Fx 8350 bottlenecks the rx 2060

Just replaced my r9 380 with a new rtx 2060, on my fx 8350 build. I see alot of people still saying the fx 8350 is still pretty good, but even useing the 2060 im having bottleneck issues on division 2, with my cpu at 100%, gpu at 60% and not getting more than 55 frames. i Dug through all the settings and im at high, 1080p, no vsync. 

The fx8350 definately underperforms in modern gaming.

6 minutes ago, trolouce said:

Just replaced my r9 380 with a new rtx 2060, on my fx 8350 build. I see alot of people still saying the fx 8350 is still pretty good, but even useing the 2060 im having bottleneck issues on division 2, with my cpu at 100%, gpu at 60% and not getting more than 55 frames. i Dug through all the settings and im at high, 1080p, no vsync. 

The fx8350 definately underperforms in modern gaming.

you need to overclock the cpu to 4.8ghz to wake it up, you also need to pair it with some fast low latency ram to get those extra frames and overclock the NB. Its a capable chip in the right hands, always was, but ignorance is bliss.

It is a 7 year old CPU, it's not going to keep up with modern hardware even if it was pretty good back in the day.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5 8600k @ 5Ghz (-1 AVX) 1.325v - MSI Z370 Gaming M5 mobo - MSI GTX1070 Gaming 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2600MHz 4x8GB - CM ML240L RGB 240mm AIO - 240GB NVME, 480GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD - Corsair RM750x PSU - Silverstone PM02

Media Server: Intel G4400 - MSI Z270 Gaming Plus - 4GB RAM - 600GB WD Raptor - 10TB RAID5 - CM HAF932

Surface Pro 4: Intel i7 6650U - 8GB RAM - 256GB SSD

Dell Latitude E6530: Intel i7 3520M - 8GB DDR3 - Nvidia NVS 5200M 1GB - 300GB HDD

NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4TB 

Absolutely. There are a few things you can do, however. Ensure that you're running your memory in dual channel mode. Refer to your motherboard manual for the proper ram configurations. In game, turn off anything to do with filtering. Anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc. and anything with shaders/shadows. Lastly, if you're willing you can try to overclock your CPU to get the most of it. I once had an 8320 OC'd to 4.8ghz which was a very noticeable improvement in games.

Or you can upgrade to Ryzen and that should fix 'er right up.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Yes you need a cpu upgrade! I recomend a ryzen 5 2600x at minimum, ryzen 7 2700x would suit.

Intel is best just gaming, ryzen is normally cheaper but not as good for gaming

11 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

you need to overclock the cpu to 4.8ghz to wake it up, you also need to pair it with some fast low latency ram to get those extra frames and overclock the NB. Its a capable chip in the right hands, always was, but ignorance is bliss.

"Yeah if you just jam a crapton of power through it to boost the clock speeds and buy expensive ram you're set"

The investment just isn't worthwhile. The CPUs have half the FPUs they should and they're just space heaters, Ryzen is where it's at these days

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, trolouce said:

who's saying the fx 8350 is still good? /2 is a scaling game that is heavily cpu bound, i actually see my 9900k at 95% load sometimes, it will eat up all the threads you have.

Whats the 1% low you are getting?

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

"Yeah if you just jam a crapton of power through it to boost the clock speeds and buy expensive ram you're set"

The investment just isn't worthwhile. The CPUs have half the FPUs they should and they're just space heaters, Ryzen is where it's at these days

Ah yes throwing £60 for some 2nd hand ddr3 vs £100's for a full new setup... logic. Yes its pretty old now correct but people still hold on to 3xxx intel chips and think they're the best thing since sliced cheese. 4.8ghz for a 8350 isn't even a difficult achievement when I've yet to see one of them fail to hit 5ghz daily...

5 minutes ago, xg32 said:

/2

did you just call division 2 "/2"? man that confused the shit out of me for a few seconds

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, Benjeh said:

Ah yes throwing £60 for some 2nd hand ddr3 vs £100's for a full new setup... logic. Yes its pretty old now correct but people still hold on to 3xxx intel chips and think they're the best thing since sliced cheese. 4.8ghz for a 8350 isn't even a difficult achievement when I've yet to see one of them fail to hit 5ghz daily...

3rd gen Intel is significantly better than FX, and doesn't take expensive ram and a hefty overclock to be competent in modern gaming. I also doubt that a 4.8 OC would be enough anyways as that's only a 20% increase in performance or so.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I also doubt that a 4.8 OC would be enough anyways as that's only a 20% increase in performance or so.

it's 20% on paper but FX CPU's don't scale well with overclocks, if at all... they just produce more heat

If the OC method is gonna require any new hardware, it's a poor investment. If OCing what he's got will open up that bottleneck some, why not?

That said, you have yourself a nice GPU. It is bottlenecked by that CPU, but if you're averaging 55FPS on a brand new title, that's perfectly playable until such a time comes that you're ready to upgrade the rest of your system to catch up to the GPU!

I have an fx 9590. Once again, the fx haters have entered the room and spoiled the party. Yes, it bottlenecks the 2060. But is it playable? You darn well bet it is. Give it a good overclock, and then maybe up the resolution scale to like 150%. You won't get higher fps in any situation, but you may as well take the strain off the cpu and more onto the gpu. If you can't get higher fps, may as well make the 2060 flex it's muscles by upping the resolution scale.

FX is starting to get on it's last legs, but I think it's got another year or two in it yet before it becomes unplayable.

FX is capable in it's own right but it requires too much tweaking and headache to get it to "acceptable" performance, you'd be lying to yourself if you believed the FX 8350 is an awesome chip because it's not, it's a nightmare and it always was.

I've had lots of time tweaking my A8-6600K, it was "ok" but I hated everything about it, there's just not enough performance for the heat it outputs, you'd think my hand burning from touching the case would mean "wow you must've got a beast in there" but sadly it was just a tiny chick.

-Thread cleaned-

Come on people, let's remain civil and on-topic here.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, syn2112 said:

FX is capable in it's own right but it requires too much tweaking and headache to get it to "acceptable" performance, you'd be lying to yourself if you believed the FX 8350 is an awesome chip because it's not, it's a nightmare and it always was.

I've had lots of time tweaking my A8-6600K, it was "ok" but I hated everything about it, there's just not enough performance for the heat it outputs, you'd think my hand burning from touching the case would mean "wow you must've got a beast in there" but sadly it was just a tiny chick.

It isn't, at all a nightmare, if you don't know what you're doing because you can't do the sensible thing and research it, which school literally teaches you to do while your age is in single figures, then yes you're going to struggle. Its an unlocked enthausit grade CPU, it's not for people who don't know how to overclock etc, it never was. I tell you what did make owning an FX chip a nightmare, intel bias. If it wasn't the youtubers skewing their benchmarks, it was the complete an utter disregard for motherboard support from all the vendors bar ASUS. If you're going to come in here an shit on AMD at least use some actual useful points like the poor single core performance which they just couldn't match stock intels, or the aforementioned lack of vendor support meaning VRM for them was lack lustre... its a 7yr old chip someone said? But telling our OP here not to bother overclocking or buy soon to be outdated tech isn't good advice.

3 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Again stop it with the overclock he has a MSI 970A Krait, that has a very poor quality 4+1 VRM power phase design, i've seen this boards or similar MSI ones literary catch fire when pushed a bit far.

And to be honest you also seem kind of biased, it ain't that easy getting the best out of this CPU's either, Overclock.net which had the most passionate AMD FX community had most of its users tweaking this CPU's for months, it does take effort, a lot of tweaking and custom modes for cooling various mobo parts, unless you are very and i do mean very lucky in getting a golden binned chip that overclocks high and its energy efficient. My road to 5 Ghz wasn't without effort either:

https://imgur.com/a/pIQ3m

I was part of that club I joined after the the first couple of years of it being out so it took me a few weeks to understand what I was doing as I was new to overclocking. If I knew what I was doing like I do now, it wouldn't of been difficult at all. Mine was easy, Sabertooth board and some waterblocks on the VRM and NB and it was plain sailing from there. It was more fun overclocking the 8350 then my intel chips, I'm not biased at all, I recommend a huge manor of things depending on what people want to achieve. Ah the 970 Krait, that's not a 8350 board, its a 6300 board. I'm defeated in this instance then ??

18 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

It isn't, at all a nightmare, if you don't know what you're doing because you can't do the sensible thing and research it, which school literally teaches you to do while your age is in single figures, then yes you're going to struggle. Its an unlocked enthausit grade CPU, it's not for people who don't know how to overclock etc, it never was. I tell you what did make owning an FX chip a nightmare, intel bias. If it wasn't the youtubers skewing their benchmarks, it was the complete an utter disregard for motherboard support from all the vendors bar ASUS. If you're going to come in here an shit on AMD at least use some actual useful points like the poor single core performance which they just couldn't match stock intels, or the aforementioned lack of vendor support meaning VRM for them was lack lustre... its a 7yr old chip someone said? But telling our OP here not to bother overclocking or buy soon to be outdated tech isn't good advice.

Obviously one of it's biggest downfalls is its single core performance, there's no need to mention that specifically i just mentioned overall performance.

Trust me I researched enough, but i was mostly trying to find something that was rewarding for the amount of heat it outputted but no matter how much i tweaked nothing helped "that much".. NB overclocking had the most noticeable difference in the responsiveness of the system, but that was it, and eventually after many years i just gave up and ran it at stock and I was honestly happier not having to deal with all that heat.

And again, considering what Intel offered back in the day, the 8350's performance was abysmal, there's really not a single advantage, and I can get the A8-6600K to match the i3 but at what cost? all that heat and misery? i've always wished I just bought an i3 instead.

(also just to clarify i've always overclocked my systems to the max, i've had an E5400 before and overclocked that shit to 4Ghz+ that was a blast)

1 hour ago, syn2112 said:

did you just call division 2 "/2"? man that confused the shit out of me for a few seconds

Haha, that got me too

45 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

I'm sorry but it seems the american education system has failed here. I should of just PM'd the OP a link to the FX owners club where he would have received useful advice on what his system is capable of while waiting for the new Ryzen to launch, as people are saying buy Ryzen's current stuff atm which isn't wise given what I just said. the 8350 wakes up at around 4.8ghz, you will see a considerable performance boost, DDR3 second hand is cheaper than DDR4 alone rather than buying a mobo, soon to be last gen ryzen cpu and RAM.... On paper or not...

40 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Alright chill out, dudes. I do tend to agree that if the OC method is gonna require any new hardware, it's a poor investment. If OCing what he's got will open up that bottleneck some, why not?

That said, you have yourself a nice GPU. It is bottlenecked by that CPU, but if you're averaging 55FPS on a brand new title, that's perfectly playable until such a time comes that you're ready to upgrade the rest of your system to catch up to the GPU!

24 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

If your profile specs reflect your actual build DO NOT OVERCLOCK ON THAT MOBO NO MATER WHAT! Its a fire hazard and i'm not joking in the least, its a crappy 4+1 vrm design... The MSI Krait is one of the most deceitful motherboards ever created... In fact except of a few top of the line MSI motherboards (which can be counted on one hand), most MSI boards for the FX platform where down right fire hazards...   You would need to at least upgrade the motherboard to one of the top of the lines from the FX generation to get good performance out of that FX and even then its not guaranteed, what if the CPU is not a good overclocker ? Even if it is a good overclocker unfortunately the truth is that its IPC is still quite low, it is true that from 4.75Ghz and above with highspeed memory  it can be down right a beast able to keep up with a haswell i7 or better, but the problem is that not many games can properly utilize it, back when i had one, Battlefield 1 was one of the very few games that was able to utilize this CPU to its whole capabilities, other games that ran okay where the Witcher 3, ME: Andromeda, and i dunno if their where even 3 more games other then those that could utilize most of it, but most games however wont do  utilize it properly and due to the low IPC per core you wont get great performance even with it overclocked. So unfortunately your only proper option is to upgrade from it if you want to not bottleneck that RTX 2060.

Thanks, and yes its a crappy mobo, it looked good but in use it sucks, i tried overclocking a bit, but even a 4.3 crashes in a cinebench, and ive got a 212 evo cooler keeping it under 50 deg. So overclocking isnt an option lol. 

But yeah its time for a new cpu when amd's lowest model from last year the 2200g has better performance lol.

Waiting out for the new ryzen series to build a new rig.

7 minutes ago, trolouce said:

Thanks, and yes its a crappy mobo, it looked good but in use it sucks, i tried overclocking a bit, but even a 4.3 crashes in a cinebench, and ive got a 212 evo cooler keeping it under 50 deg. So overclocking isnt an option lol. 

But yeah its time for a new cpu when amd's lowest model from last year the 2200g has better performance lol.

Waiting out for the new ryzen series to build a new rig.

Haha given the advice against the MOBO, I'll withdraw my "Why not try it!" Statement. Nobody needs to set their rig on fire from my bad advice ?

As for subjective topics: Ryzen 3 is an exciting prospect! You'd do well to wait on it. If you're low budget on the build, you might do well to just watch the 2600 or 2700 prices as the release draws near, and snatch one up for cheap! The 2060 is a whole lot of card (especially with raytracing), but honestly, even a 2200g would clear up a significant amount of bottleneck here. Maybe not all of it with the RTX, but I'm no expert.