How to convince parents to let me buy myself a computer

Hbomb18181

Hi, I'm less than 16 years old and I spent a lot of time gathering enough money for parts for a gaming computer. I asked my mom if she would allow me to buy it and she said no. I know the whole value of money speech by heart at this point and I have so many reasons for why I should be allowed to buy one.

1. It's my money and that's what I want to spend it on

2. It will make me happy

3. I'm a very stressed out person because of school and this will help a lot.

4. The only game I can play with my friends is fortnite because they all have PCs and I have a Fuckin Xbox One

5. I've researched this extensively and know what I'm doing

6. My grades are pretty good and school is fine

Pls. Help me make a speech to convince her.

27 minutes ago, Hbomb18181 said:

-snip-

Do you know why your parents disapprove of you buying a PC?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Try to look at it from their perspective. They probably have the budget to buy something, but that doesn't mean they should. They're probably trying to teach you a lesson about smart money usage. You'll thank them later.

If there's one thing I've learned throughout my life, it that 80% of the time your mom is right.

Edited by ImAlsoRan
Slight mistake

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

I'd suggest going to a cousin or relative that will assist you with the task of spending your own money for stuff you want

Edit: Also when you're mom gets whiney about it remember these words, "Whatever, whatever, I do what I want!"

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

24 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

90% of the time your mom is right.

80%

23 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

I'd suggest going to a cousin or relative that will assist you with the task of spending your own money for stuff you want

Edit: Also when you're mom gets whiney about it remember these words, "Whatever, whatever, I do what I want!"

going behind your parents back almost always makes things worse. I speak from lots of experience, even from today and yesterday.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

8 minutes ago, Hbomb18181 said:

4. The only game I can play with my friends is fortnite because they all have PCs and I have a Fuckin Xbox One

5. I've researched this extensively and know what I'm doing

these point are too weak in any circumstances

4- you want a pc for gaming only, next yr your fds will game of switch etc

5- explained nothing

6- more game = worse academic result

remember a child is always a child to parents , no matter what age.

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

these point are too weak in any circumstances

4- you want a pc for gaming only, next yr your fds will game of switch etc

5- explained nothing

6- more game = worse academic result

remember a child is always a child to parents , no matter what age.

true. you have to keep your grades stable when you game more.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

I don't get it, you already have xbox, but they won't allow you to buy PC? What is their reasoning behind it?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

I don't get it, you already have xbox, but they won't allow you to buy PC? What is their reasoning behind it?

ooo that actually could be it, because he already has something to play games.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just go and buy it.

Then once they discover what you did, be ready to get in a shouting match with them and for them to be mad at you for awhile. And that's a worst case scenario. Even if they're crazy enough to try and get you to return it, just say no. It's your money, screw them. 

Once they cool down and see that it's no big deal, they'll chill out, sure thing.

You're almost 16. It's perfectly normal for you to rebel against your parents at that age. In fact, if you don't, you're likely going to grow up psychologically stunted. So get that PC, kid. Follow your dreams. Godspeed!

EDIT: Also, don't listen to people in this thread telling you that having a PC may ruin your grades. You already own an Xbox. Unless you're really into MOBAs, RTS, and Grand Strategy, it's not like the games you will play on PC are going to be drastically more addicting than the ones you already play on XB1. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I would suggest listening to your parents.

While you live in their house, they ultimately control what you do/don't bring into the house and what you can/can't buy.

You could try to talk it over with them, but ultimately, they will have the last word.

49 minutes ago, Hbomb18181 said:

3. I'm a very stressed out person because of school and this will help a lot.

Gotta be honest, this seems to go against this:

50 minutes ago, Hbomb18181 said:

Here's a bit of terrible advice:

1 minute ago, Giganthrax said:

Just go and buy it.

Then once they discover what you did, be ready to get in a shouting match with them and for them to be mad at you for awhile. And that's a worst case scenario. Even if they're crazy enough to try and get you to return it, just say no. It's your money, screw them. 

Once they cool down and see that it's no big deal, they'll chill out, sure thing.

You're almost 16. It's perfectly normal for you to rebel against your parents at that age. In fact, if you don't, you're likely going to grow up psychologically stunted. So get that PC, kid. Follow your dreams. Godspeed!

You technically own nothing whilst under the age of 18. Once you turn 18, that becomes your property, legally.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

You technically own nothing whilst under the age of 18. Once you turn 18, that becomes your property, legally.

If his parents are insane enough to actually use such laws against him just to prevent him from playing LoL, he has bigger problems in life than the lack of a computer anyway. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

Just now, Giganthrax said:

If his parents are insane enough to actually use such laws against him just to prevent him from playing LoL, he has bigger problems in life than the lack of a computer anyway. 

My point was it's not legally "his money" or "his PC".

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

9 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Just go and buy it.

One of the worst move

this relation will only go worse, and when you find out and want to regret / apologize, everything is too late

12 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Even if they're crazy enough to try and get you to return it, just say no.

Also I would add that if the OP goes to school, then the parents could dispose of a PC during the day when he's not home.

I've heard stories of basically exactly that happening before, it's not unheard of.

That would be a worst-case scenario.

Also, this:

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Respect your parents.

Respect your parents, it's likely they will respect you if you first respect them.

15 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Just go and buy it.

EDIT: Also, don't listen to people in this thread telling you that having a PC may ruin your grades. You already own an Xbox. Unless you're really into MOBAs, RTS, and Grand Strategy, it's not like the games you will play on PC are going to be drastically more addicting than the ones you already play on XB1. 

You sound like a spoiled kid who's not old enough to realize how much the lack of discipline is your life will fuck you up later. I'm guessing you're somewhere between 15 and 20 years old?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

One of the worst move

this relation will only go worse, and when you find out and want to regret / apologize, everything is too late

Going along with your parents illogical fears and demands is an excellent way to grow into a wimp who can't stand for himself. 

https://www.vox.com/2014/6/16/5807664/children-use-more-drugs-when-their-parents-are-strict

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Also I would add that if the OP goes to school, then the parents could dispose of a PC during the day when he's not home.

I've heard stories of basically exactly that happening before, it's not unheard of.

That would be a worst-case scenario.

Also, this:

Respect your parents, it's likely they will respect you if you first respect them.

Again, if his parents would throw away a brand new computer just to spite him, that's some pretty serious crazy stuff right there, in which case he has way more serious problems than the lack of a gaming PC.

More likely, they'd be pissed off, and then they'd see a gaming PC has no more of an impact on him than an Xbox does, and they'd chill out. Parents and teenagers fight all the time, it's normal. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

Going along with your parents illogical fears and demands is an excellent way to grow into a wimp who can't stand for himself.

I went along with my parents as a teenager, and I can comfortably say that I am not a wimp and can stand for myself.

Again, if his parents would throw away a brand new computer just to spite him, that's some pretty serious crazy stuff right there, in which case he has way more serious problems than the lack of a gaming PC.

It wouldn't be out of spite as much as it would be because he didn't obey them...

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

You sound like a spoiled kid who's not old enough to realize how much the lack of discipline is your life will fuck you up later. I'm guessing you're somewhere between 15 and 20 years old?

I'm 33. If you think a 16 year old is supposed to go along unquestioningly with everything their parents tell them, even when their commands are totally illogical like in this case, then I really don't know what to say to you. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It wouldn't be out of spite as much as it would be because he didn't obey them...

How is that not out of spite? It's literal craziness. They should be proud that their son is growing up and is ready to take risks and fight for what he wants. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

plan a sleeper pc, gut the xbox and build the sleeper pc in its shell

whatmamadontknow-t-shirt-sand-swatch-750x750.jpg

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

53 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

if op is american then console = good - pc = bad but for some odd reason mac = BEST

don't ask me why, I'm clueless but that's how it usually is.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

How is that not out of spite? It's literal craziness. They should be proud that their son is growing up and is ready to take risks and fight for what he wants. 

If my kid disobeyed me and bought something I told them not to, you better believe I'm not gonna let them use it.

It's not out of spite, it's because he shouldn't have it since I told him not to.