Alternative to Launchy that isn't sluggish?

david.lesicnik
Go to solution Solved by Koeshi,

I haven't noticed any kind of lag when starting Wox, it is just alt+space and it is there before the keys have even gone back to resting position.  Also the Everything integration makes it nice for finding documents even if that is not something you are looking for.

So basically, I'm starting to feel Launchy is getting old in the tooth (no out-of-the-box support for Windows 10 apps, etc) and I've been on the search for an alternative. So far I've checked out Wox and Keypirinha (which seem to be two of the more popular ones), but both of them feel a bit sluggish to start up. When I click alt+space Launchy pops up and I can start typing immediately, whereas the other two always have an extra moments of hesitation which usually leads to cut off input (because I start typing too quickly).

I don't use Launchy for document finding (well partially, I use Everything for that and in launchy I do "find [tab] file" and it searches in everything for "file").

I use Launchy more for launching programs and as a quick calculator (I can quickly tab alt + space and type in a simple math problem, so I don't need to open the Calculator app everytime).

I haven't noticed any kind of lag when starting Wox, it is just alt+space and it is there before the keys have even gone back to resting position.  Also the Everything integration makes it nice for finding documents even if that is not something you are looking for.

6 hours ago, Koeshi said:

I haven't noticed any kind of lag when starting Wox, it is just alt+space and it is there before the keys have even gone back to resting position. Also the Everything integration makes it nice for finding documents even if that is not something you are looking for.

I'll give Wox another shot, maybe they've improved it since I last used it. And while Everything integration isn't super important, it's still nice to have (while not "out of the box" you can get it to work with Launchy)

EDIT: Yeah! They've really improved it, I guess I should've tried it again instead of just dismissing it based on past experience. Thanks!

Glad to hear it :)  Wox is one of the first things I install on work Windows machines were I will be switching around between programs regularly.

• 8 months later...

I just tried WoX and it looks amazing so far, finally something to Rescue me from Windows 10's terrible start menu and Searc