AMD and Nvidia hurting PC gaming. Considering consoles in the future.

killcomic

It's 2019 and both AMD and Nvidia have release utterly disappointing, overpriced products that lower the value proposition of PC gaming significantly.

Nvidia is driven by both greed and hubris, thinking that their position as a monopoly allows them to release anything at any price without any financial consequences (they were wrong, of course). AMD, on the other hand, is harder to read.

It is clear they don't have the research budget to compete with Nvidia in the high end. Despite this, they released the Radeon VII, an utterly underwhelming card that's both unaffordable and cannot compete with Nvidia's features at the same price.

It appears that this is the new normal. Why would AMD release a cheap card when they can get away with charging as much as Nvidia?

Navi will release later this year. It will be a medium tier card, that would put it on par with the 1070/1070ti if we're lucky. The biggest question is, what's the price point? And even so, what's the production yield? AMD seems incapable of meeting demand, with or without Bitcoin mining craze..

Nvidia's upcoming mid tier card, the 1660ti, appears to be a joke. A 20% increase in performance over the 1060 for a higher price.

I can get a 20% performance boost by playing games on my 900P monitor. It's not that great.

So it appears that PC is starting to become a hobby for the wealthy with the mid tier no longer being affordable or compelling enough.

This is where I put on my conspiracy theorist hat.

What if AMD does not want to compete? What is using this opportunity to drive gamers to consoles? They don't have to worry about drivers or the likes and their product cycle is both long and profitable.

Price your gamers out of their hobby, turn them to the thing that makes you money and at the same time deal a massive blow to your competitor by removing the PC gaming space.

Sure, it's unlikely and far fetched, but it does make me wonder...

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

We don't know anything about Navi other than it is purely for gaming, it wasn't ready for CES or a Feb launch, and there are more rumors going on about it than facts.

I don't see how the Radeon VII is underwhelming when it's not a pure gaming card.  It's part of Vega 20.  If anyone bothered to pay attention to Vega 20 since it was announced AMD gloats about productivity more than they do gaming.  This just happens to be one of the workstation cards that can game well.  AMD only said it was part of the high end and that it can compete with the 2080.  The bigger issue is that the drivers were a hot mess at launch which is kind of a norm for both AMD and Nvidia for the past 6 years from what I've seen.  The reason for the pricing of Vega 20 cards is partly to due with the fact that they are using HBM2.  HBM and HBM2 are not cheap, and 16gbs of it costs 320 USD.  This card costs them 750 bucks to build, and by selling it for 699 they are potentially not profiting off these cards.

As for Turing, it has potential yet the RTX aspect is the reason for the price hike.  However, you're still going early adopter with the fact that there's very little support for it. 

Um, they upped their RND budget by a lot.  I think the bigger issue with Navi being "not ready" is due more to likely yield issues.  Wanting to switch to consoles due to price is somewhat understandable, but like there are reasons for the costs minus the 2080 Ti that's just a "fuck you because we can and have no competition here!"

The Radeon pricing is a direct result of their lacklustre R&D. They are forced use HBM2, which is more power efficient than GDDR, in order to keep their power draw under control as they simply cannot create chips that are both high performing and power efficient.

They might have put more money into R&D, but it is clear they simply cannot compete tech-wise with Nvidia, which is a real shame as that's what keeping Nvidia as a monopoly.

Will Intel bringing their dGPU in 2020, AMD & nvidia will have to up their game

33 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

Will Intel bringing their dGPU in 2020, AMD & nvidia will have to up their game

We can only hope. Although I'm not expecting it to be spectacular.

25 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

A) It's not due to R&D it's because of the design they went with.  

B)  It's not supposed to be a gaming card that is there to rival the 2080 it just so happens this workstation card can, so they put it out since Navi wasn't ready to rival it.

C) HBM2 is only on Vega 20.  AMD announced they aren't using HBM2 for Navi..only workstation cards...

D) The power consumption and what not was lowered compared to the previous Vega cards which was the goal.

E)  You seem to have a misconception of what Vega 20 is and are treating it as AMD's answer to the higher Turing cards.  That was just something Lisa said to hold people over until Navi launches.  Have you not watched a keynote before?

A) it is due to R&D as they cannot make chips that are fast enough without using large amounts of power. If they had the tech know-how, they could create high performing chips that don't require a dedicated nuclear power generator to power it. They could not use GDDR as they had already spent the card's power budget.

B) AMD is marketing it to gamers and creators. If AMD is telling people this is a card you game with, it makes it a gaming card. The pricing puts it head on with the 2080.

C) Of course not. Navi will have far lower performance than Vega. They will have the power budget to use GDDR.

D) Yes, it is lower thanks to the 7nm process, however they needed to increase performance and that's where the saved power consumption went. AMD had no choice but to use HBM.

E) No, because those are marketing events and they mean nothing. Facts are that they are marketing Radeon VII as a gaming card. They even changed the naming scheme from Vega to Radeon. It's pretty clear what they are trying to do. Also, how much lower in pricing do you think Navi is going to be? They are not going to go from USD $700 to USD $250 unless the performance is significantly worse, and I mean low end tier. I don't see AMD undercutting NVIDIA by much.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

A) You're judging one card for a whole Vega 20 and the not released Navi cards.  And, not it's not due to R&D.  Their R&D budget was increased.  It might not be as high as Nvidia's, but it was increased last year.  Their goal was to improve on Vega and that goal was met.

B) They stated creators first and ranted about that for a year, so I'm sorry you and others aren't paying attention to that.  No, it doesn't make it gaming card it makes it a workstation card that can game.  You keep treating this card like it is supposed to be a Navi card...it's not...  If you want to blame AMD's marketing over that then fine, but if you paid enough attention to them over the past year you'd know it's not.

C)  They used HBM again because it is better than GDDR memory for specific workstation tasks hence the original point of Vega 20.  It's not a pure gaming card, again that is Navi!  Navi is not going to use HBM memory because they are gaming cards!

D)  They didn't say it was a sole gaming card.  They said it was a workstation card that can game.  It can do both, but the sole purpose is not purely gaming.  They stated this over and over.  If you pay attention to their marketing only then I guess I can see why you are confused about this, but Lisa herself stated these are not purely focused on gaming.  I'm not saying buy one for pure gaming nobody is other than people buying into marketing bs.  I've followed Vega 20 for quite some time, and they didn't show anything about gaming until they needed a card to hold people over for CES since Navi wasn't ready.  That doesn't mean this is a magical card there to fully rival the 2080 it just happened to be able to clash with it.  

May I point you to this official AMD tweet?

AMD is trying to pass this as a gaming card. It mentions content creation in passing.

Sure, we all know that Vega is purely workstation DNA, but it's also telling that they are now trying to dress it as a gaming card. This tells me that Navi will not be able to fulfil high end gaming duties.

Illustration.jpg

2 hours ago, killcomic said:

It appears that this is the new normal. 

How? It's been one generation. Pascal was an awesome increase in performance over Maxwell, especially for price, and AMD is only "normally" failing to compete at the very high end (Vega, Fury) while still being very competitive at mid range (290/390, 480/580).

If it only takes one release for you to get Doom and gloom then you need to be more careful in evaluating product history.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's 2019 and both AMD and Nvidia have release utterly disappointing, overpriced products that lower the value proposition of PC gaming significantly.

Then stop complaining and start buying AMD Cards.

When All AMD Polaris are each under 1% in the Steam Hardware survey and VEGA, although available for more than a year, is only about the same as the 2080ti.

And the rediculously overpriced 2080 has double the share than VEGA.

Then yes, we have a Problem. But its with the Market, NOT AMD.

Nvidia is driven by both greed and hubris

Then stop buying their stuff.

Simple as that.

But as long as people are buying worse nVidia Products over better AMD Products, nothing will change.

Nothing can change.

thinking that their position as a monopoly allows them to release anything at any price without any financial consequences

Yes, because its true in the Gaming Market.

Because too many people only buy nVidia Hardware and don't even consider AMD Hardware. Even if they have a better offer.

Most people just wish that AMD had a competing product, so that they would preassure nVidia to reduce prices - just to buy nVidia in the End.

So yeah, THAT is a Problem.

AMD, on the other hand, is harder to read.

No, they make Products.

They make them as good as they can.

And still nobody wants them

Except the Miners.

Except the "Content Creators"

Except everyone that makes money and has an advantage of compute Power. And even here some do not.

It is clear they don't have the research budget to compete with Nvidia in the high end.

...because People just don't buy them...

If you'd stop complaining and start buying AMD Hardware.

And Propagating the purchase of AMD Hardware in your circles, that is a start.

But just complaining solves nothing.

Despite this, they released the Radeon VII, an utterly underwhelming card that's both unaffordable and cannot compete with Nvidia's features at the same price.

No, its not. Its a pretty nice card and in the lifetime of the card, the performance will increase and the thing its beating it with now on NV side will fall behind.

Same as it did with the GTX 680, wich more often battles with the HD7870 right now, same as the Radeon HD 7970 battles with the 780 in more modern games.

We know that.

And still claim its not a good card because people need excuses to not buy AMD.

And with AMD the Reviewers tend to be more critical than with the other side...

It appears that this is the new normal. Why would AMD release a cheap card when they can get away with charging as much as Nvidia?

Exactly!
WHy should they!
So that people have Cheap nVidia Cards??

Makes no sense for them...

Navi will release later this year.

Yes and nobody waits for it.

That is another Problem.

If AMD releases a Card: oh lets wait what nVidia has to offer

If nVidia releases a card: Shut up and take my money.

Yeah, obviously they concentrate on the Market that they might have Customers and not waste Resources on a Market that wouldn't buy them anyway...

It will be a medium tier card, that would put it on par with the 1070/1070ti if we're lucky.

Yes because in the lower end people are not that brand loyal than with higher end cards.

If you have a good offer, chances are you can sell the card.

But even that doesn't work too well these days.

Even +2GiB VRAM at lower cost is not enough these days.

Even a "1060 level" Card for the Price of the 1050ti is not enough.

People still prefer the worse Card because of the Name on the Box.

The biggest question is, what's the price point?

Oh right, I forgot...

The Price point is the most important measure.

Because low price means nVidia is forced to reduce their prices.

So you can buy nVidia Cards.

Yeah, see the Problem??

And even so, what's the production yield? AMD seems incapable of meeting demand, with or without Bitcoin mining craze..

Yeah, rather don't have any card because that means you don't need to throw it away than to have it and nobody wanting it.

If you don't like that, why don't you start buying AMD Hardware en masse??

With bigger market share, this wouldn't be an issue.

But with how "the Market" works right now, it makes more sense to not ship millions of cards to the dealers of whose 50% will have to be destroyed at the end of its lifetime....

Nvidia's upcoming mid tier card, the 1660ti, appears to be a joke. A 20% increase in performance over the 1060 for a higher price.

I can get a 20% performance boost by playing games on my 900P monitor. It's not that great.

Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

And if you don't like nVidia's product politics, stop buying them.

Simple as that.

So it appears that PC is starting to become a hobby for the wealthy with the mid tier no longer being affordable or compelling enough.

This is where I put on my conspiracy theorist hat.

Yeah that happens when the Market is broken and no real competition is possible because people don't care how good a product is but what name is on the box.

What if AMD does not want to compete?

What if they do and nobody buys their products?!
What if they do have an awesome product and its lying like lead on the shelves??

Its not like AMD didn't have no good offers in the last couple of years.

And the Miners might be welcomed by AMD with open arms and be preferred customers.

Because they actually buy AMD Hardware, gamer don't really do that.

What is using this opportunity to drive gamers to consoles?

Oh, nVidia does its best to do that with their proprietary garbage.

What's the Point in PC if they try to close it off like Consoles?!

With Consoles I don't have any driver issues, don't have to worry too much about it.  And people don't care what GPU is inside. They care if they can Play the games they like.

They don't have to care about the manufacturer of the GPU and that the Game performes like garbage because some "shit from the other side" got implemented. 

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Then stop complaining and start buying AMD Cards.

When All AMD Polaris are each under 1% in the Steam Hardware survey and VEGA, although available for more than a year, is only about the same as the 2080ti.

And the rediculously overpriced 2080 has double the share than VEGA.

Then yes, we have a Problem. But its with the Market, NOT AMD.

Then stop buying their stuff.

Simple as that.

But as long as people are buying worse nVidia Products over better AMD Products, nothing will change.

Nothing can change.

Yes, because its true in the Gaming Market.

Because too many people only buy nVidia Hardware and don't even consider AMD Hardware. Even if they have a better offer.

Most people just wish that AMD had a competing product, so that they would preassure nVidia to reduce prices - just to buy nVidia in the End.

So yeah, THAT is a Problem.

No, they make Products.

They make them as good as they can.

And still nobody wants them

Except the Miners.

Except the "Content Creators"

Except everyone that makes money and has an advantage of compute Power. And even here some do not.

...because People just don't buy them...

If you'd stop complaining and start buying AMD Hardware.

And Propagating the purchase of AMD Hardware in your circles, that is a start.

But just complaining solves nothing.

No, its not. Its a pretty nice card and in the lifetime of the card, the performance will increase and the thing its beating it with now on NV side will fall behind.

Same as it did with the GTX 680, wich more often battles with the HD7870 right now, same as the Radeon HD 7970 battles with the 780 in more modern games.

We know that.

And still claim its not a good card because people need excuses to not buy AMD.

And with AMD the Reviewers tend to be more critical than with the other side...

Exactly!
WHy should they!
So that people have Cheap nVidia Cards??

Makes no sense for them...

Yes and nobody waits for it.

That is another Problem.

If AMD releases a Card: oh lets wait what nVidia has to offer

If nVidia releases a card: Shut up and take my money.

Yeah, obviously they concentrate on the Market that they might have Customers and not waste Resources on a Market that wouldn't buy them anyway...

Yes because in the lower end people are not that brand loyal than with higher end cards.

If you have a good offer, chances are you can sell the card.

But even that doesn't work too well these days.

Even +2GiB VRAM at lower cost is not enough these days.

Even a "1060 level" Card for the Price of the 1050ti is not enough.

People still prefer the worse Card because of the Name on the Box.

Oh right, I forgot...

The Price point is the most important measure.

Because low price means nVidia is forced to reduce their prices.

So you can buy nVidia Cards.

Yeah, see the Problem??

Yeah, rather don't have any card because that means you don't need to throw it away than to have it and nobody wanting it.

If you don't like that, why don't you start buying AMD Hardware en masse??

With bigger market share, this wouldn't be an issue.

But with how "the Market" works right now, it makes more sense to not ship millions of cards to the dealers of whose 50% will have to be destroyed at the end of its lifetime....

Nobody is forcing you to buy it.

And if you don't like nVidia's product politics, stop buying them.

Simple as that.

Yeah that happens when the Market is broken and no real competition is possible because people don't care how good a product is but what name is on the box.

What if they do and nobody buys their products?!
What if they do have an awesome product and its lying like lead on the shelves??

Its not like AMD didn't have no good offers in the last couple of years.

And the Miners might be welcomed by AMD with open arms and be preferred customers.

Because they actually buy AMD Hardware, gamer don't really do that.

Oh, nVidia does its best to do that with their proprietary garbage.

What's the Point in PC if they try to close it off like Consoles?!

With Consoles I don't have any driver issues, don't have to worry too much about it.  And people don't care what GPU is inside. They care if they can Play the games they like.

They don't have to care about the manufacturer of the GPU and that the Game performes like garbage because some "shit from the other side" got implemented. 

You know, I've always bought exclusively AMD because they gave me better value. The 1060 was the first Nvidia card I had bought in over a decade as it was way cheaper than the 480 at the time. I frankly couldn't care less who makes the card as long as I get value out of it.

If you think this is about brand loyalty, I'm afraid you don't understand where I'm coming from.

Also, I've had dealings with you before and you are always aggressive and accusative. Please, try to keep your arguments balanced and non-aggressive.

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

Holy great Wall of text

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

40 minutes ago, killcomic said:

You know, I've always bought exclusively AMD

That is not enough.

Your friends, their friends.

Their Mothers, their Grandpas all need to do the same...

Just look at that:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

There are the FACTs!

The first AMD gaming Card is the RX 580 with just 0,82%

RX480: 0,6%

GTX 1060: ~15%

So in the Steam Hardware Survey, there are around 10 times as much 1060 as RX 480 and 580 combined.

I frankly couldn't care less who makes the card

You don't.

Many other people do.

Just look at this Forum, how many people buy only from one manufacturer or "by brand".

If you think this is about brand loyalty, I'm afraid you don't understand where I'm coming from.

Yes it is and I wasn't talking about YOU specifically, I was talking about the Market.

Still, there is something you can do to fix this mess!

Also, I've had dealings with you before and you are always aggressive and accusative. Please, try to keep your arguments balanced and non-aggressive.

I am keeping my postings factual. And there was a ton of information inside. You should read it. In this Posting I even gave you a Link to the source I mentioned. And the Orders of Magnitude that are between AMD and nVidia...

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

That is not enough.

Your friends, their friends.

Their Mothers, their Grandpas all need to do the same...

Just look at that:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

There are the FACTs!

The first AMD gaming Card is the RX 580 with just 0,82%

RX480: 0,6%

GTX 1060: ~15%

So in the Steam Hardware Survey, there are around 100 times as much 1060 as RX 480 and 580 combined.

You don't.

Many other people do.

Just look at this Forum, how many people buy only from one manufacturer or "by brand".

Yes it is and I wasn't talking about YOU specifically, I was talking about the Market.

Still, there is something you can do to fix this mess!

I am keeping my postings factual. And there was a ton of information inside. You should read it. In this Posting I even gave you a Link to the source I mentioned. And the Orders of Magnitude that are between AMD and nVidia...

I do wish people would see beyond the marketing and buy AMD. Not because I care about AMD but for competition. Had the 480 been cheaper than the 1060, I would've bought it in a heartbeat.

51 minutes ago, killcomic said:

You know, I've always bought exclusively AMD because they gave me better value. The 1060 was the first Nvidia card I had bought in over a decade as it was way cheaper than the 480 at the time. I frankly couldn't care less who makes the card as long as I get value out of it.

Yeah I agree, I've bought AMD for the better value, but i'll buy Nvidia when the value is better and better meets my needs which is primarily for gaming. The accusative "Well stop being a Nvidia shill and buy AMD" argument doesn't work at all, a person shouldn't buy based on blind loyalty and out of spite or pity for the company.

The Radeon VII doesn't make much sense for a pure gaming use GPU, unless you don't care about more noise and high power consumption than the RTX cards, or also need a workstation card.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

a person shouldn't buy based on blind loyalty and out of spite or pity for the company.

So you're saying if your jeans is made by children in bangladesh it doesn't matter?

And that you you could get a jeans for only 20€ more that's made locally by adults, you shouldn't get it "out of pity for the children"?

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

So you're saying if your jeans is made by children in bangladesh it doesn't matter? 

And that you you could get a jeans for only 20€ more that's made locally by adults, you shouldn't get it "out of pity for the children"? 

that's hardly a comparison.

this is the only 2 company that offer any kind of decent GPU. we're talking hundeds of dollars for a piece of hardware, not a $50 pair of jeans.

I really should start putting this in my Signature given how many times i've had to say it "Judge the product, not the company". Brandy loyalty is fine, but it should never be as bullheaded as you're making it out to be. AMD need to prove that they can make a product worth buying. They absolutely crushed it with Ryzen given that it was after their FX series which had a terrible reputation. They kicked Intel's ass into gear, So now they need to do the same to NVidia if they want to be considered by people who are in the market to buy a GPU.

They lost ground in the gaming sphere with their 500 series because of mining, their cards were much better (performance and value) than NVidia at it, and the side effect of that was very low stock for people to buy, so they had to buy NVidia, It's not that people blindly want NVidia cards, it's that they didn't have a choice, it was literally NVidia or nothing.

and unfortunately they still have a reputation for having more power hungry cards than their direct competition.

image.png.6a58be7956f754014f4f51ac9a5680e7.png

image.png.32f64ebd05d70c29c2e511ecf161e034.png

Rampant fan-boyism isn't going to help, in fact it's more likely that the harder you try to force something down people's throats the more likely they are going to buy something else out of spite and come to dislike the company. I see it all the time, hell, in some cases I've been the person to dislike something due to other people pushing me too hard.

Given that R7's media release didn't go over that smoothly, it may push people to NVidia because at least they know that it's stable.

TL;DR AMD need to do better and give people a reason to buy their products instead of "because we're not NVidia"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Idk bro. Does AMD hate money? Is it all a part of a big conspiracy theory?

(x) doubt.

Also,rx 590, GTX 1160 - going to be amazing value.

Yeah, if you wanna play on high refresh rate or high resolutions, you better have the dough son.

But if you don't, these two can run basically everything at 1080p for less then 300$.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Would it help?

dude, the only console i have bough in recent years in the switch

i have only owned the switch, 3DS, DSI, Xbox 360 and GameCube (yes, i have never own a PlayStation, i don't care, shove it up your ass for all i care)

the DSI broke so thats why i got the 3DS (also i wanted to play that new sun pokemon game) and i have kept the rest since because i either like them or they have had some type of impact in my childhood (expect the 360, never did like it, more of a Nintendo dude)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Well there is no point in AMD competing any harder than they are now.

The best they can and probably will do is putting out an alternative that's better than what Nvidia has, but not that much better that nvidia changes price.

We know that even if AMD puts out a much better gpu at whatever price, people won't suddenly buy it, most just stick to nvidia regardless what AMD has to offer.

Look at the 580/1060 situation, the 580 is a bit faster and has more VRAM so people that need to decide between the 2 usually go for the 580 because it's objectively a better price/performance, same goes for the 2080/ radeon VII, performance is similar in gaming but it has 16 gigs instead of 8. Apart from that they are basically the same.

So AMD just matches (again) what Nvidia already has and give it a slight advantage in VRAM, like it's at least something, but there is no point in AMD doing something more aggressively because Nvidia wins regardless of what they do.

As long as most people buy Nvidia blindly, nothing will change. I'm not saying "buy AMD!" but the problem is that most people walk into a store with some money and buy whatever nvidia card they can afford, regardless if AMD has a better alternative or not, they don't care.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, SwagMaestro said:

Idk bro. Does AMD hate money? Is it all a part of a big conspiracy theory?

(x) doubt.

Also,rx 590, GTX 1160 - going to be amazing value.

Yeah, if you wanna play on high refresh rate or high resolutions, you better have the dough son.

But if you don't, these two can run basically everything at 1080p for less then 300$.

Sure, they can run everything at 1080P but with compromises. They are hardly much better than a 1060 And they cost more (not sure about the 1160).

It’s been two years and we still don’t even have 1070 performance at 1060 prices. 

Performance is stuck while prices shoot up.

56 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Sure, they can run everything at 1080P but with compromises. They are hardly much better than a 1060 And they cost more (not sure about the 1160).

It’s been two years and we still don’t even have 1070 performance at 1060 prices. 

Performance is stuck while prices shoot up.

You're going to have the 1160 very soon. 250$ for a 1070 equivalent, if the trend continues. I'm okay with that. 

But yeah!!! They shouldn't raise the prices of the high end! Rtx is a waste of time and money. Give me the same performance for less. Nvidia just made big ass dies and called it an improvement

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

that's hardly a comparison.

Its not a Comparisation.

Its an Analogy.

And one that shows the point I was making without any doubt.

this is the only 2 company that offer any kind of decent GPU. we're talking hundeds of dollars for a piece of hardware, not a $50 pair of jeans.

It doesn't matter what we are talking about.

It applies to all products, all cagegories, everything.

I really should start putting this in my Signature given how many times i've had to say it "Judge the product, not the company".

No, you should judge BOTH and think about BOTH.

The Politics of the Company is not totally unimportant and something you should ignore, especially if there are some bad market-distorting operations that the Company does...

AMD need to prove that they can make a product worth buying.

Yeah, yeah. Its getting old.

Then AMD makes a Product worth buying with a good Pricepoint and still nobody buys it...

Just look at the Steam Hardware Survey. There are 10 times as many 1060 as there are RX480 and 580 combined...

They absolutely crushed it with Ryzen

A CPU doesn't need no drivers.

A CPU doesn't have to deal with Gameworks.

A CPU is much easier to sell than a GPU.

And the Market was stagnating, so positioning an 8 Core CPU against a 4 Core CPU is a nobrainer for some Situations...

So now they need to do the same to NVidia if they want to be considered by people who are in the market to buy a GPU.

Yeah and how should they do that exactly?!

How many AMD GPUs have YOU bought?

And why should they bother if they have a decent Product and still nobody buys it?!

Wich was the case a couple of times already...

They lost ground in the gaming sphere with their 500 series because of mining,

...wich are the people actually buying AMD Hardware.

Gamers weren't.

Mining is over and there are still not many AMD Cards in there, although there should be plenty on the used market.

and unfortunately they still have a reputation for having more power hungry cards than their direct competition.

Because one side always claims Power Consumption is really important when their side is on top but when the other side is better, its not as important no more.

Just look at the AMD FX!

How many people claimed that Power Consumption is one of the most important things?
And now look at the arguments today. How many people are mentioning the Power Consumption when talking about CPU?

Nobody does...

TL;DR AMD need to do better and give people a reason to buy their products instead of "because we're not NVidia"

Yeah, AMD already has some good products in the lower end and you don't see people running to the stores and buy them.

And wanna bet what happens when Navi is out?

People are waiting for "what nVidia has to offer".

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

Given that R7's media release didn't go over that smoothly, it may push people to NVidia because at least they know that it's stable.

Even if it is a lie, see this:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/damien-cox/nvidias-latest-drivers-are-causing-issues-for-gtx-1060-users/

https://www.driversupport.com/knowledge-article/fixing-nvidia-417-22-december-2018-issues/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/3/1734339624803822794/

There is a ton of Issues with their Drivers - but nobody talks about it...

Or the dying cards in the WoW Menu because they messed up the Fan Controller.

People always talking about "the other Side", because they need a reason to buy nVidia.

That the (potential) Driver Issues with Radeon 7 are totally overblown, is also pretty obvious. But why emphathise on that?!

And now pls look at the reporting of the GTX 970. That was softballing by many Companys.

Or the Reporting about the Geforce Partner Programme...

7 hours ago, samcool55 said:

We know that even if AMD puts out a much better gpu at whatever price, people won't suddenly buy it, most just stick to nvidia regardless what AMD has to offer.

Exactly that is the Problem.

And its also partly the fault of the Media with their Reporting...

Many knew about the Geforce Partner Programme but nobody said anything because they didn't want to damage the relationship with nVidia.

Why was it that HardOCP was the one breaking the story, when everyone else also had the Infos?

Why is nobody reporting about that no more?
Why are people already forgetting that?

Here the Article about it:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/08/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice