How can I test my new D5 pumps without tops installed?

Euphoria
Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,

If u just want to test to see if they turn on and work for a few seconds then u can, a short burst dry wont be harmfull. If ur so concerned then simply wet the impellar.

Running dry is damaging when done for extended periods of time, heat and friction causes the damage, however a short burst ,especialy if wet, wont cause any damage.

For example, Jay , over at JayzTwoCents, had to salvage a pump, he swaped out the impellars and ran it dry on camera for a second or so to ensure it worked and to show the camera, no harm done.

At 3:55. 

Again not recommended to run dry, but a few seconds wont hurt especialy if its neccesery for testing purposes like in ur case.

I need some ideas and advice, please. I received my lovely new EK D5 pumps a couple weeks ago, my pump tops should have arrived about the same time but were delayed a week or two... or seven or ten. I've now been told it will be another few weeks or longer before they get new stock.

My concern is I only have 72hrs left of my return window, so I need to test the pumps to make sure they're fine and working without issue, if not at the moment I can just get them replaced but if I wait until my tops arrive and then find out there's an issue or dead pump I have to RMA. They were shipped internationally in really poor packaging which arrived pretty banged up hence really needing to test them while I still have the return policy.

So, if anyone knows of a surefire way to test a D5 pump without a pump top installed, without running it dry, and without getting water inside the motor I would be extremely grateful.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

No.

And the pumps won't be dead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No.

And the pumps won't be dead.

"No"... what?

I know D5s are repurposed industrial pumps and are therefore *mostly bulletproof but the bright spark that shipped these put them in a large cardboard box together with nothing else, no foam, no scrunched paper, no packing peanuts, zero anything, and then shipped them over 3000km to me, so both pumps just bashed around against each other the whole time. When it arrived the box looked like it had been used as a football.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

22 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

"No"... what?

I know D5s are repurposed industrial pumps and are therefore *mostly bulletproof but the bright spark that shipped these put them in a large cardboard box together with nothing else, no foam, no scrunched paper, no packing peanuts, zero anything, and then shipped them over 3000km to me, so both pumps just bashed around against each other the whole time. When it arrived the box looked like it had been used as a football.

No you can't test them without a top.

And why did you buy them used??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If u just want to test to see if they turn on and work for a few seconds then u can, a short burst dry wont be harmfull. If ur so concerned then simply wet the impellar.

Running dry is damaging when done for extended periods of time, heat and friction causes the damage, however a short burst ,especialy if wet, wont cause any damage.

For example, Jay , over at JayzTwoCents, had to salvage a pump, he swaped out the impellars and ran it dry on camera for a second or so to ensure it worked and to show the camera, no harm done.

At 3:55. 

Again not recommended to run dry, but a few seconds wont hurt especialy if its neccesery for testing purposes like in ur case.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

40 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No you can't test them without a top.

And why did you buy them used??

No, they are brand new, it just seems that the retailer has some morons working in their packing and shipping department.

42 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

-snip-

That's very good to know, thank you. I'll give this a try.

24 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

No, they are brand new, it just seems that the retailer has some morons working in their packing and shipping department.

Did you not buy them directly from EK?

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Did you not buy them directly from EK?

No, very few retailers/companies ship to the country I recently emigrated to, or if they do the shipping costs are normally more than the item is worth, so I'm limited on where I can buy things.