scared to wear out mouse feet with hard mouse pad, how long till unusable for you?

kofman13

hey all, proud owner of a logitech g pro wireless. but also a recent convert to a hard mousepad, a great Allsop hard mouse pad. its smoother than corsair and logitech offerings but not as smooth as the Helios im gonna get soon. in only a few days of use i can already see the mousefeet on my GPW are a little less shiny than on day one. i guess i am just being paranoid. but people out there who play on hard mousepads, how fast do mouse feet wear out for you to the point of the mouse being UNUSABLE?

btw i contacted logitech and they said they would replace mouse feet if they wore out

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

dont worry mouse feet are replaceable and its pretty cheap

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Not only that, but it'll still take literally years to wear them out as well!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Not only that, but it'll still take literally years to wear them out as well!

thats reassuring! multiple  people on mousereview subreddit said if i use a hard pad i would need to change my mouse feet once a month lol so i got worried

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

1 minute ago, kofman13 said:

thats reassuring! multiple  people on mousereview subreddit said if i use a hard pad i would need to change my mouse feet once a month lol so i got worried

Hah! Are they using sandpaper as mousepads?!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Well on another note; I have a glass mousepad (made rough and black background  for the tracking) and it surely does wear out the feet like no other.

I bought a desk sized (soft) mousepad because of it.
I know because i had to recently RMA my Logitech G903 (after about 6 months), and now with this new one the feet are so very much more 'slidy' then my old one. While i remember it being the same in the beginning. The difference was huge, and when gaming that little resistance does matter.
So for now i have benched the glass (hard) mousepad.

So yeah the feet are hard and slide long, but if you have a mousepad thats harder they will suffer.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

If you play FPS or any other game that requires a lot of mouse movement, be ready to replace them every few months. My dad uses hard plastic mouse pad and Steelseries Sensei mouse playing CS GO at low sensitivity. He plays a couple of hours a day max (more on weekends), they last him 3 months.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

21 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

the only thing you should worry about is the mousepad. optical wont track well on glossy/white/transparent surface..

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Unless your mousepad is made of sandpaper you'll be alright.  You should also only have to change the mouse feet every couple of years (if even)

I used my Logitech G9 on a Steelseries 'hard' mouse pad for roughly 11 years without issue.

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

It depends on the mouse. My Logitech M525 (not a gaming mouse, I just like how it fits my hands and scrolls quietly) significantly wore down its feet on a hard plastic pad in only six months of normal usage. Replacement feet are not available for this mouse.

Then I discovered PTFE (aka Teflon) mouse tape. It gets applied over the mouse feet and eliminates wear on the feet since the tape does all the wearing. I moved up from mouse tape to a thicker and wider tape with the same characteristics as mouse tape except it was easier to apply due to the added width and lasted longer before needing replacement. It only takes a few minutes to easily replace the tape as it wears out. Amazon is the only place I've been able to find it. It seems expensive but one roll will last for years. The one roll I bought almost two years ago looks like I haven't even used it yet.

I also found CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray applied to the hard mouse pad every now and then both makes the pad slicker and helps to clean it. I just lierally spray some on, then use some folded tissue paper to spread it around and remove the excess. I also clean the tape on the feet with it.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

You don't?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

That something doesnt happen to you, doesnt mean it doesnt happen at all.
Thats only for ostriches. ? 

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It depends on the mouse. My Logitech M525 (not a gaming mouse, I just like how it fits my hands and scrolls quietly) significantly wore down its feet on a hard plastic pad in obnly six months of normal usage. Replacement feet are not available for this mouse.

Then I discovered PTFE (aka Teflon) mouse tape. It gets applied over the mouse feet and eliminates wear on the feet since the tape does all the wearing. I moved up from mouse tape to a thicker and wider tape with the same characteristics as mouse tape except it was easier to apply due to the added width and lasted longer before needing replacement. It only takes a few minutes to easily replace the tape as it wears out. Amazon is the only place I've been able to find it. It seems expensive but one roll will last for years. The one roll I bought almost two years ago looks like I haven't even used it yet.

well.op.has the g pro.wireless so...

and yes u can buy one.of.those thing that u can manually cut..

dangit i hate this keyboatd

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

It took me 12 years to wear out the feet on a Logitech MX518. They didn't actually wear out either, the glue just stopped holding the feet in place. I bought some replacement feet off of Amazon for a few bucks and it has worked fine since. I've only used the mouse on hard mouse pads, in fact I believe I started with the Allsop hard pad before upgrading to X-Trac hard surface pads.

I've used G440 with G403 for almost 2y and I do play fps among other games. Nothing was worn out. Currently I use Hyperx Surge and Steelseries QcK Hard and I really like it. 

Obviously nothing lasts forever, as said mouse feet are cheap and replaceable as well if you'd need. Pad can be replaced over years if it would wear out from textures feel to literally flat smooth plastic. So I guess it can depend on usage and all. As I said I didn't notice any wear and tear on hard pad or mouse feet that I've used for almost 2y before I changed to different mouse I wanted. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |