Looking for a small itx case with 5.25 expension

trolouce

Hey guys!

Replacing my parents' 5+ year old hp pcs, but cant be bigger, and needs to have the ODD, which makes it difficult to build one, as the old cases seem like small micro-atx or mini-itx size, which most cases that size available dont have a 5.25 expansion bay, or if the do they end up too big, or come with a psu thats too small. (Need 400w min so i dont want to buy one i cant use) 

Was planning on getting the azza csaz-103 its a very small size with a disk tray and looks pretty good (although i am planning some mods, like repainting) but it dissapeared from all online stores like 2 weeks ago 

Im not afraid of a difficult build, but i dont want to spend more than 130 or 140 cnd on the case itself.

Anyone know of a good possible case? Some pictures are decieving for physical size after all, but i want to build them as small as possible, useing an rx550 gpu(short, 1fan), and itx mobo, 1 ssd, 1 hdd, 1 odd.

Or do you know when some new itx cases might be coming out lol.

Would using an external USB optical disk drive be an option? It would give you a lot more options when it comes to mini itx cases.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

USB DVD Drive is like 20€ or so.

And you have far more options.

5,25" Drives are like somewhere around 25% of the Size of a small USB Case...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, trolouce said:

Anyone know of a good possible case? Some pictures are decieving for physical size after all, but i want to build them as small as possible, useing an rx550 gpu(short, 1fan), and itx mobo, 1 ssd, 1 hdd, 1 odd.

Cases like the Silverstone RVZ02 and ML07B have slim ODD bays if that works for you. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 2/20/2019 at 5:55 AM, Spotty said:

Would using an external USB optical disk drive be an option? It would give you a lot more options when it comes to mini itx cases.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:12 AM, Stefan Payne said:

USB DVD Drive is like 20€ or so.

And you have far more options.

5,25" Drives are like somewhere around 25% of the Size of a small USB Case...

One system is connected to a 4k tv and has a blu ray drive in it, an external blu ray is $100+ and the dvd drives are $40-50+ for the other system, not to mention they add ugly clutter. And id rather not add 150-200$ for drives that i already have. Keep in mind im dealing with canadian ruples here. So those 2 drives are about the price 1-2 cases, or power supplies. 

On 2/20/2019 at 10:07 AM, TVwazhere said:

Cases like the Silverstone RVZ02 and ML07B have slim ODD bays if that works for you

Slim would still be better than none, for less clutter than an external, but still roughly the same price for drives, and i would like to reuse the current odd's if i can. Those do look good for backups though

11 hours ago, trolouce said:

Hey guys!

Replacing my parents' 5+ year old hp pcs, but cant be bigger, and needs to have the ODD, which makes it difficult to build one, as the old cases seem like small micro-atx or mini-itx size, which most cases that size available dont have a 5.25 expansion bay, or if the do they end up too big, or come with a psu thats too small. (Need 400w min so i dont want to buy one i cant use) 

Was planning on getting the azza csaz-103 its a very small size with a disk tray and looks pretty good (although i am planning some mods, like repainting) but it dissapeared from all online stores like 2 weeks ago 

Im not afraid of a difficult build, but i dont want to spend more than 130 or 140 cnd on the case itself.

Or do you know when some new itx cases might be coming out lol.

ITX Case with a full fat 5 1/4"? I only know of one. It would be this one. I actually have one I may be willing to sell depending on price.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

10 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Theres a few on newegg and amazon but they mostly use tfx psu which doest go over 300w. The elite 130 comes up alot though, youve built with it? How much space does it take up? Is the frame sturdy enouph to put something ontop of it?

13 minutes ago, trolouce said:

Theres a few on newegg and amazon but they mostly use tfx psu which doest go over 300w. The elite 130 comes up alot though, youve built with it? How much space does it take up? Is the frame sturdy enouph to put something ontop of it?

mini itx elite 130

got everything you want: 5.25 bay/ atx psu/ full length gpu

I built one with elite 110, the cube without 5.25"bay, easy to build with semi modular psu.

it looks small, but it isnt... (fold some cardboards and you will know...)

the frame is sturdy , but at also act as vents. 

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

mini itx elite 130

got everything you want: 5.25 bay/ atx psu/ full length gpu

I built one with elite 110, the cube without 5.25"bay, easy to build with semi modular psu.

it looks small, but it isnt... (fold some cardboards and you will know...)

the frame is sturdy , but at also act as vents. 

Yeah, that seems to be the downside of the cube format cases, they look small but they have a big footprint in person. I got the cooler master HAF XB evo for one of my builds, and its short but very wide lol. Folding cardboard to get a size is a good idea tho

9 hours ago, trolouce said:

I must have linked the wrong one... The ITX Elite 130 is the case I meant to link. But to answer your question it is plenty sturdy.

It does take up a surprising amount of space given it's hardware capacity (though in depth, as a adequate space for a full length PSU, and ODD without choking off an air cooler is difficult in an ITX case without this concession). It is, however, a fine case to build in. Cable management is essentially non existent, especially if you have a motherboard with strange positioning of the 24 and 8 pin (the latter especially). You would need to spend probably a day in itself to make a build look neat without custom cables.

And yes, I had an HAF XB Evo myself. That thing was freaking massive. I sold it off because for such a large case, it didn't have the best support for long GPU's. My ROG STRIX RX580 did not fit.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

7 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

And yes, I had an HAF XB Evo myself. That thing was freaking massive. I sold it off because for such a large case, it didn't have the best support for long GPU's. My ROG STRIX RX580 did not fit.

Really? That sucks, im still on an r9 380 4g strix, it fits well, with 2 noctua intake and a noctua exhaust 120mm pwm fans it has beautiful cooling, and the hot swap 3.5" bays and 2 5.25" bays make it great for lots of drives, im gonna turn it into more of a file server after i do myself a new build i think.

I just measured the old cases so i could compare better online, and my dads wont be hard to replace, as his is a bit bigger at 17.13" x 7.48" x 18.31" (hxwxd)

So the cooler master carbide 88r or even fractal design focus g mini might work, but my moms is 14.37" x 6.5" x 15.55"

I found a rosewill close to that size i might have to get https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-147-166&Ignorebbr=true

But its pretty ugly and seems cheap.

1 hour ago, trolouce said:

Really? That sucks, im still on an r9 380 4g strix, it fits well, with 2 noctua intake and a noctua exhaust 120mm pwm fans it has beautiful cooling, and the hot swap 3.5" bays and 2 5.25" bays make it great for lots of drives, im gonna turn it into more of a file server after i do myself a new build i think.

I just measured the old cases so i could compare better online, and my dads wont be hard to replace, as his is a bit bigger at 17.13" x 7.48" x 18.31" (hxwxd)

So the cooler master carbide 88r or even fractal design focus g mini might work, but my moms is 14.37" x 6.5" x 15.55"

I found a rosewill close to that size i might have to get https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-147-166&Ignorebbr=true

But its pretty ugly and seems cheap.

Rosewill cases in general are pretty cheap, imo. I had one, didn't feel like an ultra high end super tower (which is what it claimed to be).

Buy something from Fractal if you're looking for an MATX tower. I am using a Define Mini C TG rn, love it to death. (Only note I have is a 240/280MM rad is a no-go with tall RAM or a large video card. Both of which I have in mine).

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Rosewill cases in general are pretty cheap, imo. I had one, didn't feel like an ultra high end super tower (which is what it claimed to be).

Buy something from Fractal if you're looking for an MATX tower. I am using a Define Mini C TG rn, love it to death. (Only note I have is a 240/280MM rad is a no-go with tall RAM or a large video card. Both of which I have in mine).

Yeah, my brother has the define r5, they make a good case, temped by the define r6 but its a bulky case.

11 hours ago, trolouce said:

Yeah, my brother has the define r5, they make a good case, temped by the define r6 but its a bulky case.

Then track down an R5, its a little smaller. The R6 is nice cause EATX support, however.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

After researching ITX I quickly decided external USB drives are a better choice. 

Then again I only use it very occasionally as most things I do don’t need it. I just have it just in case.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

7 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

After researching ITX I quickly decided external USB drives are a better choice. 

Then again I only use it very occasionally as most things I do don’t need it. I just have it just in case.

Yeah, i dont use one havent had one in my build for a few years, but my mom uses disks for her pc games (so many sims games, and some others), and tax programs, and they have some disks filled with pictures. And the other pc is hooked up to a 55" 4k tv for blurays and uhd videos. And its already got a bluray drive.

After discussing it and moving stuff around and taking some more measurements i found a few good cases that would fit, sucks that they both like the tower to the left of the monitor so the side window is against the wall though lol, not enough cases with inverted mobo trays lol.