PC or Console. Planning on improving my gaming experience, need advices.

1 hour ago, IceRAR said:

I think with a budget of 1000-1500 is better to stick with the ''console based'' 4k gaming. Not saying that you cant build a PC that can play games in 4k, but the true question is WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE you want with the 4k gaming. Because, 4k gaming at 30 fps at 60Hz without HDR, hase nothing to do with the 4k gaming in 60fps+, at 120Hz+HDR. 

Well I am aware that getting 60 fps on native 4k is pretty much not an option in todays market. But playing on 60fps + is not a big deal for me I can play 30 fps and still enjoy the experience. However 30 fps is minimum for me, I do not want less then 30 fps.

So I am leaning more towards One X on 4k TV for my gaming experience.

59 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

The consoles advertise 4k gaming but the majority of the time it is either locked to 30fps or upscaled from 1440p or 1800p.

with your stretched budget of around 2000 including everything, your pc budget is looking to be about 1200, (assuming a new build and selling your previous one), this is just about enough for a gpu such as an rtx 2070. Whilst not going to be powerful enough to give you true 4k, it in most cases will allow you to run games at 1800p (lower resolution then 4k but higher then 1440p) at (most of the time) 60fps. Which should look better then the 4k output from the xbox one x.

However a true 4k gaming experience at this budget is for the most part unrealistic. If you are ok with in some games less then 60fps or to lower some graphical settings, you may be able to go with a used gtx 1080ti which is the only way to get native 4k gaming at that price.

The consoles are not able to run 4k without compromise, speaking from experience the '4k' from a ps4 pro compared to a 1080p on pc on a 4k tv sitting around 1.5-2 meters away, the pc version looked better. I'm not sure why but am going to assume it is either due to lower graphical settings or the upscaling. (the xbox one x should do a little better but in most tests online it is comparable to a gtx 1060/70.

Yes I agree on all parts you mention and I am aware that what you are saying is the reality in todays market and generation of consoles. But my goal is to play on a 4k TV and that will be my reality regardless of what platform I choose. So the question is based on whether or not I will do that with a PC or console, with the goal to get the best resolution possible for my budget. I do not care as much about performance as others, I am fine with 30fps+ (but not less then 30 fps). 

I have also heard the the Xbox One X use supersampling which either way does give a better experience (not completely sure how it works so I dont stand behind this argument 100%) and that a console will work better on a TV compared to a PC (as someone mentioned on this thread about HDR and PC not always going well together)

But you are right and thats why I will still consider my options and there is alot of other things to consider like, multiplayer, VR, game library, etc. But I could also still keep my current computer for PC gaming on 1080p or 1440p for PC games and perhaps give it smaller upgrades in the future and get an Xbox One X for the 4k TV (then I would be able aim for good resolution gaming on the TV and aim for better performance on PC but with less resolution)

19 minutes ago, Kryppan said:

Yes I agree on all parts you mention and I am aware that what you are saying is the reality in todays market and generation of consoles. But my goal is to play on a 4k TV and that will be my reality regardless of what platform I choose. So the question is based on whether or not I will do that with a PC or console, with the goal to get the best resolution possible for my budget. I do not care as much about performance as others, I am fine with 30fps+ (but not less then 30 fps). 

I have also heard the the Xbox One X use supersampling which either way does give a better experience (not completely sure how it works so I dont stand behind this argument 100%) and that a console will work better on a TV compared to a PC (as someone mentioned on this thread about HDR and PC not always going well together)

But you are right and thats why I will still consider my options and there is alot of other things to consider like, multiplayer, VR, game library, etc. But I could also still keep my current computer for PC gaming on 1080p or 1440p for PC games and perhaps give it smaller upgrades in the future and get an Xbox One X for the 4k TV (then I would be able aim for good resolution gaming on the TV and aim for better performance on PC but with less resolution)

the supersampling refers to rendering at a higher resolution then that of the display and using that for better quality, it only does that on 1080p displays.

if you are ok with 4k 30fps, then either option is fine.

2 hours ago, k.m.p said:

the supersampling refers to rendering at a higher resolution then that of the display and using that for better quality, it only does that on 1080p displays.

if you are ok with 4k 30fps, then either option is fine.

Oh okay I see, supersampling wouldnt really matter on a 4k TV then I presum.

Aye, good to know, then I will keep that in mind. Ty for your answear.

I say skip 4k gaming as its really not worth it due to the cost factor.

And yes this means no to the Xbox one X too as honestly its a marketing gimmick.

I say aim for 1440p in terms of gaming PC and upgrade what you have, ignore the marketing of the Xbox as its all lies.

At best the Xbox can do is 2K upscaled as there is no way in hell that hardware is pushing true 4k.

Not to mention here soon new consoles will come anyhow so why waste money on a last gen console?

Save up money, put it into your machine.

Its the better idea.

Only fools rush in

I had another idea. Samsung has a Samsung Upgrade 0% financing option on their website for TVs, where you pay a low monthly (~$50 depending on model) and get a new TV every 2 years, and their new QLED tvs are great for gaming with FreeSync (which XBox One X supports). In theory if you could swing $55 a month, you could get a Gaming PC upgrade, and X-Box One X, and then a Samsung Q-LED on monthly payments.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

I say skip 4k gaming as its really not worth it due to the cost factor.

And yes this means no to the Xbox one X too as honestly its a marketing gimmick.

I say aim for 1440p in terms of gaming PC and upgrade what you have, ignore the marketing of the Xbox as its all lies.

At best the Xbox can do is 2K upscaled as there is no way in hell that hardware is pushing true 4k.

Not to mention here soon new consoles will come anyhow so why waste money on a last gen console?

Save up money, put it into your machine.

Its the better idea.

Only fools rush in

You got good points in what you are writing. And I will keep that in mind. 

But then again to get that TV gaming that I want I still need to get my PC hooked up with the TV and fix controller and everything around it. Im not completely sure how that would work out (performance and quality wise) and how to enable that, but I guess its pretty straigth forward and there are probably some good guides here on internet on that subject. I know steam got a good solution that you can use to play on a TV with controller through the PC. Tho I am not sure how Local co-op/splitscreen on TV would work through the PC. And If I choose too upgrade my PC I have no idea what parts I would need to upgrade or not, to get close to 4k or native 4k experience with my budget.

And on the subject about next gen consoles. I have thougth about that aswell but the price of a One X is going down and I could probably get one for 400$ or less and the next gen consoles are rumored to be announced at the end of this year or 2020 and then it will probably take even longer for them to be released? But Ofcourse if I beef up my current computer I wont need to wait for that. 

29 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

I had another idea. Samsung has a Samsung Upgrade 0% financing option on their website for TVs, where you pay a low monthly (~$50 depending on model) and get a new TV every 2 years, and their new QLED tvs are great for gaming with FreeSync (which XBox One X supports). In theory if you could swing $55 a month, you could get a Gaming PC upgrade, and X-Box One X, and then a Samsung Q-LED on monthly payments.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs

Thats actually a really intresting deal for sure! But I am not certain how that would work for me in Sweden (if that matters) or if it fits in my situation. But perhaps I can find that deal in Sweden or similar if it wouldnt work out. Thanks you for the tip, its worth looking into.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but my two cents on the mattar are this...

A powerful PC will offer a more capable 4K gaming experience in a wider variety of titles han consoles are capable of powering, also of course providing the other freedoms and capabilities that are inherent to the platform, but it'll be more expensive and potentially a little bit more hassle.

My preference is the PC, but yours may not necessarily align with that. In the end, it comes down to what's important to you in a gaming platform.

"uhhhhhhhhhh yeah id go with the 2600 its a good value for the money"

Here's a blast from the past

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Yea, this is a non question from a certain point. What games do you play should be enough to answer your question... in my humblest of humblest of opinions…

Other sides could be:
do you have a green heart? if yea use a console coupled with your 4k t.v. 
do you want to be a lazy gamer? choose a console 
do you frown upon most games played in the tactical strategic real time scene, get a console 

5 minutes ago, 2SidedPolygon said:

I haven't read through this entire thread, but my two cents on the mattar are this...

A powerful PC will offer a more capable 4K gaming experience in a wider variety of titles han consoles are capable of powering, also of course providing the other freedoms and capabilities that are inherent to the platform, but it'll be more expensive and potentially a little bit more hassle.

My preference is the PC, but yours may not necessarily align with that. In the end, it comes down to what's important to you in a gaming platform.

Those two cents are well appreciated. And thats the big reason for why I even made this post is because I see it the way you see it and I see benefits with getting a console in my situation aswell as upgrading my PC or build a completely new one for my specific need. This post is made so people can share their opinion on this, because I might find answears and see solutions in different ways that I otherwise would not have.

7 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Here's a blast from the past

Yeah I have seen that and it really brings up reasons that makes me lean more towards upgrading my PC. But there is also more things to my situation that would make me lean more towards console. But that video sure sheds more light on this whole thing.

26 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Yea, this is a non question from a certain point. What games do you play should be enough to answer your question... in my humblest of humblest of opinions…

Other sides could be:
do you have a green heart? if yea use a console coupled with your 4k t.v. 
do you want to be a lazy gamer? choose a console 
do you frown upon most games played in the tactical strategic real time scene, get a console 

Yeah ofcourse, this is a very broad subject and question. Very specific and opinion-based solution aswell. It all comes down to what I prefer at the end of the day and what I feel like investing my time and money in. There is more then just gaming to consider aswell, but on this specific thread I focus on the gaming experience.

But as of right now I am a very casual gamer that enjoy pretty much everthing. But to be more specific, I aim to play racing games, open world games, games that support local co-op/splitscreen and things like DOOM, wolfenstein on a 4k TV. And then use my computer for more competative games where I feel performance and 144 hz etc is more important then the visuals. But ofcourse I could get all that in one PC, and thats why I started this thread because I see two solutions; get a console for the TV and keep my current PC (with perhaps smaller upgrades) or upgrade my PC enough so that it can do everything and not get a console. But thats only for me to decide, but everything shared here helps me with that, because tbh I know not much about upgrading a PC and its performance. But I also do not know much about console experience.

All opinions shared here do help me with my decision, so thank you for your humblest of opinions.

By the sounds of it, keeping your current PC and getting the XBX for the 4K TV is the route you are set on.

Not a bad route to go.  I myself own a PC, a XBX, and a PS4 Pro.  The two consoles are hooked to my OLED 4K TV.  And, the PC is hooked to a 4K HDR capable monitor with a side 1440p monitor.  From my experience, I enjoy both the consoles and the PC.  Consoles give an easy to use entertainment device for my TV, and the PC is when I want to push everything to the max; just fire up Minecraft; or play a game with a mod installed.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 4/2/2019 at 7:00 PM, KoeppColto024470 said:

You never want to play PC on a TV

That's just wrong on so many levels. And total bullshit.

Yes, you want that and you can do it. A TV isn't much more than a Monitor...

And there is the BIG PICTURE MODE in Steam, many Games even on PC supporting XBox Controller, some even the PS4 Controller (wich is getting more and more prevalent, even with the PS4 Buttons).

On 4/2/2019 at 7:00 PM, KoeppColto024470 said:

personally I've always had a bad experience where the graphics on a tv are slightly off compared to a monitor but that could just be a issue with the brand I used which was Samsung. 

nVidia GPU?? No settings for the Colorspace??

For GAMING its not a Problem, you don't want to surf the Internet though...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

By the sounds of it, keeping your current PC and getting the XBX for the 4K TV is the route you are set on.

Not a bad route to go.  I myself own a PC, a XBX, and a PS4 Pro.  The two consoles are hooked to my OLED 4K TV.  And, the PC is hooked to a 4K HDR capable monitor with a side 1440p monitor.  From my experience, I enjoy both the consoles and the PC.  Consoles give an easy to use entertainment device for my TV, and the PC is when I want to push everything to the max; just fire up Minecraft; or play a game with a mod installed.

Yeah thats the solution I am leaning most towards and its nice to hear your experience on this because you already have that setup. And the fact that the Xbox One X also include a 4k bluyray option is great for the overall TV entertainment.

1 minute ago, Kryppan said:

And the fact that the Xbox One X also include a 4k bluyray option is great for the overall TV entertainment.

...wich consumes around 100W in that situation.

No, seriously, get either a Playstation or use your PC.

For "4k Gaming", both consoles are barely enough and struggling.

With the Playstation 4 you at least get a couple of awesome games you couldn't play before -> God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man, Infamous Second Son (and first Light) and a couple of other stuff.

And Support for Standard Bluetooth Devices.

on the XBox One you get, ähm. Rare Replay?? And that's about it. No Bluetooth Headset Support...

For an "Entertainment Center" its missing HDMI CEC -> beeing able to be controlled by your TV Remote. Playstation does that but I would recommend NEITHER Console for Multimedia.

They are BOTH garbage compared to a PC or a normal Media Device. Though a Windows PC with MPC-HC or BE are hard to beat.

Buttom Line:
I'd invest in PC first and use that as Primary stuff.

The Console for Console stuff. But what about Nintendo Switch??

I know it doesn't have really 4k Support BUT: Has a ton of awesome exclusive Games, especially if you don't have known a WiiU.

Breath of The Wild alone should be worth it.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

If you can get a budget 4K TV, that can leave you a fair bit of room for a good GPU with your budget.

I'd personally vote PC.  I occasionally game on my 4K tv with my PC and I'm running a 4670k with a gtx 1080.  If you can look at getting a 2080 or 2080TI then you're set.

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

...wich consumes around 100W in that situation.

No, seriously, get either a Playstation or use your PC.

For "4k Gaming", both consoles are barely enough and struggling.

With the Playstation 4 you at least get a couple of awesome games you couldn't play before -> God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man, Infamous Second Son (and first Light) and a couple of other stuff.

And Support for Standard Bluetooth Devices.

on the XBox One you get, ähm. Rare Replay?? And that's about it. No Bluetooth Headset Support...

For an "Entertainment Center" its missing HDMI CEC -> beeing able to be controlled by your TV Remote. Playstation does that but I would recommend NEITHER Console for Multimedia.

They are BOTH garbage compared to a PC or a normal Media Device. Though a Windows PC with MPC-HC or BE are hard to beat.

Buttom Line:
I'd invest in PC first and use that as Primary stuff.

The Console for Console stuff. But what about Nintendo Switch??

I know it doesn't have really 4k Support BUT: Has a ton of awesome exclusive Games, especially if you don't have known a WiiU.

Breath of The Wild alone should be worth it.

Yes the fact that ps4 got all of those exclusives is great and also support for VR. They are the reasons I would consider PS4. But compared to the Xbox One X performance wise (with best graphic and resolution in mind, capable of both the consoles, native 4k or not) the Xbox got better performance and resolution. Atleast if you check the results from 4-5 comparing videos.

However the PC option for TV gaming and 4k, for my specific goal, is a viable option and one that I consider alot instead of getting the Xbox One X. 

And as I have pointed out earlier. I dont mind playing on 30 FPS, if that in return would give me a native 4k or close to 4k resolution for the budget I have set. 

Nintendo Switch could be intresting, but its not really my cup of tea.

12 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

If you can get a budget 4K TV, that can leave you a fair bit of room for a good GPU with your budget.

I'd personally vote PC.  I occasionally game on my 4K tv with my PC and I'm running a 4670k with a gtx 1080.  If you can look at getting a 2080 or 2080TI then you're set.

If its enough to only upgrade my GPU and PSU (obviously my current 500W wont be enough) then I will really consider getting a high-end GPU . But only if that would be enough, because how good would a rtx 2080 or 2080ti work with my CPU etc. and other older parts? 

1 minute ago, Kryppan said:

If its enough to only upgrade my GPU and PSU (obviously 500W wont be enough) then I will really consider getting a high-end GPU . But only if that would be enough, because how good would that work with my CPU etc. and other older parts? 

Should work just fine with your CPU.  At 4k the bottleneck tends to shift the GPU.  I'm running an overclocked 4670k @4ghz and I'm probably still good to use this cpu for a long while.  I also mostly game at 1080p @144hz where the bottleneck tends to be cpu and i still pump out some good frames on my gtx 1080.  Some newer titles might benefit more from a higher core cpu but your cpu is no slouch.

24 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

I also mostly game at 1080p @144hz where the bottleneck tends to be cpu and i still pump out some good frames on my gtx 1080.  Some newer titles might benefit more from a higher core cpu but your cpu is no slouch.

Are we still talking about 4k gaming ? 

Lets get this right... WHAT DOES 4k Gaming MEANS ?  I think we need a new topic... One thing i know for sure : with a 2000 CANADIAN DOLARS  you ain't gonna experience 4k gaming (PC), maybe at ''entry level''. And i dare to say, not even with a XBOX one, keeping in mind what TV you need, capable of 60Hz+ and HDR (!)

31 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Should work just fine with your CPU.  At 4k the bottleneck tends to shift the GPU.  I'm running an overclocked 4670k @4ghz and I'm probably still good to use this cpu for a long while.  I also mostly game at 1080p @144hz where the bottleneck tends to be cpu and i still pump out some good frames on my gtx 1080.  Some newer titles might benefit more from a higher core cpu but your cpu is no slouch.

Well that sounds really interesting, I will do some more research on that matter before I make a decision.

He had a concern about this current hardware. I figure his CPU is still worthy and wanted to point out where it could bottleneck him (and point out that I run a very similar cpu).  From my understanding, at 4k, the bottleneck tends to shift to the GPU meaning he shouldn't have to worry about replacing his CPU if that's not in his budget.