CPU Usage always above 75%

seoulsoul

I have a i5 760 overclocked to 4ghz running since couple years ago.

Recently while im using the computer browsing/gaming the usage spikes up to above 75% for no reason and game slows down browser slows down. If I restart the computer again it is back to normal. What can be wrong is the cpu getting too old? Should I lower the overclock or up the voltage a little? It has been running fine for 3+ years with current settings..

Look at task manger and see if anything is running in the background!

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Open task manager. Go to the processes tab and see what is using the most of your CPU's power. Figure out what program it is and end the task.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I'd say bottleneck... but it'd be hard to bottleneck that?

Diamond 5 in League :)

Look at task manger and see if anything is running in the background!

Open task manager. Go to the processes tab and see what is using the most of your CPU's power. Figure out what program it is and end the task.

Good advice. Also back your CPU down to stock speeds.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

nothing cpu intensive is running in the taskmanager only couple browser is using "01" and cpu usage stays above 75% and when i make new browsers i can feel my computer is choking. Only way I found to fix is to reboot my computer and im wondering if it is a hardware problem or software related.

Can you post a picture of the processes tab of task manager when this is happening?

nothing cpu intensive is running in the taskmanager only couple browser is using "01" and cpu usage stays above 75% and when i make new browsers i can feel my computer is choking. Only way I found to fix is to reboot my computer and im wondering if it is a hardware problem or software related.

What is telling you usage is at 75%?

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

I just lowered my overclock and voltage a little going to try to run prime95 i guess.

I should've taken a screenshot of the taskmanager before rebooting... But, basically with the CPU tab selected there was ONLY chrome brower using cpu it said "chrome.exe*32 /  user name / 01"

I just lowered my overclock and voltage a little going to try to run prime95 i guess.

I should've taken a screenshot of the taskmanager before rebooting... But, basically with the CPU tab selected there was ONLY chrome brower using cpu it said "chrome.exe*32 /  user name / 01"

not the 'applications' tab

look at the 'processes' tab

also make sure you check 'show processes from all users' which will also show you system processes (used by your OS)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Check Resource monitor, see how many cores (if any) are parked.  I would also run a virus scan with Malwarebytes because malware can hide from task manager. 

If you turn your computer off when not using it it may simply be a number of maintenance tasks running. Things like virus & malware scans, update downloads, hdd defragmentation, file indexing, etc. The solution is to leave the machine on overnight. Should be finished everything by the morning.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

you say you have been running you computer the same for 3 years maybe it is time to re-install windows but my guess is that its just Malware or a virus 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

While you check taskmanager, don't use CPU usage as sorting method, use memory usage instead. In my experience its easier to read that way.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv