Looking for a QUIET Workstation for $2050

Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,

Here's what I came up with:

So let me break this down for you. From a being quiet perspective:

- The H150i is one of the most quiet coolers on the market at 33.1db(A). That is using it's "quiet" profile, which it's optimized to use and still cools as well as top air coolers using that profile. It uses magnetic levetation fans for maximum silence. It also supports the fans turning off when the CPU is idle, making it completely silent at idle. You're going to want to front mount this to the R6 tower I have in the build, removing the noisier fans from the front.

- The extra fan I have is for the rear of the case. Again, it's an ML fan, so it's very quiet. Replace the default rear fan with this.

- The power supply is 1200w, WAY more than you need. The reason for that is because this particular power supply has a fan that does not spin up until 40% load is reached, which is a load you will never hit on these parts, meaning the fan will never spin up and it'll be completely silent in operation.

- The video card is a triple fan design, for better cooling while remaining quieter than dual and single fan designs. This will still be the loudest part in the whole system at load, but should be bearable.

Performance-wise:

- The 9900K has leading performance in Premiere Pro CC. It's not THE top CPU for it, but it's close.

- The GTX 1660 Ti is a excellent pairing for Premiere Pro. You COULD go higher than this, but it starts to have a diminishing return.

- 32GB of RAM, which is the recommended amount from Adobe for 4K video editing.

-1TB NVME 3D TLC 600TBW endurance M.2 SSD. Basically this thing is fast and durable. I paired it with a 3TB enterprise HDD, which again is reliable and is great for storing large videos.

That's about it. Let me know if you have any questions!

13 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

New consumer ssd:s will last about 0,2 drive writes per day. So if you dump something like 400GB of video onto that ssd, it might die in 2,5 years. Corsair mp510 960GB has 1700tbw and mx500 360tbw.

Who cares if the psu fan spins at 600-800rpm? You would need a special built room to measure a difference in dB output between systems running a passive psu or one with 600rpm.

I care very much. That's why I said that keeping noise to a bare minimum is as important to me as performance. I'm very sensitive to noise. Ideally, I want to be able to put my ear up to the computer and not even be able to tell it's on.

Just now, FinalFantasyBros said:

I care very much. That's why I said that keeping noise to a bare minimum is as important to me as performance. I'm very sensitive to noise. Ideally, I want to be able to put my ear up to the computer and not even be able to tell it's on.

Well you are still better of spending on other parts. Most hard drives make more noise than 600rpm fan.

2 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

that is a tad hard to do. there will allways be some sort of hum. 

a bequiet silent base case is a clever choice to keep noise down. 

3 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Well you are still better of spending on other parts. Most hard drives make more noise than 600rpm fan.

I have a special foam-padded bay I put my HDDs into that effectively eliminates the noise. The HDD gets hotter than usual, but no deaths so far over the 5 years I've used it.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($525.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($243.05 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($147.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($114.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card  ($359.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.97 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1901.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-13 04:34 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I like this one too, thanks! The only thing is I would definitely need more than 1TB of total storage. I'd also probably use a 1200w PSU as suggested above this way the fan never kicks on. I'd like it to be efficient and cool as well. But I think at that point I won't have the budget for the 2060. But in looking at the above charts it looks like the difference will only be 1-2 seconds per whatever that load was in the test.

4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($525.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($243.05 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($147.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 5 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($114.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card  ($359.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.97 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1901.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-13 04:34 EDT-0400

This looks like jerubedo and stormseekr9's build smashed together. I like it, though! My only concern is the PSU noise and is that HP drive NVME? I'd like NVME after looking it up, Seems way faster.

Also are any of these parts prone to coil whine? I'm VERY sensitive to that as well.

This looks like jerubedo and stormseekr9's build smashed together. I like it, though! My only concern is the PSU noise and is that HP drive NVME? I'd like NVME after looking it up, Seems way faster.

Yeah the EX920 is one of the faster nvme ssds. The PSU fan doesn't run till 275w or so, an rtx 2060 rig eats only just above that under load.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm550x-power-supply,4484-5.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Also are any of these parts prone to coil whine? I'm VERY sensitive to that as well.

Well, in the case of the PSU, the lower the load the less chance of coil whine, so again the higher capacity one should have almost no coil whine if any.

As for GPU, under load, it's luck of the draw really, unless a specific model has been flagged as exhibiting coil whine specifically. Check reviews for that. But otherwise it's really luck of the draw.

12 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

. I'd also probably use a 1200w PSU as suggested above this way the fan never kicks on

You really dont need a mote powerfull PSU. And if you are that concerned with noise. A fanless piece is better.

You wont be hearing the PSU fan. You will hear the light hum of the AIO pump and other components. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

You really dont need a mote powerfull PSU. And if you are that concerned with noise. A fanless piece is better.

You wont be hearing the PSU fan. You will hear the light hum of the AIO pump and other components. 

The only way to run a PSU completely noiseless while remaining efficient AND cool is to use the overpowered method, getting a way overpowered PSU where the fan doesn't trigger under your max load. Using the fanless one compromises on efficiency and temperature, unless you get a fanless one that keeps max load to below 50% of the unit's total output, but I don't know of any fanless 850w models, unless you do? 

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

The only way to run a PSU completely noiseless while remaining efficient AND cool is to use the overpowered method, getting a way overpowered PSU where the fan doesn't trigger under your max load. Using the fanless one compromises on efficiency and temperature, unless you get a fanless one that keeps max load to below 50% of the unit's total output, but I don't know of any fanless 850w models, unless you do? 

The pump hum will be louder than any of the PSUs mentioned........ The 1200 watt PSU is pointless

Dont oversell someone a PSU when they reaaally doesnt need it.

21 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I like this one too, thanks! The only thing is I would definitely need more than 1TB of total storage. I'd also probably use a 1200w PSU as suggested above this way the fan never kicks on. I'd like it to be efficient and cool as well. But I think at that point I won't have the budget for the 2060. But in looking at the above charts it looks like the difference will only be 1-2 seconds per whatever that load was in the test.

A 1200w PSU will not run efficient in a setup

like this. Go for a CORSAIR RMx or similar (tier 1/2) around 650w. It will be plenty and run more efficient than a 1200w supply only using 30-40% of power. 

Have one myself never heard it spinning so far. 

You can add a 860 evo or similar to that build and still be within budget :)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

The pump hum will be louder than any of the PSUs mentioned........ The 1200 watt PSU is pointless

Dont oversell someone a PSU when they reaaally doesnt need it.

I'm just going off the original request. The pump noise is out of my control. That AIO is the most quiet, and I can't change the fact that pump noise exists. The PSU fan kicking on is within my control. The case fan types are within my control. Using a 3 fan GPU instead of 2 is within my control. All of those things reduce noise, which he stated was a number 1 priority.

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

i mean, it's group regulated crap, but it does excist...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2PDJ7P/seasonic-m12ii-evo-850w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-fanless-atx-power-supply-ssr-850gm2

but that aside, you don't even need 850 watts here, a 600 watt unit will do on a single gpu system, and seasonic and silverstone do have some great fanless ones there

tho i would rather recommend a good fan-cooled unit, it's not that much more noice

25 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I'd also probably use a 1200w PSU as suggested above this way the fan never kicks on.

yeah, right...

What's wrong with a good quality FDB Fan rotating at low speeds??
For example be quiet Straight Power 11...

25 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I'd like it to be efficient and cool as well.

Wattage has nothing to do with that...

And 1200W PSU are rediculously expensive for nothing. You can save up to 100€ or even more...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

but that aside, you don't even need 850 watts here, a 600 watt unit will do on a single gpu system, and seasonic and silverstone do have some great fanless ones there

I'd be perfectly fine endorsing a 600w PSU for this build IF IT HAD A FAN. The 600w unit without a fan will be 80% taxed with this system and therefore produce a lot of heat at that load. The OP has stated that he's sensitive to even PSU fan noise, so to eliminate it my solution was to overpower it, which keeps it cool and noiseless.

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

so what, as long as the fanless unit is more quiet it's better. The so called "worse efficiency" is just 2-3%.

Also your PSU choice isn't even the most quiet one in its class

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1200-psu,5102-10.html

and it's efficiency at 33% (400w load) is about 92% with 115v dc as input, that's why you shouldn't overkill the PSU wattage for efficiency. the RM650x for example is 80+ Gold rated and hits 90% at also 400w load 115v dc. The fanless Seasonic Prime Titanium 600w hits around 92.5%...

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

The only way to run a PSU completely noiseless while remaining efficient AND cool is to use the overpowered method, getting a way overpowered PSU where the fan doesn't trigger under your max load.

That is not how it works.

Especially inside the same series...

The lower wattages are usually the quietest - for example bitfenix Whisper M, 450 and 550W are rotating the fan at around 500rpm or so at lower loads, with 650W and up its ~700rpm or so...

9 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Using the fanless one compromises on efficiency and temperature, unless you get a fanless one that keeps max load to below 50% of the unit's total output, but I don't know of any fanless 850w models, unless you do? 

Fanless is irrelevant...

Or as someone from some company once said:
WE DO NOT NEED GOOD QUALITY FANS; WE HAVE SEMI FANLESS!!!

Yeah, that's how it is. You don't need Semi-Fanless, if you have a decent quality fan with low/no motor and bearing noise.

And if you have to use a very high RPM fan as well.

So for a 1200W PSU with a 3000rpm fan, Semi Fanless might make sense.

But how the heck can you call this quiet:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/superflower_leadex_ii/s08.php

THAT is quiet:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/be_quiet_straight_power_11/s09.php

And that:

https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_formula_gold_450/s09.php

So the 450W at 100% load is quieter than the 1000W one at 450W...

So no, the "overpowered for quietness" is just a fairy tale that rarely ever happens.

It only can happen, if you talk about two completely different products, than it might be possible. But even then: a good, quiet PSU is better than a random PSU!

Just now, Jurrunio said:

so what, as long as the fanless unit is more quiet it's better. The so called "worse efficiency" is just 2-3%.

It's more about the heat at 80% load and no fan to cool it.

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Also your PSU choice isn't even the most quiet one in its class

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1200-psu,5102-10.html

The whole point is that it doesn't matter. The system I built draws no more than 430w OVERCLOCKED, so the fan would never kick on, period. no fan = 100% silent. 

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

and it's efficiency at 33% (400w load) is about 92%

And what exactly is wrong with 92% efficiency?? 

6 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

I'd be perfectly fine endorsing a 600w PSU for this build IF IT HAD A FAN. The 600w unit without a fan will be 80% taxed with this system and therefore produce a lot of heat at that load. The OP has stated that he's sensitive to even PSU fan noise, so to eliminate it my solution was to overpower it, which keeps it cool and noiseless.

If both have the same efficiency, they will produce the same amount of heat at the same load....

That's how Physics works.

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

If both have the same efficiency, they will produce the same amount of heat at the same load....

That's how Physics works.

Right, and the one with the fan gets cooler. The one without remains warm. 

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

yeah, right...

What's wrong with a good quality FDB Fan rotating at low speeds??
For example be quiet Straight Power 11...

I've asked for as quiet as possible. I can still hear a fan at 500 RPM. I want no noise if possible, and it sounds like using the 1200w PSU makes that possible. So that's my plan now. I've done some digging too and I found a video from JayzTwoCents where he used a 1200w PSU in a low powered system and he verified it never kicked on. The fanless options look interesting as well but it seems they will be hotter since they are under more load. So I'd rather just get the higher one...