Looking for a QUIET Workstation for $2050

Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,

Here's what I came up with:

So let me break this down for you. From a being quiet perspective:

- The H150i is one of the most quiet coolers on the market at 33.1db(A). That is using it's "quiet" profile, which it's optimized to use and still cools as well as top air coolers using that profile. It uses magnetic levetation fans for maximum silence. It also supports the fans turning off when the CPU is idle, making it completely silent at idle. You're going to want to front mount this to the R6 tower I have in the build, removing the noisier fans from the front.

- The extra fan I have is for the rear of the case. Again, it's an ML fan, so it's very quiet. Replace the default rear fan with this.

- The power supply is 1200w, WAY more than you need. The reason for that is because this particular power supply has a fan that does not spin up until 40% load is reached, which is a load you will never hit on these parts, meaning the fan will never spin up and it'll be completely silent in operation.

- The video card is a triple fan design, for better cooling while remaining quieter than dual and single fan designs. This will still be the loudest part in the whole system at load, but should be bearable.

Performance-wise:

- The 9900K has leading performance in Premiere Pro CC. It's not THE top CPU for it, but it's close.

- The GTX 1660 Ti is a excellent pairing for Premiere Pro. You COULD go higher than this, but it starts to have a diminishing return.

- 32GB of RAM, which is the recommended amount from Adobe for 4K video editing.

-1TB NVME 3D TLC 600TBW endurance M.2 SSD. Basically this thing is fast and durable. I paired it with a 3TB enterprise HDD, which again is reliable and is great for storing large videos.

That's about it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Just now, FinalFantasyBros said:

I did try and find a review on the 801 but the only one I found was Guru3D and they didn't do any noise tests

ow bummer... then i suggest you just go with the fractal

12 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

Of wow, I didn't know any high profile people were on these threads

Well half the experienced build guide community is here trying to help, but instead we have gotten caught trying to stop you from making the mistake of buying a 1200 watt PSU.

-from the authors of the pinned build guide thread in this part of the forum

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

wait, the ultra is cheaper than the elite? that's weird... the elite should be the cheapest out of the 4 

Opps, my bad! I meant to say the master not the elite. So what I meant to say was that the pro had issues with higher clocked RAM. Are there any benifits to stepping up to the MASTER which is more expensive(Not Ellite).

To your point, I probably won't run RAM that high but I never like to limit my options in case there's some big change in an application I use that makes use of higher RAM speed.

1 minute ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

Opps, my bad! I meant to say the master not the elite. So what I meant to say was that the pro had issues with higher clocked RAM. Are there any benifits to stepping up to the MASTER which is more expensive(Not Ellite).

To your point, I probably won't run RAM that high but I never like to limit my options in case there's some big change in an application I use that makes use of higher RAM speed.

the master has even better memory overclocking, and generally is a bit higher tier

but 4200 will probably never be needed on z390, so you're more than fine with a pro or elite imo (all of them are 12 phase, so they can handle a 9900k pretty well)

i personally have a z370 pro carbon ac, and it already can handle my 3200 ghz ram @3500 muz without any problems, so a elite or pro should be even better

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Well half the experienced build guide community is here trying to help, but instead we have gotten caught trying to stop you from making the mistake of buying a 1200 watt PSU.

I do appreciate that help greatly and I appreciate the sentiment. The only argument I've heard, though, is that it's just a waste of money. I haven't heard that there's anything bad about doing it. And this review show that the fan never kicks on and it's the quietest at <28db at my load:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-hx1200i-80-plus-platinum-power-supply-review/6/

Stefan showed me a few units, but they were all louder (on the same review site) except for one of them, but that one was hotter and less efficient while being just as quiet. To me that lended credibility to what jerubedo said because that was basically his whole point.

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

-from the authors of the pinned build guide thread in this part of the forum

and a couple psu reviewers...

I'm part of the build guide too btw

and the new psu tier list for that matter

Edited by LukeSavenije

20 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I saw a video where a reviewer couldn't get his known 4200MHz RAM working stable on the pro board but he got it working on the Ultra. The Elite is even more expensive, so if I did go that route in stepping up what should I cut? Also what are the benefits between the Ultra and the Elite?

I will mention that its not really worth having faster memmory than 3000/3200mhz. Certainly not faster than 3666mhz. 

In most workloads you dont gain anything past 3000mhz with a couple of exceptions. And those start to cap at 3666mhz aswell. 

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

the master has even better memory overclocking, and generally is a bit higher tier

but 4200 will probably never be needed on z390, so you're more than fine with a pro or elite imo (all of them are 12 phase, so they can handle a 9900k pretty well)

i personally have a z370 pro carbon ac, and it already can handle my 3200 ghz ram @3500 muz without any problems, so a elite or pro should be even better 

Ok, cool. I'll drop to the pro then!

That gives me this:

Any idea where I can blow an extra $27?

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

and a couple psu reviewers...

I'm part of the build guide too btw

and the new psu tier list for that matter

Well i wrote it as a message from us. Not from me.

I used authors as plural. No spelling misstake.

3 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I do appreciate that help greatly and I appreciate the sentiment. The only argument I've heard, though, is that it's just a waste of money. I haven't heard that there's anything bad about doing it. And this review show that the fan never kicks on and it's the quietest at <28db at my load:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-hx1200i-80-plus-platinum-power-supply-review/6/

Stefan showed me a few units, but they were all louder (on the same review site) except for one of them, but that one was hotter and less efficient while being just as quiet. To me that lended credibility to what jerubedo said because that was basically his whole point.

Im not too far into PSU. That is @Stefan Payne's field and id trust him to pick the best PSUs for your usecase. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I will mention that its not really worth having faster memmory than 3000/3200mhz. Certainly not faster than 3666mhz. 

In most workloads you dont gain anything past 3000mhz with a couple of exceptions. And those start to cap at 3666mhz aswell. 

Good to know. I've dropped down the board to the pro now!

4 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

maybe some extra fans... drop that ml and maybe get some nice noctuas?

and maybe a lower wattage psu, and invest the gained money in even more noctuas for better airflow so the temps stay lower?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

maybe some extra fans... drop that ml and maybe get some nice noctuas?

and maybe a lower wattage psu, and invest the gained money in even more noctuas for better airflow so the temps stay lower?

Well, I want to avoid MORE fans. Again being quiet is the absolute primary goal here. As for replacing the ML fan, I was under the impression the magnetic levitation fans were the quietest on the market right now, is that not correct?

Good to know. I've dropped down the board to the pro now!

Id personally pick the Silent base 801 over the Define R6, but that case is good aswell.

The reason behind the Silent Base 801 is its ammount of sound dampening foam on its non-tempered glass variant

Pick up some nice fans aswell. Either Noctua Fans or bequiet silent wings.

And also the suggestion by luke earlier to swap the SSD for a Crucial P1 1TB which is a really goo pickup

Well, I want to avoid MORE fans. Again being quiet is the absolute primary goal here. As for replacing the ML fan, I was under the impression the magnetic levitation fans were the quietest on the market right now, is that not correct?

I'm not too familiar with bearings, but from my experience noctua fans are about the best you can get, they just look subjectivity ugly to people. more fans will create more airflow, which makes each fan have to spin up less to keep a certain temperature, so why not have a couple more?

more fans will create more airflow, which makes each fan have to spin up less to keep a certain temperature, so why not have a couple more?

Idlespinning fans are indeed a lot better than ones that work a lot. 

The main concern is the radiator, which is going to be the one compinent that will be spinning the fastest

6 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

magnetic levitation fans were the quietest on the market right now, is that not correct?

They are the best bearing yes, but bearing type doesnt equal sound level. In the end it comes down to fandesign. 

Hence Noctua being the go to fans as they are among the best fans avavible next to premium ones from bequiet. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Idlespinning fans are indeed a lot better than ones that work a lot. 

The main concern is the radiator, which is going to be the one compinent that will be spinning the fastest

yeah... probably. tho they do come with some good ml fans. 

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

And also the suggestion by luke earlier to swap the SSD for a Crucial P1 1TB which is a really goo pickup

I've been told to avoid QLC drives at all cost, though. Is that not correct? I've heard the endurance of 3D TLC is on par with 2D MLC now adays, and that the QLC endurance rating is crap.

I've been told to avoid QLC drives at all cost, though. Is that not correct? I've heard the endurance of 3D TLC is on par with 2D MLC now adays, and that the QLC endurance rating is crap.

Endurance on the drives are stupidly long, providing you dont fill em up to 95%-100% which you shouldnt do with SSDs regardless. 

While its worse, its not soemthing you will run into in a veeeery long time. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Endurance on the drives are stupidly long, providing you dont fill em up to 95%-100% which you shouldnt do with SSDs regardless. 

While its worse, its not soemthing you will run into in a veeeery long time. 

I will be dealing with very large video files though. Most files range from 100GB - 300GB. Does that make a difference?

3 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I will be dealing with very large video files though. Most files range from 100GB - 300GB. Does that make a difference?

How often will you be moving them on and off. Because even with dailt writes its gonna last a very long time. 

btw, it seems like the nhd15 from noctua and the dark rock pro 4 from be quiet are actually quieter than the h150i pro according to anandtech for the h150i and tweaktown for the nhd15

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

How often will you be moving them on and off. Because even with dailt writes its gonna last a very long time. 

More than likely it'll be one to two of those big files per day.

btw, it seems like the nhd15 from noctua and the dark rock pro 4 from be quiet are actually quieter than the h150i pro according to anandtech for the h150i and tweaktown for the nhd15

Was that with the quiet profile or the performance for the h150i? jerubedo had originally suggested to leave it on quiet because it keeps the fans at aminimum regardless of load and still keeps it cool.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I just did some calculations. The endurance rating for the QLC drive is 200TBW, which means if I do 2x 300GB files a day, it'll last 333 days. The 970 Evo had endurance of 600TBW, which would be closer to 3 years of 2x 300GB files a day.