[urgent] How to convince your parents to get faster internet?

yaya1
Go to solution Solved by yaya1,

Sooo...

Having come home from school yesterday, I sat down at our kitchen table and had late lunch. Sitting there, I said: "Hey, dad. Errr, can you maybe make a call and after that, I'll get like, €10 of pocket money less each month?" I then proceeded to again explain to him that I meant the support hotline and how I'd pay for the extra in cost and had him agree with what I wanted to do.(I still don't really know I got him to agree, lol)

When I was finished and he was going to bed for a nap, I was like, "Please remember to make the call...?".

In the evening, I remembered him after he'd come back home after shopping for groceries, which seemed to annoy him and I got a little mad when he said "Ugh, do I really have to do it today?", which I replied to with "Er, yeah, kinda, 'cause otherwise we're gonna forget about it" and he said something along the lines of "Nah, I don't think it's gotta be today, whatever; even if we *did* forget about it, wouldn't be a big deal, right?"...

I went into my room and later that evening, my mum came into my room telling me my dad had just called them and switched to a different plan(although I really don't know if it's the "right one":/?), so yeah, mission accomplished I guess! :D

Thank you all so much for your help! :) This really *is* a big deal for me, as I've been wanting to get better internet for at least 3 and a half years! :D

55 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

We are supposed to have 16mb download and 8mb upload and I get about those same speeds but it can be spread over more than 3 devices. You may want to get a new router if yours is over 3 or 4 years old as there are new standards for wifi and yours might be getting "tired". I tried to get my dad to upgrade our wifi for the longest time but then I realized the speeds we have are fine for basically everything we do. Sure we may not be able to stream a 1080p video with 4 other people watching youtube but I can comfortably play online while my family watches a movie. Also, think of the other people that have worse wifi. My friend has internet that is 700 kb per sec and he hates it. 

It's not our router, I'm using LAN and our internet's so slow it doesn't ever matter what type of connection you're using as there's nothing really to be bottlenecked anyways...

And yeah, I know there's way worse out there... :/

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Sooo...

Having come home from school yesterday, I sat down at our kitchen table and had late lunch. Sitting there, I said: "Hey, dad. Errr, can you maybe make a call and after that, I'll get like, €10 of pocket money less each month?" I then proceeded to again explain to him that I meant the support hotline and how I'd pay for the extra in cost and had him agree with what I wanted to do.(I still don't really know I got him to agree, lol)

When I was finished and he was going to bed for a nap, I was like, "Please remember to make the call...?".

In the evening, I remembered him after he'd come back home after shopping for groceries, which seemed to annoy him and I got a little mad when he said "Ugh, do I really have to do it today?", which I replied to with "Er, yeah, kinda, 'cause otherwise we're gonna forget about it" and he said something along the lines of "Nah, I don't think it's gotta be today, whatever; even if we *did* forget about it, wouldn't be a big deal, right?"...

I went into my room and later that evening, my mum came into my room telling me my dad had just called them and switched to a different plan(although I really don't know if it's the "right one":/?), so yeah, mission accomplished I guess! :D

Thank you all so much for your help! :) This really *is* a big deal for me, as I've been wanting to get better internet for at least 3 and a half years! :D

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

If we skip to next week, we'll find out that the internet speed was reduced and now OP has to convince to go back to the old speeds...

Just kidding, let us know how it goes now.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:35 AM, Netivity said:

If we skip to next week, we'll find out that the internet speed was reduced and now OP has to convince to go back to the old speeds...

It's not gonna be next week, but probably in at least 3 months, as I'll have to wait for the old contract to expire first... :/

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 12:35 AM, Netivity said:

[...]

Sooooo...

Luckily, I was wrong about the whole thing taking three months...

When we received the bill at the beginning of this month, it said we'd extended the old contract by another year(or something along those lines; either way, it said we were going to keep our slow internet), so my dad called them again. After having been told he hadn't called them to cancel the old contract, hadn't concluded a new one and being hung up on multiple times(apparently), he managed to get it all worked out.

We got our new connection this friday, these are our speeds now, keep in mind, though, that these are my speeds using my internet-power line-thingy?(usually, it's a tad more for the upload and the download speed kinda seems to be all-over-the-place(in a good way)??)
image.png.c4b326f881b5dea42f3968b19deb89ce.png

My gear:

#PCMasterrace