New NVENC(2gpu one for streaming one for gaming?)

Zeketo

New NVENC for streaming just came out and it claimed to be better than fast preset in h264 and better than medium if you set to a higher quality..

I just test it with my 1070 and it works great. The fps gets much higher comparing to what I get with h264 and also I am able to get a much better quality for my stream.

Is it possible to use one gpu dedicated to stream only and other one for gaming?

If that works, I am finally now able to stream without any quality concerns(bitrate and res) and with no fps drop whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Zeketo said:

New NVENC for streaming just came out and it claimed to be better than fast preset in h264 and better than medium if you set to a higher quality..

I just test it with my 1070 and it works great. The fps gets much higher comparing to what I get with h264 and also I am able to get a much better quality for my stream.

Is it possible to use one gpu dedicated to stream only and other one for gaming?

If that works, I am finally now able to stream without any quality concerns(bitrate and res) and with no fps drop whatsoever.

I mean its huge.

If this works, it means everyone can just get another gpu without setting up another streaming pc and basically getting the same result. I will be happy if I can stream any game on 1080p 60fps 6000bitrates on fast preset even with no fps drop (medium is my dream tho)

Something you're missing is that GPUs doesn't use CUDA for NVENC, it has a dedicated processing core (Titan XP / Xp / 1080 Ti have 2) to handle it, so having a dedicated card for it should in theory provide the very same performance.

Now what you could do is get a turing card like the GTX 1660 Ti which has an improved NVENC processing core that's noticeable more efficient than Pascal's.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

17 minutes ago, Zeketo said:

There's no point in doing that. Just use the one and same GPU both for streaming and gaming.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Something you're missing is that GPUs doesn't use CUDA for NVENC, it has a dedicated processing core (Titan XP / Xp / 1080 Ti have 2) to handle it, so having a dedicated card for it should in theory provide the very same performance.

Now what you could do is get a turing card like the GTX 1660 Ti which has an improved NVENC processing core that's noticeable more efficient than Pascal's.

My goal is to get the same fps while streaming as not streaming. Will I be able to achieve it by adding a dedicated gpu? I am not aiming for the insane quality. I wanna get the same fps with some decent quality settings in obs

Just now, Zeketo said:

My goal is to get the same fps while streaming as not streaming. Will I be able to achieve it by adding a dedicated gpu? I am not aiming for the insane quality. I wanna get the same fps with some decent quality settings in obs

If you use NVENC you will not have lower FPS since it's a seperate part of the gpu that does the encoding from the part that does the gaming :)

2 minutes ago, Zeketo said:

If you use NVENC, you'll get the exact same performance with two GPUs as you would with one GPU.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

They don't use their CUDA cores for NVENC encoding, so NVENC has no bearing on your FPS.

I can stream Destiny 2 from my GTX 780 and use NVENC encoding, I get exactly the same FPS as I do streaming that I get playing normally.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, mikat said:

If you use NVENC you will not have lower FPS since it's a seperate part of the gpu that does the encoding from the part that does the gaming :)

Oh I get what you guys are saying now. 

So using NVENC doesn't impact gpu gaming performance by any bit?

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can stream Destiny 2 from my GTX 780 and use NVENC encoding, I get exactly the same FPS as I do streaming that I get playing normally.

While not quite the same thing as I have a GTX1080, I've lately been streaming my gameplay on Twitch -- Tropico 6 for a couple of hours today, w00t! -- and I can totally attest to this. It doesn't change my performance a single frame per second in either direction.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They don't use their CUDA cores for NVENC encoding, so NVENC has no bearing on your FPS.

That's insane. I should do my research a little bit more.

But why do I feel laggy when I am streaming?

is it maybe because obs take some of the cpu usage?

I feel laggy when I am streaming apex. It didn't feel as smooth as I am playing when not streaming

But why do I feel laggy when I am streaming?

Are you talking about network-lag or framerate-drop? Two entirely different things. Streaming consumes your internet-bandwidth and if you don't have enough upload-bandwidth, you'll see network-lag in online-games.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

While not quite the same thing as I have a GTX1080, I've lately been streaming my gameplay on Twitch -- Tropico 6 for a couple of hours today, w00t! -- and I can totally attest to this. It doesn't change my performance a single frame per second in either direction.

I believe gtx1080 has 2 encoders on its NVENC chip just like 1080ti. I was just going through my research on this and find out about this

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Are you talking about network-lag or framerate-drop? Two entirely different things. Streaming consumes your internet-bandwidth and if you don't have enough upload-bandwidth, you'll see network-lag in online-games.

I am not 100% sure tho. I am certain that its not as smooth as not streaming. I think my internet is fine and consistent.

Does this improve streaming to twitch? I've heard that NVENC is not so great for twitch streaming and I have a friend of mine with a 1050 to and i5 and she'd rather not use the i5 because it's barely enough.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I am not 100% sure tho. I am certain that its not as smooth as not streaming. I think my internet is fine and consistent.

That answer is useless. I need to know if you're talking about lower FPS or not.

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Does this improve streaming to twitch? I've heard that NVENC is not so great for twitch streaming and I have a friend of mine with a 1050 to and i5 and she'd rather not use the i5 because it's barely enough.

You need to use a tad higher bitrate than if you used software-encoding and that has not changed, but e.g. I stream 1080p 60FPS at 6Mbps bitrate just fine. The streams look perfectly watchable and all.

I only just enabled the option to store the streams on my Twitch-account, so there aren't all that many clips there yet, but you can view what there is at https://www.twitch.tv/werecatf/videos and see for yourself.

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Does increasing bitrate or 60fps for stream impact the usage of cpu during streaming?

I still dont fully understand the whole thing.

If the NVENC is only using NVENC chip in a gpu to process the stream, is turning up my obs settings going to affect my gpu or cpu performance at all? lagging etc 

Just now, WereCatf said:

You need to use a tad higher bitrate than if you used software-encoding and that has not changed, but e.g. I stream 1080p 60FPS at 6Mbps bitrate just fine. The streams look perfectly watchable and all.

1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps are both tolerable (even 720p 30 if need be, based on her internet speed) but we've had some trouble making it work. Hopefully this improvement helps 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If the NVENC is only using NVENC chip in a gpu to process the stream, is turning up my obs settings going to affect my gpu or cpu performance at all? lagging etc 

No. Increasing bitrate does affect your Internet-bandwidth, though -- if you don't have enough bandwidth, you will lag. It has nothing to do with CPU or GPU.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

No. Increasing bitrate does affect your Internet-bandwidth, though -- if you don't have enough bandwidth, you will lag. It has nothing to do with CPU or GPU.

I mean I am pretty sure increasing bitrate will increase cpu usage for obs and thus drop frames during games. That sometimes could be the difference between a smooth gameplay and choppy one.My fps is lower in games when streaming.  I think it might be that 6% cpu usage on obs.

4 minutes ago, Zeketo said:

I mean I am pretty sure increasing bitrate will increase cpu usage for obs and thus drop frames during games.

Why do you keep arguing about this? You've been told multiple times now that no, bitrate does not affect anything as long as you use NVENC and your Internet-bandwidth can handle it. You can damn easily just go and test it yourself.

5 minutes ago, Zeketo said:

My fps is lower in games when streaming.  I think it might be that 6% cpu usage on obs.

You have not said what settings you use or given any useful information whatsoever about your setup, so there's nothing to be said here.

2 hours ago, Zeketo said:

Oh I get what you guys are saying now. 

So using NVENC doesn't impact gpu gaming performance by any bit?

I've used nvenc with my 1080ti and have never noticed a performance drop from it. It's pretty much a win win, and if you're starting out streaming the quality of nvenc is fine.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

I've used nvenc with my 1080ti and have never noticed a performance drop from it. It's pretty much a win win, and if you're starting out streaming the quality of nvenc is fine.

what game do you stream, did you try apex?

As there are a million variables to this, FPS may not be effected but gameplay can. 

Which is why a 2 pc setup is superior. Need to go for minimal system impact without a huge loss in quality. 

Need to adjust the settins in obs if you are set on using it. You are also limited on what something like twitch will except on bandwidth. So could be wasting effort to an extent. Should just do shawdowplay using nvidia, it’s pretty nice and has great quality. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz