PC or Console. Planning on improving my gaming experience, need advices.

So I will try to make my situation as short as possible, but I want to give a clear picture of what decision I need to make and I would really appreciate help from you guys.

My goal: Is to play games in 4k resolution on a good 4k TV with great sound system sitting on a couch and possibly play some local CO-OP/split screen from time to time. (mostly play by myself)

My current situation: I only play on PC and my gaming setup is as following;

CPU: 

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.5 GHz
Number of Cores 4

GPU: 

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Manufacturer
Chipset GeForce GTX 960
Dedicated Memory 4.0 GB
Total Memory 10 GB

Memory:
RAM 12 GB

Motherboard: Z97-P

Current monitor is: 

ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR, 27'', 2560 x 1440 with 165hz and g-sync.

Power supply:

is 500W 

By end of may this year or the start of June is when I am planning to upgrade my gaming experience (due to me and my girlfriend is moving into a new apartment by that time), we will get a 4k TV to our new apartment regardless.

Budget: I am willing to spend 1000$ - 1500$, but that includes everything; Montiors/tv, parts, console, controllers, cables etc. I could eventually stretch the budget to about 2000$ by the time I am getting everything.

My question to you is as follow:

To reach my goal (you can find my goal at the start of this thread) should I try to upgrade my current PC, build/buy a completely new PC or get Xbox One X? Keep in mind that what ever i decide to do, I want to play on a 4k TV. So I will need a 4k nonetheless but the TV will be bought by me and my girlfriend so the price of the TV will be split amongst us 2.

- I am aware that this a long thread but I would really like some advices on what to do and for you to shed some light on my situation and decision to make. Especially from someone that know alot more then me when it comes to gaming experience, PC, console and more.

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, Kryppan said:

To reach my goal (you can find my goal at the start of this thread) should I try to upgrade my current PC, build/buy a completely new PC or get Xbox One X? Keep in mind that what ever i decide to do, I want to play on a 4k TV. So I will need a 4k nonetheless but the TV will be bought by me and my girlfriend so the price of the TV will be split amongst us 2.

If you have a sizeable library to play on the PC and you don't have any exclusive you want to play on the Xbox One (not that there are many left, if any at all), the only advantage the Xbox One X would have over a PC is the ability to play UHD Bluray. If that's not something you care about, then the only issue is what your performance goals are. 4K 60FPS is hard to push even for current high-end hardware if you're trying to push maximum quality. The GPU that could handle that would easily eat over half the budget you're willing to spend.

7 hours ago, KoeppColto024470 said:

You never want to play PC on a TV personally I've always had a bad experience where the graphics on a tv are slightly off compared to a monitor but that could just be a issue with the brand I used which was Samsung. 

Good to know!

6 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you have a sizeable library to play on the PC and you don't have any exclusive you want to play on the Xbox One (not that there are many left, if any at all), the only advantage the Xbox One X would have over a PC is the ability to play UHD Bluray. If that's not something you care about, then the only issue is what your performance goals are. 4K 60FPS is hard to push even for current high-end hardware if you're trying to push maximum quality. The GPU that could handle that would easily eat over half the budget you're willing to spend.

Well I am getting a 4k TV regardless because me and my girlfriend will use it for more then gaming like movies, youtube etc. So the UHD Bluray will most likely be used eventually.
And yes I am aware that 4k 60FPS is hard to push if you dont want to spend money on a high-end PC, that why I am atm leaning more towards the Xbox One X.

But then I also need to pay for multiplayer and as you said Xbox doesnt really have much to offer compared to a PC, almost no exclusives etc. No VR aswell for that matter.

31 minutes ago, KoeppColto024470 said:

You never want to play PC on a TV personally I've always had a bad experience where the graphics on a tv are slightly off compared to a monitor but that could just be a issue with the brand I used which was Samsung. 

I have been using a PC with multiple TVs for over a decade now, I think your issue is likely just that your TV is not calibrated as well as the monitor, or vice versa, and its just harder to see that with moving images. But that is true with different monitors as well.

The only real issue with PC on TV right now is that a lot of games that have good HDR support on console do not have it on PC, or it fails to work on PC. HDR is really the only area where the PC - TV setup is a issue compared to consoles.

As for the OP, I would put the money into a PC; new consoles are coming next year, not a great time to buy in.

2 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

As for the OP, I would put the money into a PC; new consoles are coming next year, not a great time to buy in.

I have been thinking the same thing, to perhaps wait for the new gen consoles. But at the same time the price for Xbox One X has gone down and I could probably be able to get one for 400$. 

HDR is a pretty big deal if I want to have a good gaming experience on a 4k TV isnt it? So if it is as you say it is, then a Xbox One X would provide a little bit better experience on the TV compared to a PC.

16 minutes ago, Kryppan said:

I have been thinking the same thing, to perhaps wait for the new gen consoles. But at the same time the price for Xbox One X has gone down and I could probably be able to get one for 400$. 

HDR is a pretty big deal if I want to have a good gaming experience on a 4k TV isnt it? So if it is as you say it is, then a Xbox One X would provide a little bit better experience on the TV compared to a PC.

Tbh, it sounds like you have your mind made up.

Get the xbox one x and play some games.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

32 minutes ago, Kryppan said:

Not sure what country you in.  But, I seen the price drop down to 350 with a game for the Xbox One X here in the States.

This was on Newegg.  Best Buy will price match them too.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

20 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

Tbh, it sounds like you have your mind made up.

Get the xbox one x and play some games.

Haha yh when I read this conversation it sure does. And it pretty much is, but I wont be buying anything until late May or start of June anyway, so I am looking to find the the best solution until then and see what other people would suggest.

Just now, Kryppan said:

Haha yh when I read this conversation it sure does. And it pretty much is, but I wont be buying anything until late May or start of June anyway, so I am looking to find the the best solution until then and see what other people would suggest.

To be quite honest, I enjoy playing games on both my pc and my consoles.

You just have to find what works for you and go with it. Your current PC can still handle games decently, I'd imagine, so the decision is ultimately up to you.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Not sure what country you in.  But, I seen the price drop down to 350 with a game for the Xbox One X here in the States.

This was on Newegg.  Best Buy will price match them too.

Oh 350 is a really cheap price!
I live in Sweden and the price is between 400 - 500$ With a game/games here, it will probably go down abit during sales aswell.

1 hour ago, Kryppan said:

Budget: I am willing to spend 1000$ - 1500$, but that includes everything; Montiors/tv, parts, console, controllers, cables etc. I could eventually stretch the budget to about 2000$ by the time I am getting everything.

Wait so the 4K TV you're upgrading to is a part of the budget you have set? So really your budget is -$450 for the 4K TV, because you are for sure getting one. I mean a decent 4K TV and Xbox one X would be about $800 - $950 total depending on what size and brand you want for the TV it could be a lot more, and a major factor is it would be probably a bit more than that to just build a decent PC to play games in 4K, considering your budget  I think a new PC is off the table, you could get the Xbox One X and 4K TV as well as a couple upgrades for your current computer and have both the Xbox One X and 4K TV setup and so when you do want to play some PC games you have your PC at like a desk or something with your current monitor and peripherals, mainly my whole post depends on if the 4K TV you are getting is a part of your budget or not. That's my personal setup I have my gaming PC with 1440p 165hz monitor at my desk, and my 65" Samsung 4K TV is wall mounted with a neat little stand for my PS4 PRO. So I can play both depending on what I feel like and also have a 4K TV for movies and streaming services.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I'd expect most folks here to lean toward the PC gaming side, but I'd have to recommend a console for your use case. A console will afford you the luxuries of a turn-key solution and open up the rest of your budget for a higher end 4K display and sound system. 

In the US, a PS4 Pro / X1X can be had in the $350-ish USD range. You're then looking at roughly $300-400 USD for a decent name brand 4K + HDR display in the 50" range, which is optimal for something like 6 feet of distance for seating arrangements. I see you're in Sweden, so I can't comment on your pricing, but a 4K capable console would be the path of least resistance IMO.

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Wait so the 4K TV you're upgrading to is a part of the budget you have set? So really your budget is -$450 for the 4K TV, because you are for sure getting one. I mean a decent 4K TV and Xbox one X would be about $800 - $950 total depending on what size and brand you want for the TV it could be a lot more, and a major factor is it would be probably a bit more than that to just build a decent PC to play games in 4K, considering your budget  I think a new PC is off the table, you could get the Xbox One X and 4K TV as well as a couple upgrades for your current computer and have both the Xbox One X and 4K TV setup and so when you do want to play some PC games you have your PC at like a desk or something with your current monitor and peripherals, mainly my whole post depends on if the 4K TV you are getting is a part of your budget or not. That's my personal setup I have my gaming PC with 1440p 165hz monitor at my desk, and my 65" Samsung 4K TV is wall mounted with a neat little stand for my PS4 PRO. So I can play both depending on what I feel like and also have a 4K TV for movies and streaming services.

Sorry for the post not being clear on that note. But yes the 4k tv is part of the budget I have set, tho my girlfriend will also be paying for the TV so the price will be split amongst us 2. So depending on the price of the TV I will pay only 50% of the total price. However she wont pay anything on the console or PC or any gaming related stuff, only the TV.

You and I are on the same boat I believe, because so far I am thinking of doing exactly the way you suggest I should do. It makes most sense in my situation. Get Xbox One X with the 4k TV and keep my PC and potentially make smaller upgrades to it for PC gaming. 

I appreciate your comment. 

1 hour ago, KoeppColto024470 said:

You can fix that, with nvidia sharp edge enchament and other stuff too. I used 3, 32 inch TVs in a setup for programming. Works great.

15 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

I'd expect most folks here to lean toward the PC gaming side, but I'd have to recommend a console for your use case. A console will afford you the luxuries of a turn-key solution and open up the rest of your budget for a higher end 4K display and sound system. 

In the US, a PS4 Pro / X1X can be had in the $350-ish USD range. You're then looking at roughly $300-400 USD for a decent name brand 4K + HDR display in the 50" range, which is optimal for something like 6 feet of distance for seating arrangements. I see you're in Sweden, so I can't comment on your pricing, but a 4K capable console would be the path of least resistance IMO.

Sounds really good and I believe this would be the best solution to my situation. I appreciate your comment.

Its like 50-100$ more in Sweden compared to the US, it wont make that big of a different. And computer parts is also more expensive in Sweden most of the time.

I play both personally, I love PC but not as much console, unless it’s a game that my pc can’t do fully stable, then I’d play it on console, since performance will definitely be stable.

There is a good argument that for $2k the best experience is an X-Box One X with a $1500 LG B series 55 Inch OLED. In terms of overall picture quality.

3 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

There is a good argument that for $2k the best experience is an X-Box One X with a $1500 LG B series 55 Inch OLED. In terms of overall picture quality.

That argument makes sense when you really look into it.

That would actually make a decent LTT video. 55 inch TCL Roku TV (~$560) + $1400 PC vs XBox One X + 55 inch OLED. 

Does the increased framerates of the PC make up for the decreased visual quality of the LED TV?  

2 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

That would actually make a decent LTT video. 55 inch TCL Roku TV (~$560) + $1400 PC vs XBox One X + 55 inch OLED. 

Does the increased framerates of the PC make up for the decreased visual quality of the LED TV?  

It sure would be an intresting video and topic and it would bring more to the table.

6 hours ago, Kryppan said:

I am aware that this a long thread but I would really like some advices on what to do and for you to shed some light on my situation and decision to make. Especially from someone that know alot more then me when it comes to gaming experience, PC, console and more.

Id get the Xbox One for the TV, just because thats what consoles are built for. Id keep your current gaming PC, I have i5 3570K and for the most part it can still do well with a lot of modern Titles. So I would imagine your machine could hold its own for the most part. I mean you could look in to some upgrades in the future, but Id just keep what you have. Get an Xbox One if your looking to game on a TV. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Id get the Xbox One for the TV, just because thats what consoles are built for. Id keep your current gaming PC, I have i5 3570K and for the most part it can still do well with a lot of modern Titles. So I would imagine your machine could hold its own for the most part. I mean you could look in to some upgrades in the future, but Id just keep what you have. Get an Xbox One if your looking to game on a TV. 

Yeah that would seem like the best way to go, because I will for sure still use my computer for gaming with some friends or play games thats not on Xbox. But I wont try to get 4k on my computer, I am fine with 1440p or just 1080p for computer gaming so my current setup will do fine in that regard and I can use the remaning money to do some smaller upgrades as you mentioned. I might upgrade it either way for the option to play VR. 

17 hours ago, Kryppan said:

I think with a budget of 1000-1500 is better to stick with the ''console based'' 4k gaming. Not saying that you cant build a PC that can play games in 4k, but the true question is WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE you want with the 4k gaming. Because, 4k gaming at 30 fps at 60Hz without HDR, hase nothing to do with the 4k gaming in 60fps+, at 120Hz+HDR. 

The consoles advertise 4k gaming but the majority of the time it is either locked to 30fps or upscaled from 1440p or 1800p.

with your stretched budget of around 2000 including everything, your pc budget is looking to be about 1200, (assuming a new build and selling your previous one), this is just about enough for a gpu such as an rtx 2070. Whilst not going to be powerful enough to give you true 4k, it in most cases will allow you to run games at 1800p (lower resolution then 4k but higher then 1440p) at (most of the time) 60fps. Which should look better then the 4k output from the xbox one x.

However a true 4k gaming experience at this budget is for the most part unrealistic. If you are ok with in some games less then 60fps or to lower some graphical settings, you may be able to go with a used gtx 1080ti which is the only way to get native 4k gaming at that price.

The consoles are not able to run 4k without compromise, speaking from experience the '4k' from a ps4 pro compared to a 1080p on pc on a 4k tv sitting around 1.5-2 meters away, the pc version looked better. I'm not sure why but am going to assume it is either due to lower graphical settings or the upscaling. (the xbox one x should do a little better but in most tests online it is comparable to a gtx 1060/70.