Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

417.23 and older do not require this. Just install it manually and select appropriate gaming card (1070 instead of P104-100, 1063 instead of P106-90, etc)

Only 417.35+ require patches.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my hands on this gem of a card and would love to get it game ready, Its a MSI 1060 6gb GP106 (think its a old mining card) drivers install but cant get anything out of it 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, CAPSBOY said:

Got my hands on this gem of a card and would love to get it game ready, Its a MSI 1060 6gb GP106 (think its a old mining card) drivers install but cant get anything out of it 

spacer.png

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.792.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2022, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Reading EEPROM (this operation may take up to 30 seconds)

WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible PCI Device ID's
match the PCI Device ID of the adapter.
  Adapter PCI Device ID:        1C06
  Firmware image PCI Device ID: 1C03
WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.11D7)
  does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1462.8C9A).
WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible Board ID's
match the Board ID of the adapter.
  Adapter Board ID:        EF20
  Firmware image Board ID: EF09
Nothing changed!

ERROR: GPU PCI Device ID mismatch.

nvflash won't let me flash another MSI bios

It's impossible to reflash it into 1060. We already tried. nvflash contains some software checks, but even if they are bypassed, the final decision is made by the GPU itself, and the GPU will not accept firmware from another chip.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:50 PM, Krist0N said:

Still dont works for p104-100, and worst then previos ones, because blanked all info in gpuz:( These drivers modificate for p106-100/90 and i dont know how modifacted. 

Screenshot 2022-11-21 193830.png

I use an msi p104. It is possible to game on it using a linux distro and proton with igpu.  But there is a trick to it.

Set igpu as primary in bios. If cannot there is a work around. Do not worry.

(Assumes you installed chosen os already i use unity ubuntu)

1. Install regular nvidia driver. Using additional drivers tab or cli... i tried on site nvidia drivers .run that doesn't work as well. 

2. Use the command equivalent of "sudo apt install nvidia-settings && sudo apt install nvidia-prime. Hit enter and type password. 

3. Restart.

4.a) if u restart u get picture and when u click about pc it says "sse2/p104-100" youre good. Everything will just use it. 

4b.) If u get a blank screen do not panic. Use the shortcut "ctrl + alt + f1" to get into a cli. Login by manually typing the username u set then password. Type "sudo prime-select query"

It should say nvidia.

In this case thats a glitch. Some pcs will do this some(not work with nvidia mode) some will just work. Ive dealt with both. 

If it says nvidia use command "sudo prime-select on-demand"

Hit enter. Wait for the command to finish swapping the gpu. Once it does try "ctrl + alt + f7" this is to swap back to desktop (f1-f6 are terminals)

And you should get a boot screen with login and graphics. If mot ctrl atl f1 back to cli and run sudo reboot.

if u have to use ondemand mode: Each time u want to run an app with the nvidia card, you'll need to call it using a spasific command. 

If it "just worked" do not worry, you're successfully using the nvidia card for everything!

I the command is something like NVIDIA%PRIME_RUN or something. I had to do this with my old setup... so its been a while, but it does work if use right one. Good luck. And happy gaming. 

If using a server and possible issues

-

I once did this on a server install. Use sudo apt install "jwm && sudo apt install lxdm". Then installed nvidia driver 515(current at time)

To avoid headache later install peime, and make zure it is set to ondemand. Or else you may get whar i got.... 

Didnt set to on demand... there was a flickering issue as lxdm tries to start. In server mode nvidia mode is extremelt broken. On demand is only way it works. U only get few seconds before it flickers away again then u can type a letter to try and login... if u manage to login u must type "sudo service lxdm stop" or similar. It stops the flickering so u can in the blank terminal u logged into, set the setting up. Id recommend not going the server route if u plan to use it for gaming. Also i can confirm this method does work with flatseal too if u add the command to call the nvidia card to an app in it. Again thus is a server spasific issue or maybe my case as im a noob but hope this helps someone. 

Btw if youre gonna go linux route id recommend gloreous eggroll for some games. 

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

1 hour ago, dartraiden said:

It's impossible to reflash it into 1060. We already tried. nvflash contains some software checks, but even if they are bypassed, the final decision is made by the GPU itself, and the GPU will not accept firmware from another chip.

Ive seen people flash the 8gbp bios onto p104-100's before using the fancy usb clip that attaches to the gpu bios chip. Never did it myself but have 8gb gpu in my system. So could that do it? I forgot the name. Also some trch youtubers turned the fake 1050's back into their original bios.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

dang it .. yeah I have a bios USB flasher so I could give it a crack and flash it directly ... hell I paid $20 AUS for it .. will try it .. will report back

On 12/5/2022 at 5:43 PM, tarkh said:

Will this driver work in windows 11? I tried but I didn't succeed.

2 minutes ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Do people still talk on this post?

yes, and we have to much progress on the hack.

1 hour ago, jbcgames said:

yes, and we have to much progress on the hack.

Ok, I find it amazing that you guys continue to help people who are on a budget by creating the drivers needed for thos GPUs.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:12 AM, dartraiden said:

Then if it won't accept BIOS from other chips who did they manage to fake a GTX 1060 using a GTS 450?

4 hours ago, jbcgames said:

yes, it works, inclusive i maded on windows 11

Are the instructions the same as in Windows 10? the driver is installed but the checkbox in PhysX is not checked.

17 hours ago, Rassamah said:

Are the instructions the same as in Windows 10? the driver is installed but the checkbox in PhysX is not checked.

easy. go to nvidia control. change the physX manager to p106-p104 and is all.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:14 AM, jbcgames said:

easy. go to nvidia control. change the physX manager to p106-p104 and is all

This does not work in windows 11

On 12/20/2022 at 8:48 PM, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Then if it won't accept BIOS from other chips who did they manage to fake a GTX 1060 using a GTS 450?

Older cards weren't locked from flashing, new ones are.

5 minutes ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Oh ok

Starting with 10th gen actually, 9th and older are mostly flashable with a few unsupported outliers.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Starting with 10th gen actually, 9th and older are mostly flashable with a few unsupported outliers.

Its interesting beacuse this prevents false GPUs on the future.

I'm currently using G4560 and P106-100 with 60hz monitor. Can I use 144hz monitor with this current setup? Thank you!

6 hours ago, WhiskeyDelta said:

I'm currently using G4560 and P106-100 with 60hz monitor. Can I use 144hz monitor with this current setup? Thank you!

My i9-9900 has HD 630 graphics, this limits the frequency to 120 Hz.

G4560 has HD 610 so the frequency will probably be the same

In addition, the bandwidth of the HDMI/DP port can also limit the frequency

https://www.displayninja.com/which-cable-do-i-need-for-144hz/

54 minutes ago, dartraiden said:

i have a 165hz monitor and i5 10600 and it can use 165hz no issue 
UHD 630 support up to DP: 4096 x 2304 @60  HDMI2.0: 4096 x 2160 @60 Hz so it can support 1080 240hz the reason why you only get 120hz is because your motherboard has HDMI 1.4 that's why it's max out at 120hz use DisplayPort instead.

14 hours ago, dartraiden said:

Thank you for the information.

13 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

i have a 165hz monitor and i5 10600 and it can use 165hz no issue 
UHD 630 support up to DP: 4096 x 2304 @60  HDMI2.0: 4096 x 2160 @60 Hz so it can support 1080 240hz the reason why you only get 120hz is because your motherboard has HDMI 1.4 that's why it's max out at 120hz use DisplayPort instead.

Thank you for the insights. So yeah my motherboard has HDMI 1.4 and I need to use dp cable to max out hz. Noted!