

and to them i give a big middle finger, because unfortunately the entire work does not have access to internet that is capable to "cloud" computing. my 8mbps down and 0.5mbps up would also like to give them the middle finger

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

The biggest thing I see wrong here is that once Intel decided to pour money and R&D time into this, phones will still be evolving to get faster, Snapdragon is already developing new chips to easily outperform these items of tech. Intel has probably missed the ball on this like GoodBytes said if they dropped this in the 2000's, it would be a much easier thing to do.

It does sound like a cool idea, just imagine having a card roughly the size of a credit card and it had some onboard storage and you just plug it into different systems throughout the day, loading all of your preferred hotkeys and binds and your programs.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

On 4/10/2019 at 4:34 AM, Sychic said:

Wouldn't this thread be better in the Tech News subforum? Unless this isn't news...

It isn't. x{D

On 4/10/2019 at 5:15 AM, GabeThePCHelper said:

The biggest thing I see wrong here is that once Intel decided to pour money and R&D time into this, phones will still be evolving to get faster, Snapdragon is already developing new chips to easily outperform these items of tech. Intel has probably missed the ball on this like GoodBytes said if they dropped this in the 2000's, it would be a much easier thing to do.

Totally agree. If they had focused on making wallet or credit-card sized PCs back when the first iPhone released in 2007 instead of introducing their lineup of "Atom" chips, they might of had a shot against Apple ;)