Gaming CPU Build

HulkyThicc
2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

qlc isn't the best, but come on

for this price nvme is hard to resist

The HP EX920 is only 10$ extra, with wayyyyyyyy better performance tho...

39 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Your friend needs a reality check. Intel has always had superior single core performance

That is a lie.
At the early 2000s, Intel was behind with its "Netburst" Architecture, also IIRC Intel Katmai vs. AMD Argon and Pluto, where the AMD K7 took the crown.

And before that, the AMD K6-3 was the best for Integer, beating IIRC even the Pentium 2 at the time because of the low latency Core design and also full speed L2 Cache inside the CPU.

Though, in gaming Ryzen will be outperformed in CERTAIN instances because of it's much lower single core perf.

No, because of the higher frequency of AMD. per clock there isn't much difference between the two.

In benchmarks of CPU bound titles like AC Odyssey, an i5 8600k will be pinned at 90-100% usage with higher FPS than the Ryzen 7 2700x when it's only at 59% usage.

Yes and? It shows that there is still some room left to use on the 2700x while there is none on the i5.

With the "room left", the developers could do new things that weren't done before - and from what you hear, Ubi did work on that with Odyssey already.

The reason this happens is because games simply don't require that many cores or threads so you're left with significantly higher multi core speeds and a ton of headroom at a lower cost than an i7, yet it falters in single core perf where it counts in games.

God I hate this claim.

Because I had to read this shit too many times and always they were proven wrong.

The 2 Cores back when the Athlon 64 X2 came out were claimed by people like you to be useless that single core Performance is more important - and a just a couple of years later there were games that required at least 2 Cores.

And a bit later with the 4 Cores, that people claimed were not useful when the Phenom and Core 2 Quad came out - and were wrong again.

So why the heck sould it be different now?!

When it was proven wrong 2 times already, now the 3rd time it has to be correct? I do not think so!

Especially since we are still at the lower core count area where Amdahl's Law still shows some nice increasements of the performance (not as big as 1->2 or 2 -> 4 but stll significant).

When we're at 64 Cores, it might be something worth to talk about, under that its just bullshit as was the claim that 1 Core is better than 2 Cores for gaming.

Or that 2 Cores are better than 4 Cores for Gaming.

Face it: Its wrong. The future will bring massive parallelization and further improving on the utilization of multi core CPUs because sometimes there has to be the Hardware before the software will use it. So for someone who wants to use the PC as long as possible, more threads are better.

29 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:
  • 2 HDDs of different capacity

Well, I have my issues with Seagate Barracuda HDDs as they seem rather flimsy and to make it worse my versions (got 2) of the drives are vibrating and causing resonant effects with my case. 

Not that WD is much better. The insane thing is that the older EARX (old 2TB Green) are actually quieter than the newer (4TB) EZRX.

26 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

A midrange i5 9600k can OC to 5.2 Ghz stable on all 6 cores and doesn't break a sweat

Doesn't break a sweat?!
You looked at the power consumption of such system?!
What are we actually talking about?? Somewhere around 200W Consumption??

In a different thread I had someone claim that VEGA was inefficient and now you are arguing to makte the CPU inefficient??

And also look at the temperature, the cooler needed for that...

And for that to happen you also need a high end Heatsink - something like Noctua NH-D15 for like 70€ or a Watercooler for like 120€ or so. Yeah, no. 

You are totally overselling the CPU...

no buyers remorse here.

Yes there will be - when Zen2 comes out and beats the shit out of that thing for about the same or less money...

You really should look at the Leaks of Zen2, what they show.

Especially look at the 8 Core CPU that AMD has shown at CES - when there can/will be a 16 Core version as well.

So they have shown a lower end/mid range CPU - according to leaks a Ryzen 5 with only 8 Cores....

But that version might not ever be and the real Ryzen 5 might have 2 CPU Dies...

Sure you can upgrade to Zen 2 but if the update to Zen is anything like the refresh or Radeon 7 GPU it will not be worth it.

look at the facts.

There was already a Zen2 CPU shown that showed around the same performance of Intel at around half the Power with the same core count. Frequency is unknown, some people claim it might be at around 4,5GHz.

Plus, the z390 platform has a pretty nice upgrade path esp. as years go on and i9's get cheaper.

Why the heck are you claiming this shit?!
We know that that is not true.

We know that the price of the "higher end" Chips for the old, electrically identical LGA1151 Socket with 100 and 200 series Chipsets  is just rediculous.

We know that there is no upgrade path for that as the i9 will stay expensive there will be no price drop as there was no real price drop for the old Sky- and Kaby-Lake CPUs.

The facts totally disagree with you. Just look at what you have to pay for an i7-7700K right now!
Right now, new an i7-7700K is on sale for 375€ at some shop I don't know. Saturn has it for 393€, the more trusted Shops (Mindfactory and Caseking) are even around 405€uro.

Yeah, great upgrade path and so on...

Though with DDR5 coming out this year, looking to future proof before those boards arrive is a bit of a silly notion.

wich will require new sockets and boards...

And there isn't much known about that (yet), especially wich products will use DDR-5 SDRAM. AMD Annnounced that they will support AM4 through 2020. And they are very flexible with their Chiplet design anyway...

And you contradicted yourself with the next sentence...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I sent you a PM as well @HulkyThicc but here is a build I would suggest that's still within your budget. I left off the graphics card since you've already chosen that, so these parts + the GPU should be right around your price range of $1700 (unless that GTX 1080ti you found is still ridiculously expensive) for the whole system. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions that I can answer for you!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($105.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Core X9 Snow Edition ATX Desktop Case  ($168.84 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($128.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1129.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-25 06:36 EST-0500

Value single thread speed? Intel is your choice.

Need a flexible and value for money build but can compromise on performance in certain areas to achieve those? Go AMD.

I had a decent budget, wanted the benefits of Intel CPUs and would not find the benefit the flexibility and upgradability that AMD brings. I spent more money for what I got but got the benefits I need and sacrificed things I saw less value in.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

23 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($105.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Core X9 Snow Edition ATX Desktop Case  ($168.84 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($128.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1129.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-25 06:36 EST-0500

Its not that bad, BUT:

a) you waste money on a Cooler. An NH-D15 is cheaper and also pretty quiet as well. Hell even a Single Tower Cooler like Scythe Ashura is more than enough, though 

b) you waste money on a totally oversized PSU. You do not need anywhere close to 750W for that...

So that's around 150 Bucks or so that you wasted for no advantage...

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its not that bad, BUT:

a) you waste money on a Cooler. An NH-D15 is cheaper and also pretty quiet as well. Hell even a Single Tower Cooler like Scythe Ashura is more than enough, though 

b) you waste money on a totally oversized PSU. You do not need anywhere close to 750W for that...

He doesn't seem to be as concerned about the budget as whether or not it will perform appropriately; I tossed the cooler in as an afterthought. Its not necessary with that system but it does match with the case. AMD is also notoriously power-hungry, and I can attest to that as I have an AMD system that has ruined 2 power supplies already. I like to go a little higher than normal with the PSU, plus I have never had a Corsair PSU let me down.

In any case, my builds are only suggestions - OP doesn't have to take ANY of our suggestions, honestly. Something that no one here has really seemed to understand.

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its not that bad, BUT:

agree with the cooling being overkill, but the psu not so much, if OP decides to SLI down the line the 750W will come in handy.. I mean I never thought I'd go SLI but found a 1070 for such a bargain and play games like watch dogs 2 witcher 3 GTA V Far cry 5 metal gear solid V & FFXV which all either support native SLI or have a custom SLI profile so I went for it. got the second 1070 for 2800 Zar.. a secondhand 1060 sells for more.

10 hours ago, Dayglorange said:

He doesn't seem to be as concerned about the budget as whether or not it will perform appropriately; I tossed the cooler in as an afterthought. Its not necessary with that system but it does match with the case. AMD is also notoriously power-hungry, and I can attest to that as I have an AMD system that has ruined 2 power supplies already. I like to go a little higher than normal with the PSU, plus I have never had a Corsair PSU let me down.

In any case, my builds are only suggestions - OP doesn't have to take ANY of our suggestions, honestly. Something that no one here has really seemed to understand.

AMD used to be power hungry, not so much so when it comes to Ryzen, but whatever, Still not a bad PSU choice

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

8 minutes ago, Dayglorange said:

AMD is also notoriously power-hungry,

That's FUD from the Intel side.

Right now Ryzen is very efficient at default.

The Intel Chips are the Power Hungry ones this time around, when you let them run free, we're talking about something in the 200W Range.

and I can attest to that as I have an AMD system that has ruined 2 power supplies already.

A statement without facts is useless.

And the facts in this case would be to name the PSU. And the rest of the components.

But even with high quality units, I doubt your claim.

I don't doubt that the PSU broke.

I doubt your claim that it broke because of AMD. I'd say that they broke because of a manufacturing mishap or rough handling in shipping.

Whatever the system would be irrelevant. Even if you'd use that PSU to power some Lamps it would still have broken.

4 minutes ago, Cryptonite said:

but the psu not so much, if OP decides to SLI down the line the 750W will come in handy..

I hate that argument because its total nonsense.

I've never seen anyone "upgrade" to a second card because that never happens.

Especially since it just does not work with many titles!

I just tried it last week with 2 Tahiti cards and it neither  worked in newer Ubi Titles (Division, AC: Odyssey) nor Resident Evil 2.

Sadly I didn't try Destiny 2...

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I just tried it last week with 2 Tahiti cards and it neither  worked in newer Ubi Titles (Division, AC: Odyssey) nor Resident Evil 2.

I'm basically in the same boat as you when it comes to SLI, I don't think it's worth it to "upgrade to" but still if you pick up a bargain on the second card years after you purchased the first and have specific games you like playing it is worth getting. especially in a case where you can always send one to your second rig and put one in your GF's pc when you finally find something worth upgrading to. (this is my specific case) and I don't know if OP would have a similar case down the line so I'm basically just saying I wouldn't have done the deal if I didn't already have a 700 Watt psu in my system.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's FUD from the Intel side.

Right now Ryzen is very efficient at default.

The Intel Chips are the Power Hungry ones this time around, when you let them run free, we're talking about something in the 200W Range.

A statement without facts is useless.

And the facts in this case would be to name the PSU. And the rest of the components.

But even with high quality units, I doubt your claim.

I don't doubt that the PSU broke.

I doubt your claim that it broke because of AMD. I'd say that they broke because of a manufacturing mishap or rough handling in shipping.

Whatever the system would be irrelevant. Even if you'd use that PSU to power some Lamps it would still have broken.

Here's the thing, everyone here has different opinions and different facts to back up those opinions. So sure, we could argue about it all day and still not be of any help to the OP. So instead of trying to shove my opinions on someone who's obviously not familiar with PC building, I chose to share what I've experienced and recommend something I would build if I were in their shoes.

All that should matter is that the person building the system gets a system that they will be happy with.

1 minute ago, Dayglorange said:

I chose to share what I've experienced

Yeah, but what do 2 faulty PSU have to do with AMD. I don't get that train of thought.

Especially if that would happen "on the other side", you wouldn't blame the CPU for that.

Why did you blame the CPU that the PSU broke?!

What I'm saying is those PSU were faulty, be it manufacturing error, a faulty Component or mishap in transport, doesn't matter...

They would have failed regardless because of that.

1 minute ago, Dayglorange said:

All that should matter is that the person building the system gets a system that they will be happy with.

Yes and I don't like it when people claim somethings that is just not true -> Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

I don't understand why you claimed those things that can be proven wrong easily with that presentation...

PS: I also had an AMD FX8350 and also used it with the Boxed Heatsink. It wasn't that warm.

I really don't get the bashing.

But then again, we're at peole justifying their 350€ CPU over the AMD dude with the 150€ (or less) CPU that claims that he can be close to you...

Going the AMD route means you can spend a bit more on the gpu. If you are aiming for 1440p then not a huge difference. 

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, but what do 2 faulty PSU have to do with AMD. I don't get that train of thought.

Especially if that would happen "on the other side", you wouldn't blame the CPU for that.

Why did you blame the CPU that the PSU broke?!

What I'm saying is those PSU were faulty, be it manufacturing error, a faulty Component or mishap in transport, doesn't matter...

They would have failed regardless because of that.

Yes and I don't like it when people claim somethings that is just not true -> Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

I don't understand why you claimed those things that can be proven wrong easily with that presentation...

PS: I also had an AMD FX8350 and also used it with the Boxed Heatsink. It wasn't that warm.

I really don't get the bashing.

But then again, we're at peole justifying their 350€ CPU over the AMD dude with the 150€ (or less) CPU that claims that he can be close to you...

It was literally just an anecdote. I don't know what really killed those PSUs but I know my CPU is a power hog, and its also dying and I don't have the money to replace it. Its got other problems. Really, why does it matter? Its like I was just sharing my own experience and point of view or something...I never claimed it to be fact that AMD chips kill PSUs or anything. Just my system seems to have gone that way. Some people like MSI. Every experience I've had with them has been crap. *shrug*

I guess maybe I should have been more clear and specified that I don't believe my CPU was responsible for killing two PSUs but it sure could seem that way to someone who didn't know any better.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

You are reading inbetween the lines of my post, I clearly suggested a 6 core processor. At no point did I say games only require 2 cores, this isn't 2014 anymore and I recognize that based upon my suggestion. The OP is looking for pure gaming performance, the 9600k beats the 2700x in every non-synthetic game play benchmark I could find which is representative of real world usage. Also, my CPU is at 5.2 Ghz consistently and doesn't hit 100% usage period. I game at 1080p 144Hz and with a 280mm AIO I never even get near 60 degrees celsius, highest I get is 53 so I'm not exactly sure where your numbers are coming from. The i5 is a very power/thermal efficient CPU and there's no way it would pull 200w with a 95w TDP in the real world, you are out of your cotton picking mind. The only way you'd even think about hitting 200w is if you had a complex benchmark with an AVX instruction set like a serious Prime 95 run. Also, I don't care about old gen AMD. When I say "Always had superior single core perf" I'm speaking of recent CPU revelations, I'd like to see a defense for bulldozer/piledriver when those CPU's couldn't even compete with an i5 that was 3 gens old. No reason for you to get so heated and gatekeepy, Also CPU usage means nothing if it's not using it, at 59% usage and it's still under-performing with an OC then headroom doesn't matter. I never denied that Ryzen CPU's were great processors, they're great for synthetic benchmarks, content creation and the like because of that headroom but they simply don't have the same single core perf as intel. 

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor