GTX 780 has 6 pin and 8 pin psu only has 6 pin

So my title says it all. My gpu needs another 8 pin but my psu only has a 6 pin what could i do thats cheap that will fix this?

1 minute ago, Randomizer23 said:

my psu only has a 6 pin

Your PSU only has one 6pin PCIe connector? Time to get a new PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It's not too expensive to get a new psu, also seeing how you won 't be able to run your gpu with your older one.

I suppose I like a chairs a little too much.

6 pin only? New PSU.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

6 pin only? New PSU.

1 hour ago, TheChairSalesman said:

It's not too expensive to get a new psu, also seeing how you won 't be able to run your gpu with your older one.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Your PSU only has one 6pin PCIe connector? Time to get a new PSU.

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

New PSU.

Lol so many replies of the same. Its a 700w psu shouldn't that be enough?

4 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

It only depends if you have the right connections you need, unless its a modular psu. If you really want to risk a lot, i'm sure you can find an adapter from 6 pin to 8 pin to use on your gpu, it would probably be a better idea to get a new psu, although the psu you have at the moment is not useless.

Your power supply is NOT a 700w power supply if it has only one 6 pin pci-e connector.

6 pin connectors are supposed to transfer up to 75 watts into a video card. 8pin pci-e connectors are designed to transfer double that, up to 150 watts.

The GTX 780 is a video card that consumes up to 200-220 watts ... it takes around 60 watts through the pci-e slot, around 120-150 watts through the pci-e 8 pin connector,, and whatever's left through the extra 6 pin connector.  

If your power supply has only one pci-e 6 pin connector, it means it's lying about its maximum power - manufacturers can put anything on the label if they don't care about their reputation, or if they don't give you the connectors to actually use the advertised value..

Your power supply is probably a 420-500w maximum psu, if it has only one pci-e 6 pin connector.

There are adapters which convert two molex (old hdd connectors) or two sata connectors into a pci-e 6 pin or a pci-e 8 pin connector, but those adapters are meant to be used with video cards that use less power, let's say cards that in total don't need more than around 100 watts (so they take around 50w from slot and around 50w from a pci-e 6pin connector)

With a video card like GTX 780 using such adapters is NOT recommended - you can burn those adapters and you could even damage your video card with such adapters.

59 minutes ago, TheChairSalesman said:

It only depends if you have the right connections you need, unless its a modular psu. If you really want to risk a lot, i'm sure you can find an adapter from 6 pin to 8 pin to use on your gpu, it would probably be a better idea to get a new psu, although the psu you have at the moment is not useless.

I currently have a rocketfish 700w psu its 80 white rated. Can I get a molex to 8 pin?

7 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

If you have a 700W PSU that only has a single six-pin, you don't have a 700W PSU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

I currently have a rocketfish 700w psu its 80 white rated. Can I get a molex to 8 pin?

https://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-Molex-EPS-12V-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00OSR3V84

This is a converter, but doesn't work for a gpu, only motherboard. I also couldn't find a rocket fish 700watt psu. I would upgrade to a more notable and maybe a modular psu.

6 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

No. Molex-to-anything other than Molex is asking for trouble down the road. Get a new PSU that doesn't suck.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Your power supply is NOT a 700w power supply if it has only one 6 pin pci-e connector.

6 pin connectors are supposed to transfer up to 75 watts into a video card. 8pin pci-e connectors are designed to transfer double that, up to 150 watts.

The GTX 780 is a video card that consumes up to 200-220 watts ... it takes around 60 watts through the pci-e slot, around 120-150 watts through the pci-e 8 pin connector,, and whatever's left through the extra 6 pin connector.  

If your power supply has only one pci-e 6 pin connector, it means it's lying about its maximum power - manufacturers can put anything on the label if they don't care about their reputation, or if they don't give you the connectors to actually use the advertised value..

Your power supply is probably a 420-500w maximum psu, if it has only one pci-e 6 pin connector.

There are adapters which convert two molex (old hdd connectors) or two sata connectors into a pci-e 6 pin or a pci-e 8 pin connector, but those adapters are meant to be used with video cards that use less power, let's say cards that in total don't need more than around 100 watts (so they take around 50w from slot and around 50w from a pci-e 6pin connector)

With a video card like GTX 780 using such adapters is NOT recommended - you can burn those adapters and you could even damage your video card with such adapters.

Definitely agree. There's basically nothing else that would be taking that kind of wattage so it wouldn't make sense to only have the one connector if the wattage advertised was accurate. Seems suspicious to me, I'd guess their marketing lied. My only other guess is that it could be REALLY old (as in before the 8 pin connector came out) but I'd recommend a PSU replacement anyway in that case.

You can get a really good 80+ certified 550w-750w (and fully modular) power supply that will last for years for $120 or under. I know EVGA makes some really good ones.

2 minutes ago, dDave64 said:

You can get a really good 80+ certified 550w-750w (and fully modular) power supply that will last for years for $120 or under. I know EVGA makes some really good ones.

You can get a CX550M that's perfectly adequate for a GTX 780 for $50-60 most of the time, as low as $30 if you catch the right sale.

A good PSU is a good investment, never use an inadequately cheap power supply in a system that you want to keep using. Spending on a better PSU is a kind of insurance, and you can stay sub $60 and get something reasonable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have an 850w 80+ PSU without an 8-pin PCIe connector which will have no problem using a 6 to 8 pin adaptor, some how I doubt the OP will have the same sucess though.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

You can get a CX550M that's perfectly adequate for a GTX 780 for $50-60 most of the time, as low as $30 if you catch the right sale.

That is a great deal as well.

I prefer fully modular but that's not bad at all to have the 24 PIN permanently fixed as that connector is always needed. The EVGA definitely has the capability to run more connectors but if you don't need them  and don't care about fully modular then that's very adequate.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I have an 850w 80+ PSU without an 8-pin PCIe connector which will have no problem using a 6 to 8 pin adaptor, some how I doubt the OP will have the same sucess though.

Here's what 80+ means with garbage PSUs like that: the manufacturer made a small number of that model with good parts, sent them off to get the 80+ rating, then mass-produced cheap Chinese firecrackers.

You have a 400W PSU. At best.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Here's what 80+ means with garbage PSUs like that: the manufacturer made a small number of that model with good parts, sent them off to get the 80+ rating, then mass-produced cheap Chinese firecrackers.

You have a 400W PSU. At best.

I have a HP Z800 ;)

1 minute ago, dDave64 said:

That is a great deal as well.

I prefer fully modular but that's not bad at all to have the 24 PIN permanently fixed as that connector is always needed. The EVGA definitely has the capability to run more connectors but if you don't need them  and don't care about fully modular then that's very adequate.

The only real plus of full modular over semi for me is a flat 24-pin. Unless I really want a flat 24-pin for a build, I'll go semi-modular or non-modular to save a few bucks.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I have a HP Z800 ;)

Ok, so you have a proprietary PSU built to manufacturer specifications based upon the usage they expect to see. That's different.

Also, unless it's Lite-On or Delta, it's not really 800W.

29 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Is this your PSU? https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/rocketfish-700-w-power-supply-review/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Ok, so you have a proprietary PSU built to manufacturer specifications based upon the usage they expect to see. That's different.

Also, unless it's Lite-On or Delta, it's not really 800W.

It's a Delta, and with a top price of nearly 10 grand when released, you'd expect it to have a top quality supply!

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

See, I knew Rocketfish made a ton of phone cases and Bluetooth shit for Best Buy back in the day, but I thought surely this was a different Rocketfish. Dynex and Insignia PSUs were always junk, so it's nice to see that the best they can say about the Rocketfish is that it didn't explode.

5 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's a Delta, and with a top price of nearly 10 grand when released, you'd expect it to have a top quality supply!

Delta is the best of the best prebuilt OEMs. If they say 800W, you could probably milk 880W out of it for a short time.

Doesn’t matter how many watts it is, if it can’t support the amperage. 

I had a “700” that had enough connections for 2 cards. 

A 3770k at 780 would have to be at stock settings to make it through a valley benchmark. Crap psu’s won’t last with a card like that. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz