Average time for a build?

Mine took just under a year, lol

Once all the mods were done though, roughly 6 hours for the actual build not counting time included to bleed loop

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

My build is never done.  It's always in a constant state of me playing around with it.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

My first build probably took me 5 hours, it was a bit overwhelming even after watching many linus tutorials and other guides on youtube.

I just built my second rig and it took me 2 hours 30 minutes to get it running, add another hour for proper cable management after it was already running and its about 3 hours. I spent probably 30 hours picking parts though.

I actually made a time lapse to show people how I built mine -

Project: Vengeance

Intel i7 4770k | EVGA GTX 770 ACX | UD4H Z87 Mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz | Seasonic X 750 Watt PSU | Corsair H100 w/ SP120s | Titanium X-FI HD Sound Card | Lamptron Fc5v3 | Plextor MP5 Xtreme 128GB SSD

YT  - http://www.youtube.com/user/jam3s121

It depends. 

Computer building is fun and I like to take my time but sometimes I find the system done almost too quickly... 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

depends for me as well.

If it's a simple build for someone like a relative to do average internet browsing I can get the physical work done in 1 ot 2 hours, sometimes less. OS & software installations vary.

i average 3-6 on my own builds, component wise. but that's because i have a ton of fan and HDD cables to work into cable management and i try to make it as perfect as possible

Main Website | Main Youtube | Main Tumblr | Gaming Channel | Music | Local Tech Blog

Raidmax Agusta | Cooler Master GeminII S524 | AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | 16GB DDR3 RAM | 2GB GeForce GTX 760

Sony, ASUS & Western Digital devotee

Depends on the complexity of the build. Just a basic build using all the stock coolers and case fans I can have it up and running in about an hour.

the most important thing is the planning and prep.. if you have a big table with everything layed out easier its going to be quicker than if you are in a room with low light and not a lot of room to work

Project: Vengeance

Intel i7 4770k | EVGA GTX 770 ACX | UD4H Z87 Mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz | Seasonic X 750 Watt PSU | Corsair H100 w/ SP120s | Titanium X-FI HD Sound Card | Lamptron Fc5v3 | Plextor MP5 Xtreme 128GB SSD

YT  - http://www.youtube.com/user/jam3s121

About an hour. Then another hour for software installation and basic overclocking. Then like a week to get the max OC's

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

It really depends on the time you take with cable management. Zip tying, planning out cable routes etc. I'd say an hour or two for the whole build, then 1hour to a couple days if you're sleeving cables :P

I like to use my time, make a day out of it, you know? Make stuff look all pretty and shit.

3 to 6 hours, depending on how much I fuck up with my clumsy hands.

I ordered something from Austin and it went to Canada and then to me. I'm like 8-10 hours away from Austin...

Gotta love that shipping. Something I ordered started in mississippi,went to georgia, then to mississippi, then to tennesse, then came to me... I'm in north alabama -_-

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

About half a day, so I put >7 hours. I'm very particular with my cable routing, also that time included adding water cooled components.

On the other hand, if this we a run of the mill build for someone else, probably less than 3 hours.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Gotta love that shipping. Something I ordered started in mississippi,went to georgia, then to mississippi, then to tennesse, then came to me... I'm in north alabama -_-

Why companies do that I'll just never know....

I like to use my time, make a day out of it, you know? Make stuff look all pretty and shit.

3 to 6 hours, depending on how much I fuck up with my clumsy hands.

I hate front panel connectors, my fingers aren't the biggest there are but they're a real bitch.

My first build (and currently only) build was about 2 1/2 hours because I was in a rush. My case arrived at 4:30pm and I wanted it finished with an installed OS before the WAN show came on at 7:30pm. I guess if you count the unboxing of all the parts before my case arrived about 3 hours.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

My first build (and currently only) build was about 2 1/2 hours because I was in a rush. My case arrived at 4:30pm and I wanted it finished with an installed OS before the WAN show came on at 7:30pm. I guess if you count the unboxing of all the parts before my case arrived about 3 hours.

That'll get you some motivation!

My builds usually take somewhere between 2 - 3 hours, cable management usually takes up the most about of time. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

water cooling takes longer, usually about 5 hours for me, can you add that to the poll?

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Depends on a lot of different stuff. My first ever build took 2-3 hours, and some extra time to work out some kinks. Installing the OS and making it work properly took some time as well.

If I were to rebuild my PC again, it would probably take an hour or so

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

it all really depends on cable management. Normally 2-3 hours, If I were to skip Cable management and just whack it all in probably less than an hour.

But I'm a bit of a cable management freak I must make it neat xD

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Well about half an hour for the hardware. The OS can take around an hour on most of my mid end gaming builds. If I remember correctly. Then again these are pretty standard systems. Not much in terms of extras in terms of cooling or lights.

I looked around on the forum and I'm surprised I didn't find a topic about this.

Question:

How long do you usually take when building a computer from scratch, all the parts in the boxes to having it post and closing the case up?

It takes me about 3 hours, sometimes 3 1/2.

Depends on the build. Typical build with no water cooling or custom sleeving, 3-4HRs. If it has custom loop and sleeving, 2-3 days.