Using flash drive to increase ram

HypedKid

So, I'm playing games with only 8 GB of ram( dual channel, 2666 MHz) and I want to have more for better performance, but it's not really cheap. what if I would use Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive? 

(Read speed up to 90MB/s)

(Write speed up to 30MB/s)

2 minutes ago, HypedKid said:

So, I'm playing games with only 8 GB of ram( dual channel, 2666 MHz) and I want to have more for better performance, but it's not really cheap. what if I would use Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive? 

I'm pretty sure Windows doesn't allow you to put the swap-file on removable media in the first place. Also, no, that's not a viable option even if Windows did allow for that. RAM is RAM and there is no substitute for it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I'm pretty sure Windows doesn't allow you to put the swap-file on removable media in the first place. Also, no, that's not a viable option even if Windows did allow for that. RAM is RAM and there is no substitute for it.

Actually there is a way to do that with windows, a little bit of research shows otherwise

1 minute ago, Juniiii said:

Actually there is a way to do that with windows, a little bit of research shows otherwise

Ya, it's called ReadyBoost

ReadyBoost is a file-cache, it's not the same thing as swap.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Readboost would only show some performance increase with old computers running 1gb-2gb, otherwise you won’t notice much increase and would be a waste of money, though the flash drive is a nice flash drive

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

ReadyBoost is a file-cache, it's not the same thing as swap.

Even if it was swap, it would still be a lot slower than just adding more RAM.

A lot of people tend to underestimate just how fast the RAM bus is...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Even if it was swap, it would still be a lot slower than just adding more RAM.

A lot of people tend to underestimate just how fast the RAM bus is...

@Crunchy Dragon but what about ram OC? I heard that amd systems like higher ram speed

Just now, HypedKid said:

@Crunchy Dragon but what about ram OC? I heard that amd systems like higher ram speed

Ryzen specifically likes faster RAM(in the 3000+Mhz range) but most people aren't likely to notice a performance difference between 2133Mhz and 3200Mhz. The difference in games would be a handful of FPS, nothing that's really too noticeable or beneficial.

High end power users would most likely benefit from the higher performance, but most of the people buying Ryzen likely will not.

That said, faster RAM can help speed up a system, but I personally would recommend more RAM over faster RAM.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Juniiii said:

3BA6980A-F0A8-49E0-B5FE-13793D7E4153.png

B110A7C7-0A09-4F41-B73C-F644F32B92F2.png

Those are irrelevant: the OP was asking about using the USB-disk as swap in order to make their games run better, but what you're linking to is application-startup-times with ReadyBoost -- two completely different topics. ReadyBoost does absolutely, literally NOTHING for already-running stuff, like e.g. games, which the OP asked about.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That said, faster RAM can help speed up a system, but I personally would recommend more RAM over faster RAM.

This. 8GB RAM is just too little nowadays for modern games and it doesn't matter even if the OP had 4200MHz RAM, the much bigger upgrade would come from going for 16GB RAM, even if it was slow.

17 minutes ago, HypedKid said:

"for better performance"

This will not help you. If anything it would make things worse. Now these statistics are entirely dependent on your systems configuration so take them with a PHAT grain of salt (yes, a grain so fat that fat is spent incorrectly). RAM will generally operate in the GB/s range (>1000MB/s). This is further exacerbated by dual, triple (kind of but not necessarily depreciated), & quad channel. If files are being read at over 4GB/s and suddenly a file needs to be read from your thumb drive at <90MB/s...you see where I'm going with this right? Even paging files in an HDD or SSD will show a noticeable slow down when files need to be read from disk due to a lack of system memory.

More RAM is really the only way you'll see better performance unless you happen to find a way to make your system more efficient.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This. 8GB RAM is just too little nowadays for modern games and it doesn't matter even if the OP had 4200MHz RAM, the much bigger upgrade would come from going for 16GB RAM, even if it was slow.

“Too little” Id beg to differ.

41 minutes ago, HypedKid said:

So, I'm playing games with only 8 GB of ram( dual channel, 2666 MHz) and I want to have more for better performance

Performance doesn't scale continuously with the amount of RAM: if you are currently using 8GB without paging, or less, then more RAM will have no impact whatsoever.

If you are using more than 8GB in games, and therefore constantly paging, more RAM will be better up until the point in which you have enough again. Then it won't matter how much you add.

Using storage as a poor substitute of RAM is something your OS already does on its own, no need to add a flashdrive for that.