PC or Console. Planning on improving my gaming experience, need advices.

10 minutes ago, IceRAR said:

Are we still talking about 4k gaming ? 

Lets get this right... WHAT DOES 4k Gaming MEANS ?  I think we need a new topic... One thing i know for sure : with a 2000 CANADIAN DOLARS  you ain't gonna experience 4k gaming (PC), maybe at ''entry level''. And i dare to say, not even with a XBOX one, keeping in mind what TV you need, capable of 60Hz+ and HDR (!)

The thing is people have proved that 4k gaming is a reality with that budget, if you are okay with frames at around 30 - 60 fps which I am. And ofcourse depending on what true 4k really is, but thats up for debate.

And as I've pointed out before, the 4k TV will be split between me and my girlfriend so I will pay 50% of the total price. And we will get a 50-55 inch 4k TV so the total price tag wont be that much for a TV.

In all honesty i encourage you to get a console, a ps4 at that. It's simpler, more social and relashionship friendly. It's cheaper and easier to maintaine. I mean, i depends what you want to do and play on it. As a long time PC user i'm telling you it's worth it. Don't want to write an essay thou. 

9 hours ago, centurion_08 said:

In all honesty i encourage you to get a console, a ps4 at that. It's simpler, more social and relashionship friendly. It's cheaper and easier to maintaine. I mean, i depends what you want to do and play on it. As a long time PC user i'm telling you it's worth it. Don't want to write an essay thou. 

It sure is an option I will consider, and I can see why a ps4 would be great in my situation compared to the other options.

I'm going to just skip over... pretty much everything. Your PC is pretty similar to mine, FX-8350, 2gb 960, 24gb of RAM (Win7 only allows 16.) I regularly use my 144hz monitor, a 49" 4k in the living room, and a... fairly large >50" HDR 4k with a friends Xbone X. And my PS4 pro.

4K is basically useless, unless you buy a gargantuan TV or sit REALLY close. We recently got a 49" 4k after returning our old 1080 one for being painfully slow to operate. I messed around with it a bit and rendered out some 1080 and 4k images in Blender, as well as some real life pictures and flipped through them. I couldn't see a difference any more than 5 feet away, and even then it was pretty minimal. Just something to consider, but 4k TV's are the norm and pretty cheap now.

HDR has absolutely no method of color calibration. The standards are all over the place, and individual media has separate settings for the brightness, and dynamic contrast modes and backlighting tends to ruin it anyways. I'd rather color accuracy than perceived brightness. Maybe my buddies TV isn't calibrated quite right, or my eyes are fucked, but I've messed with the settings and as I said there's zero calibration for HDR right now. I just don't think I see the difference, especially not when it's got the local dimming and dynamic contrast.

I also have a Yamaha RX-V379 hooked up to my PC that I'm really happy with... this is a moot point I'm realizing... AVRs don't support higher than 60 Hz, so on my PC it's a second monitor that doesn't really exist since my primary is 144hz. But you'll be using a TV so I guess it doesn't matter. Any console and the PC all have great surround sound support. Oh, PC browsers don't support Dolby playback, so you only get stereo from streaming services. The consoles don't use HTML6 or whatever so they work fine. The built in app in the TV should support 5.1 as well, but the TV interfaces are generally clunky.

I'd say just get a console and keep the PC on the side. I don't know. Everything has flaws.

#Muricaparrotgang

6 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'm going to just skip over... pretty much everything. Your PC is pretty similar to mine, FX-8350, 2gb 960, 24gb of RAM (Win7 only allows 16.) I regularly use my 144hz monitor, a 49" 4k in the living room, and a... fairly large >50" HDR 4k with a friends Xbone X. And my PS4 pro.

4K is basically useless, unless you buy a gargantuan TV or sit REALLY close. We recently got a 49" 4k after returning our old 1080 one for being painfully slow to operate. I messed around with it a bit and rendered out some 1080 and 4k images in Blender, as well as some real life pictures and flipped through them. I couldn't see a difference any more than 5 feet away, and even then it was pretty minimal. Just something to consider, but 4k TV's are the norm and pretty cheap now.

HDR has absolutely no method of color calibration. The standards are all over the place, and individual media has separate settings for the brightness, and dynamic contrast modes and backlighting tends to ruin it anyways. I'd rather color accuracy than perceived brightness. Maybe my buddies TV isn't calibrated quite right, or my eyes are fucked, but I've messed with the settings and as I said there's zero calibration for HDR right now. I just don't think I see the difference, especially not when it's got the local dimming and dynamic contrast.

I also have a Yamaha RX-V379 hooked up to my PC that I'm really happy with... this is a moot point I'm realizing... AVRs don't support higher than 60 Hz, so on my PC it's a second monitor that doesn't really exist since my primary is 144hz. But you'll be using a TV so I guess it doesn't matter. Any console and the PC all have great surround sound support. Oh, PC browsers don't support Dolby playback, so you only get stereo from streaming services. The consoles don't use HTML6 or whatever so they work fine. The built in app in the TV should support 5.1 as well, but the TV interfaces are generally clunky.

I'd say just get a console and keep the PC on the side. I don't know. Everything has flaws.

Great answear! I really appreciate it. Everything you wrote is pretty much the same as I am thinking atm, it do feel like 4k and HDR and all that is big words for marketing but in reality the difference is not that much and I probably wont be able to tell a big difference when I am gaming.

Also, thanks for mentioning the sound, I didnt know the things you brought up and sound is important for me to able to complete the experience.

Right know I am looking into the difference between normal LED, QLED and OLED. Im trying to see if there is really a point in getting a QLED or OLED over a normal 4k LED (the price difference in my country is pretty big, normal 4k LED is way cheaper at around 500-700$ while OLED and QLED is around 1200-2000+$) 

But yes, I will most likely get a console and keep my PC on the side. It seems like the best option.

8 hours ago, Kryppan said:

Great answear! I really appreciate it. Everything you wrote is pretty much the same as I am thinking atm, it do feel like 4k and HDR and all that is big words for marketing but in reality the difference is not that much and I probably wont be able to tell a big difference when I am gaming.

Also, thanks for mentioning the sound, I didnt know the things you brought up and sound is important for me to able to complete the experience.

Right know I am looking into the difference between normal LED, QLED and OLED. Im trying to see if there is really a point in getting a QLED or OLED over a normal 4k LED (the price difference in my country is pretty big, normal 4k LED is way cheaper at around 500-700$ while OLED and QLED is around 1200-2000+$) 

But yes, I will most likely get a console and keep my PC on the side. It seems like the best option.

The thing about HDR is... well a few things. One, it's new, which is why there's no actual calibration for it. The other is that standards are only recently being made, and there's the Vesa standard, Dolby Vision, and something else that's slipping my mind.

The Vesa standard has different ranges, based on maximum light output from like 400 nits to 1000, and TVs can fall anywhere between there, or above or below it. which also makes the calibration practically impossible. https://displayhdr.org

And here's a thing on Dolby vision: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf

I just don't know what to say about HDR. I guess I'm not the most experienced in it, but for me personally, I'd rather have the definitive knowledge of knowing my color accuracy is on point. Until HDR becomes more easily and readily calibratable I'm not ready to hop on the wagon. It seems fine for general movie watching and stuff though.

I recommend the Yamaha receivers if you want surround sound. Granted, it's the only one I've owned outside of an Onkyo from 2003, but comparing it with my brothers Pioneer (which he bought for more money because it had like... an extra 5 watts of power or something) the Yamaha has way more features and it's a much easier system to set up and use. I've never had a problem with it, but his Pioneer seems to need fiddling a lot.

I haven't looked into QLED or it's differences with regular LED, but OLED will have the absolute best contrast since every pixel can be turned off individually for perfect blacks with no back light bleed. They do get some burn in, so static images should be shuffled up a bit, but it's not as bad as the old Plasma TVs. Most modern smart phones use OLED screens.

#Muricaparrotgang

15 hours ago, JZStudios said:

The thing about HDR is... well a few things. One, it's new, which is why there's no actual calibration for it. The other is that standards are only recently being made, and there's the Vesa standard, Dolby Vision, and something else that's slipping my mind.

The Vesa standard has different ranges, based on maximum light output from like 400 nits to 1000, and TVs can fall anywhere between there, or above or below it. which also makes the calibration practically impossible. https://displayhdr.org

And here's a thing on Dolby vision: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf

I just don't know what to say about HDR. I guess I'm not the most experienced in it, but for me personally, I'd rather have the definitive knowledge of knowing my color accuracy is on point. Until HDR becomes more easily and readily calibratable I'm not ready to hop on the wagon. It seems fine for general movie watching and stuff though.

I recommend the Yamaha receivers if you want surround sound. Granted, it's the only one I've owned outside of an Onkyo from 2003, but comparing it with my brothers Pioneer (which he bought for more money because it had like... an extra 5 watts of power or something) the Yamaha has way more features and it's a much easier system to set up and use. I've never had a problem with it, but his Pioneer seems to need fiddling a lot.

I haven't looked into QLED or it's differences with regular LED, but OLED will have the absolute best contrast since every pixel can be turned off individually for perfect blacks with no back light bleed. They do get some burn in, so static images should be shuffled up a bit, but it's not as bad as the old Plasma TVs. Most modern smart phones use OLED screens.

I will try and look into it in more depth before comitting to any purchase aswell as comparing to the new apartment and living room, because obviously the room itself will be a deciding factor in the end.

Ty for the tips and information.