amazon to support local payment

LukeSavenije
1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Who the frack uses cash money these days except people evading taxes.

Exactly those people.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

36 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Yeah I understand as a backup, but I mean as actual everyday currency.

I put everything on my CC even if it's $1.

Haha, I use my debit card (either physical or through Google Pay) for pretty much everything . I was with my parents the other day and I swiped my debit card for like a $0.70 odd cent coffee at a gas station. My mom was like "Really?".

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Exactly those people.

Nah. There are tons of people who use cash for perfectly legitimate reasons. Many use cash over debit or credit whenever possible. There are various reasons for it. Some people just prefer cash because they find it easier to keep track of your money. If it is just sitting in a bank, it requires a bit more discipline to keep track of what you are charging.

I think it is partly a generational thing. Most people my age (based on observation, not any actual figures), usually just swipe cards or use GP/AP. But I see older people use cash quite often. I think they just grew up in an era where cash was king and still have that mindset.

47 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Haha, I use my debit card (either physical or through Google Pay) for pretty much everything . I was with my parents the other day and I swiped my debit card for like a $0.70 odd cent coffee at a gas station. My mom was like "Really?".

Depending on where you're from a CC is safer against fraud. Also rewards. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

*snap*

29tmGVr.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

is this new to america? this was in India on day 1,in India not you do you have cash on delivery, you even have drop off points with cash on delivery. and amazon alway had local options here, including the UPI, wallets. the only instance the COD is not available is if its a phone

image.png.b0c6eea56af8a91365df9437a33bf742.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

17 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

People who don't want to incur credit card charges. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 3/8/2019 at 8:00 AM, porina said:

I wonder if this is specifically targeted at regions where credit/debit cards are still less common than cash. Or maybe there is enough of an untapped market that can't/wont use card they want to try and get in 

Im from Colombia, a lot of people here like to pay in cash for everything.

We pay for steam games in cash, or other digital currencies like Riot Points.

In fact, the biggest online market here (Mercadolibre Colombia) have like 3 different ways to pay in cash (of course, you can pay with debit or credit too).

For people in developed countries it might not be as convinient, but I have more than 10 places to pay in cash within a 5 minutes walk from my home.

Also, it costs the same. Having a debit/credit card requires to pay a monthly fee, so its actually more expensive if you dont need one ( students, kids, etc).

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

People who don't want to incur credit card charges. 

CC charges are your choice.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On Friday, March 08, 2019 at 4:43 PM, aezakmi said:

It's easy to talk when your banks surely don't have ridiculous monthly maintenance costs

OP do you know if it works outside the US and EU?

Define "ridiculous"?

Even if you take away the two options here that offer free chequing accounts, the next step up is $1.99 a month which is less then the price of a cup of coffee so I'm not quite sure what you are referencing without numbers.

You must be really motivated in life if you have no bank account which would also mean no credit rating and therefore not ever able to purchase a vehicle or a home.

You could literally pay for a years worth of account fees with the outrageous cost of a single western union payment fee.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:45 AM, givingtnt said:

I don't see the appeal tbh.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, LukeSavenije said:

credit to @AluminiumTech for the sources

it's a interesting move to be sure, yet one that has a good reason: closing the gap between amazon being a webstore and a real life one

On 3/8/2019 at 7:32 PM, Raskolnikov said:

I think this is targeted, in the USA at least, towards undocumented immigrants and very low income people. Those are the demographics who typically don't have credit cards / bank accounts and deal in cash only. People who are either receiving paychecks in hand, and then go to cash them out immediately, or people who do odd jobs for cash.

These types of demographics are not served by online stores now, so I am sure Amazon sees a value in catering towards them and growing their customer base. They can still go online, pay with a code, and then have it shipped to an address of their choice.

Interesting concept. Never thought about it much before, but I expect this is a huge market.

For those who can't get a credit card for bad credit or other reasons and prefer to use cash, can't they just go to walmart and buy amazon gift cards with cash and pay with those? Seems a lot of work to place an order online first, then go pay at a western union counter, and wait few days for the delivery

On 3/8/2019 at 12:45 PM, givingtnt said:

I don't see the appeal tbh.

I use cash when i did not leave enough in the bank, do you even leave your house?

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

1 minute ago, BetterThanLife said:

do you even leave your house?

More than you probably.

I don't carry cash much tbh, I got 10$ in my wallet in case there's some emergency, other than that I basically always pay with my credit card.

not to say I don't have enough in my bank account, its just that I'm limited to 50 transactions / month, but not on credit. so I use that.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

More than you probably.

I don't carry cash much tbh, I got 10$ in my wallet in case there's some emergency, other than that I basically always pay with my credit card.

not to say I don't have enough in my bank account, its just that I'm limited to 50 transactions / month, but not on credit. so I use that.

I made the point because it was a mirror of your obscure misunderstanding of the larger image, not a personal violation towards you.

No wonder people have much less people skills and ability to read, i am talking about IRL not here in this specific case.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

Just now, BetterThanLife said:

if you're not targeting me then what's the point.
I fully understand the reasoning behind being able to pay with cash, not everyone has/wants credit or Paypal. 

Here we're not talking going to a store and paying cash, we're talking about buying something online and paying in cash, at a bank.
Why not have people pay on delivery ?
local drop-off points are a thing..

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

if you're not targeting me then what's the point.
I fully understand the reasoning behind being able to pay with cash, not everyone has/wants credit or Paypal. 

Here we're not talking going to a store and paying cash, we're talking about buying something online and paying in cash, at a bank.
Why not have people pay on delivery ?
local drop-off points are a thing..

Short cuts to everything means you rely on shortcuts for everything, no critical brain use, reduced to memes, short 1 liners and an inability to comprehend normal direct speech.

It is a real thing.

Amazon doing this gives people a breath of fresh air, why? someone comes to you door and you actually speak to them if you or Joe Bloggs are not some ignorant shell fish.

In a world dominated by mobile phones for faces.. just saying.

Self help guide.

1 minute ago, BetterThanLife said:

Short cuts to everything means you rely on shortcuts for everything, no critical brain use, reduced to memes, short 1 liners and an inability to comprehend normal direct speech.

It is a real thing.

amazon doing this gives people a breath of fresh air, why? someone comes to you door and you actually speak to them if you or Joe Bloggs are not some ignorant shell fish.

In a world dominated by mobile phones for faces.. just saying.

they don't go to your house, you go to a specific bank to pay.
You buy online, to then go out and pay at a bank, to come back home and wait for your delivery.

How is this different from going to a store ?
it completly nullifies the concept of amazon. except the items they have I guess, (not that you can't get that anywhere else...)

Just now, givingtnt said:

they don't go to your house, you go to a specific bank to pay.
You buy online, to then go out and pay at a bank, to come back home and wait for your delivery.

How is this different from going to a store ?
it completly nullifies the concept of amazon. except the items they have I guess, (not that you can't get that anywhere else...)

Point taken, i shall now shut my face thank you.

Self help guide.

In Japan you can order stuff from Amazon to the convenience store instead to your home address and even pay for the package upon delivery in there. And you are able to that for years now. Also, no extra charge for those services.

1 hour ago, Niksa said:

In Japan you can order stuff from Amazon to the convenience store instead to your home address and even pay for the package upon delivery in there. And you are able to that for years now. Also, no extra charge for those services.

i mean, postal service has done this here fore decades. its actually the more common form of delivery because it doesnt cost extra or is the cheapest for of delivery

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean, postal service has done this here fore decades. its actually the more common form of delivery because it doesnt cost extra or is the cheapest for of delivery

I think that it is a common thing. Also, I forgot to add that you can pay for the goods at the convenience stores and receive them at your home address as well.

1 minute ago, Niksa said:

I think that it is a common thing. Also, I forgot to add that you can pay for the goods at the convenience stores and receive them at your home address as well.

we can do that aswell. though not super common with business packages. on the other hand its very common with used market stuff.

you pay a little extra but the other guy who retrieves the package pays when he gets it