Average time for a build?

I looked around on the forum and I'm surprised I didn't find a topic about this.

Question:

How long do you usually take when building a computer from scratch, all the parts in the boxes to having it post and closing the case up?

It takes me about 3 hours, sometimes 3 1/2.

3 to 4 hours

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

It took me under an hour but it depends each time since someone could have more components, fans, etc.

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Around 3 hours for me I like to take my time

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

I think my first build took almost the whole day because I went through it very slowly to make sure that everything is in the correct place but I think I would be quicker the next time I build.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Depends on the components

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Mine took nearly 2 months....

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

About two hours for the main stuff, then about a month of anal-retentive cable management.

im good with placing all the parts in eg cpu gpu and cooler but then the cables come along and i start ripping out my hair 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

If you manage to build your computer fully in an hour, I'm willing to put money on the fact that the reverse of the motherboard tray looks like the Gaza strip.

Go forth and maximize profits.

if it's just building something for someone (which usually don't get the kind of attention personal rig gets)

rather quick usually, although my own build is always evolving ceaselessly :P

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

If you manage to build your computer fully in an hour, I'm willing to put money on the fact that the reverse of the motherboard tray looks like the Gaza strip.

if it's just 1 graphic, 1-2 storage, I doubt you can make it messy under 1 hour :P

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

It was my first build and it took me about 45 minutes to do, though it wasn't perfect. Particularly the cables on the back side, so I did redo that in the future. I already knew what I had to do to build it from research so it didn't take long. That first power up though... Nerve racking.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

.0000001 nanosecond cause I am superman..

It takes 2-4 hours depending on the things I need to install.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Awhile. It took me a day to build my computer, and then a few days later I rewired it, which took a few hours.

It really depends how in depth you go, and how much attention you pay.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Awhile. It took me a day to build my computer, and then a few days later I rewired it, which took a few hours.

It really depends how in depth you go, and how much attention you pay.

Plug the thing in the thing and put the cable in the thing :P

First build was 2 hours. My current rig took at least 10x that for the cable sleeving and case modding alone. Then you have the water cooling, cable management, and the constant planning, re planning, and (admittedly) salvaging.

how to order my parts spread out through the week and then fedex.. "hey we have to deliver this for TN to MI how about we go across the country"

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

how to order my parts spread out through the week and then fedex.. "hey we have to deliver this for TN to MI how about we go across the country"

I ordered something from Austin and it went to Canada and then to me. I'm like 8-10 hours away from Austin...

Why rush a beautiful thing

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p