Ryzen 5 1400 vs i3 8100

1 minute ago, david cassar said:

I am reusing my cooler from a previous build and its quite a decent cooler (definitely better than stock). I'm confident that if I were to overclock the ryzen 1400 i could probably get 3.8ghz out of it.

Well in that case try to shell out a little bit more for the motherboard if possible, as a good overclock will defiantly push it over the edge in overall head to head performance against the i3 8100. I would consider as someone else said to buy a second hand 1600. There should be a pretty decent amount still looking to sell their chips as Ryzen 20XX chips have been out for sometime.

Get a Ryzen 5 1400, it way more better than i3- 8100. Also you will get future upgrade option as ryzen 3rd gen support the same MOBO.

22 minutes ago, Jitendra said:

Get a Ryzen 5 1400, it way more better than i3- 8100. Also you will get future upgrade option as ryzen 3rd gen support the same MOBO.

Or buy once cry once and get the 2600 and ignore cpu upgrades for 3+ years.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

7 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Your looking at one single game to say that the Ryzen 1400 is better than the i3 8100

You were the one claiming that it doesn't matter and generalizing.

I proved that there are situations, where the Ryzen 1400, because of 8 THreads, wich according to you is not relevant, beats the 8100 by a fairly large margin with rather low fps...

So why push him towards the kinfe?! Especially when he doesn't have much money?! And claim things that are not true...

The claim that "xx Threads don't matter" is just plain wrong.

We are just beginning to see more use of really multithreaded software - like AC: Odyssey - wich will only increase over time.

, here are 2 videos that show a wider variety of games were the i3 8100 performed on par or better than the Ryzen 1400. 

See, on par...

And the one I've provided show a significant faster performance under heavily multithreaded games.

The Open World Ubi Titles are known to be heavy on the CPUs and heavy parallized, so they show the direction its going.

Why recommending the old shit, when you can have something better??

Also AMD CPUs get pretty cheap when they are EOL, used Prices are also better than the other side.

If you list all those things, there really is hardly anything left for Intel, especially the lower end ones.

And the "performance for Gaming" is just not entirely true. Thats something that comes from the 5GHz OC stuff, not the lower end Stuff, where it is less true and the AMD solutions by far the better deal.

As for overclocking its pretty clear that the OP is on a pretty tight budget and has now pointed on he is looking at only has 2 dimm slots which while not guaranteed decreases the likelihood of the board being anything decent for overclocking, and that's assuming the OP even has the budget to get a cooler. 

And overclocking these days is total nonsense anyway as it dramatically increases the Power Consumption but doesn't increase the Clockrates much.

At this point in time we are at +50% Power Consumption for 12,5% higher clockrates or something like that.

The times where you can increase the clockrates by +50% with just one setting are gone. THAT was when OC made really sense.

Or in the LGA1366 and LGA1156 times.

But in the last couple of years it became more and more irrelevant.

Just look at the data! 

And how much the clockrates relatively increases!

400MHz might sound great, but from 4GHz its only +10%...

As I pointed out the first time, the i3-8100 will have better gaming performance in more cases than the Ryzen 5 1400

And from what I've looked at, they are both about equal, with more modern Games like Assasin's Creed Odyssey heavily preferring the Ryzen because of the 8 Threads.

The Rest was in regions where it really doesn't matter.

At ~50fps, another 8fps are awesome.

At 150fps another 20fps are irrelevant.

I rated your post as funny because it was extremely amusing seeing you quote and criticize half the thread rather than simply answer the OP.

That's no reason to rate something as funny.

That's not what that thing is designed for.

How about I rate your postings as funny because I don't like what you are posting?!

3 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Or buy once cry once and get the 2600 and ignore cpu upgrades for 3+ years.

Why do you have to bring that up everytime?!

We had that discussion already a couple of times. And you are just totally wrong because both don't have to be exclusive.

You can have an upgrade path and still get a good CPU, but it might still be possible down the line to upgrade to something even better, that doesn't exist yet.

My example was from the good old Socket 7 Area, where you could get a Pentium 90 for like 350 or 450 Deutsche Mark or so (~175-225€) or spend more for a Pentium 133. The 166 wasn't even out yet.

But the Board was built with a switch mode regulator that could support the DUal Voltages that was introduced with the P55C and also there were "hidden Settings", so that you could bring down the voltage to 2,2V. Wich allows for Support of 0,25µ K6-2 CPUs with up to 400-450MHz...

You can get whatever and still maybe upgrade to a Ryzen 4000 CPU with "real 7nm" manufacturing.

11 hours ago, _d0nut said:

I know. @Earnist_ said that all previous motherboards will be compatible with Ryzen 3000, which is not confirmed, that's why I said anything over 8 cores can't really survive on dual channel.

well b450 boards have 4 slots for ram which is QUAD channel get your facts straight

11 hours ago, Earnist_ said:

well b450 boards have 4 slots for ram which is QUAD channel get your facts straight

All AM4 motherboards are dual channel. 4 slots, 2 slot per channel. 4 slots doesn't mean 4 channels. 

All AM4 motherboards are dual channel. 4 slots, 2 slot per channel. 4 slots doesn't mean 4 channels. 

yes it does your very dumb, 2 ram slots is dual channel and 4  is quad channel

Can I have a link to anything that says AM4 is quad channel? I'm curious to where you got this.

Can I have a link to anything that says AM4 is quad channel? I'm curious to where you got this.

quad channel is 4 sticks of ram your clearly uninformed

it is indeed still only dual channel, all am4 sockets are dual channel not quad 

Yeah, I'm asking for a source to your claim that AM4 is quad channel. 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

24 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Why do you have to bring that up everytime?!

We had that discussion already a couple of times. And you are just totally wrong because both don't have to be exclusive.

You can have an upgrade path and still get a good CPU, but it might still be possible down the line to upgrade to something even better, that doesn't exist yet.

My example was from the good old Socket 7 Area, where you could get a Pentium 90 for like 350 or 450 Deutsche Mark or so (~175-225€) or spend more for a Pentium 133. The 166 wasn't even out yet.

But the Board was built with a switch mode regulator that could support the DUal Voltages that was introduced with the P55C and also there were "hidden Settings", so that you could bring down the voltage to 2,2V. Wich allows for Support of 0,25µ K6-2 CPUs with up to 400-450MHz...

You can get whatever and still maybe upgrade to a Ryzen 4000 CPU with "real 7nm" manufacturing.

My opinion isn't wrong. It's an opinion. Just like yours is.

Leave me alone.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 hours ago, david cassar said:

I would gladly get a ryzen 5 1600 but in my region it costs like 60 euro more than the ryzen 5 1400 and being a student my budget is a bit limited.

Yeah, that sucks.

BUT: Malta is EU Country.

So you theoretically could order something from a different EU Country.

All you need is a friend you trust in Italy and get the stuff from there.

Also with a gtx 970 the difference in performance between the 1400 and 1600 should be negligible.

Depends on the Game.

Its not as easy as that.

And somewhere down the line you will replace the GPU, if you have the money and need a new one (right now an RX570/8GiB is like 150€)

Quick question. The b450 motherboard im getting has only 2 dimm slots so I was thinking that for now I will get a single 8 gb ddr4 stick so that in the future i would be able to upgrade. Will performance be impacted greatly by using a single channel 8gb stick or should it be fine?

It will be pretty significantly like 10% or so but I'd do the same if I didn't have the money.

But I strongly recommend to look at Boards with 4 DIMMs as they might be way better than the cheapest of the cheap bunch.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

it's a B45 board he's getting, the VRMs are going to suck. 

lol

not like ryzen needs good VRMs anyway 

10 hours ago, Earnist_ said:

08998e72e3d220f80b9d3e912a40bcd9b954fe19

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR