[urgent] How to convince your parents to get faster internet?

whoisjaya
Go to solution Solved by whoisjaya,

Sooo...

Having come home from school yesterday, I sat down at our kitchen table and had late lunch. Sitting there, I said: "Hey, dad. Errr, can you maybe make a call and after that, I'll get like, €10 of pocket money less each month?" I then proceeded to again explain to him that I meant the support hotline and how I'd pay for the extra in cost and had him agree with what I wanted to do.(I still don't really know I got him to agree, lol)

When I was finished and he was going to bed for a nap, I was like, "Please remember to make the call...?".

In the evening, I remembered him after he'd come back home after shopping for groceries, which seemed to annoy him and I got a little mad when he said "Ugh, do I really have to do it today?", which I replied to with "Er, yeah, kinda, 'cause otherwise we're gonna forget about it" and he said something along the lines of "Nah, I don't think it's gotta be today, whatever; even if we *did* forget about it, wouldn't be a big deal, right?"...

I went into my room and later that evening, my mum came into my room telling me my dad had just called them and switched to a different plan(although I really don't know if it's the "right one":/?), so yeah, mission accomplished I guess! :D

Thank you all so much for your help! :) This really *is* a big deal for me, as I've been wanting to get better internet for at least 3 and a half years! :D

Hello, everyone!

TL;DR: My question is what the title says.

Right now, our internet's pretty bad.

My ping in games is usually what I'd consider to be normal, so that's not the problem. My main problem with our internet connection is speed. The upload speed usually sits at like, 800kb/s(yeah, that's "kilo") and download speed is about 1.5MB/s on a good day; it's supposed to be up to 16MB/s down and 1MB/s up(just imagine how long downloading Shadow Of The Tomb Raider or - god forbid - Destiny 2 took to download).

The contract ends in about 2 weeks, meaning I should convince my parents(mainly my dad, my mum seems to understand(better)) as soon as possible.

I looked up the fastest available connection our house, which seems to be 100K, so 100MB/s download, which - I guess - is not going to be the speed we'll actually be getting, but it should still be a major upgrade.

The main problem is my parents, mainly my dad. He does not seem to understand what having fast/slow internet means/straight-up doesn't care about it. My mum on the other hand does seem to understand and wants to have faster internet, too, but my dad won't even really listen, and when he does, he either shrugs all, and I literally mean *all*, of my arguments off. 

I know I'm digressing, but I was once hosting a LAN and we were all complaining about my sister using all of our bandwith, meaning we were lagging in-game(Some days, just scrolling too fast on Instagram has me lagging on Discord). When he came in and looked at our monitors, seeing our games were running fluently in terms of frame rates, he said: "I don't see the problem, it's running smoothly on all of your machines. What's the matter?" Me and my friends spend unsuccesfull minutes talking to him about how it doesn't work the way he thinks it does, but he didn't seem to care/understand.
 Anyway, getting 100K would literally only cost €10 more per month, which I told him I'd be willing to pay. Also, it'd even be cheaper in the first 12 months.

Can you help me??:/

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

How long have you had this internet provider? Sometimes changing to the latest plan will give you a cheaper deal. That is what I did in my house, but your mileage may vary.

6 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

How long have you had this internet provider? Sometimes changing to the latest plan will give you a cheaper deal. That is what I did in my house, but your mileage may vary.

Just updated the topic...?

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Just updated it...?

Yea, your dad is a hard nut to crack. I'm not even sure whatever we tell you to tell him would convince him if he is so adamant on not changing.

Maybe your dad needs to hear it from a friend of his or a relative that comes over.  Like having an uncle come over and point out how dreadfully slow your internet is.

Another angle might to be to say it that it's so slow that it's hampering how long it takes you to do research projects for school.  Looking at it as something to help with academics might get through to him.

Other than that, save your money and buy the fastest internet you can get when you move out.  As crappy as it is, it's fully up to your parents what internet they get.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Yea, your dad is a hard nut to crack. I'm not even sure whatever we tell you to tell him would convince him if he is so adamant on not changing.

I know, technically, it would be lying, but I already thought about starting a download and then entering a game which's FPS I'd have capped to like, 25, just so he'd realise it's unplayable... :/

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, Majinhoju said:

Maybe your dad needs to hear it from a friend of his or a relative that comes over.  Like having an uncle come over and point out how dreadfully slow your internet is.

Another angle might to be to say it that it's so slow that it's hampering how long it takes you to do research projects for school.  Looking at it as something to help with academics might get through to him.

Other than that, save your money and buy the fastest internet you can get when you move out.  As crappy as it is, it's fully up to your parents what internet they get.

Already thought about that, too, but - generally speaking that is - my dad very rarely has someone come over who'd even think of using our internet. 

Thing is, I'd just like not to always disconnect from my comp matches because two people turn on a song on Spotify(on not-so-good days, that's on even an exaggeration...)...

He's not going to buy the school project thing, I'm afraid, we really never really have to do anything that involves using media/internet...

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

1.5 MB/s is slow for you

I download at 20 kb/s in a good day

let that sink in

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

1.5 MB/s is slow for you

I download at 20 kb/s in a good day

let that sink in

I'm aware there are slower connections and I know it's really a first-world problem, but still, it's incredibly annoying...

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

Offer to offset some of the cost by funding it yourself.  Or get your dad addicted to a streaming service and he'll want faster internet.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

That sounds tough.  I wonder if he's sort of playing dumb purposely keeping the slow internet to curb your usage on it.

Does he have any objections to you spending too much time online?

1 minute ago, Majinhoju said:

That sounds tough.  I wonder if he's sort of playing dumb purposely keeping the slow internet to curb your usage on it.

Does he have any objections to you spending too much time online?

Yes, he does think I spend too much time online, although to him, much is 90 minutes a day. Anyway, I've been telling him I'd need to be on the computer less due to reduced loading times, et cetera...

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

3 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Offer to offset some of the cost by funding it yourself.  Or get your dad addicted to a streaming service and he'll want faster internet.

Already tried that, but he still replied with a "No". :(

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

will faster wifi improve communications make your house safer? maybe your dad would also benifit from faster wifi?

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Offer to pay for it. He will probably forget it after a few months

I think that'd be too expensive... :/ I already offered paying the difference to the price my parents are paying right now, but I'm not sure if it'd make sense using a literal 80% of my pocket money just for that purpose...?

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, James the Broke Gamer said:

will faster wifi improve communications make your house safer? maybe your dad would also benifit from faster wifi?

I guess yeah, would benefit from it, although I don't know about the security thing...?

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

The only thing I can think of is ask him what would actually convince him to upgrade. 

Though he sounds like he doesn't see internet as much of a necessity so you just might have to tough out the crappy internet until you can move out and buy your own.

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

I think that'd be too expensive... :/ I already offered paying the difference to the price my parents are paying right now, but I'm not sure if it'd make sense using a literal 80% of my pocket money just for that purpose...?

- Be persistent until he gives up

- Upgrade it yourself if you know the login pw. He might not check his bills

btw. I edited my post above

5 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Ask your mom to convince your dad

Already did that, but she just says he doesn't wanna talk about it and seems to ignore it... :(

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

- Be persistent until he gives up

- Upgrade it yourself if you know the login pw. He might not check his bills

[...]

The first one's basically what I'm planning on doing, but the second one - and please don't get me wrong - just sounds like a bad move to pull off...?:/?

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

let the old contract expire and do a new one with faster internet. Your father probably doesn´t know your current speed.

btw. It is strange that an internet contract expires. It usually extends for another year or so. You almost always can upgrade to a more expensive plan. So no urgency

Just now, Teddy07 said:

let the old contract expire and do a new one with faster internet. Your father probably doesn´t know your current speed.

btw. It is strange that an internet contract expires. It usually extends for another year or so. You almost always can upgrade to a more expensive plan

That's the problem: It *does* kind of expire, if that makes sense, in the way that now we'd have the choice to cancel it and if we don't, we're going to be stuck with it for another three years...

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

3 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

That's the problem: It *does* kind of expire, if that makes sense, in the way that now we'd have the choice to cancel it and if we don't, we're going to be stuck with it for another three years...

Are you sure? Why would a company refuse to upgrade your contract and don´t earn more money? 

is your internet data capped?

I convinced my dad to upgrade because I used too much data and it was cheaper to upgrade

If your parents use devices that need internet: You could download stuff 24/7 and block the internet for other people. 

Do as I did and pay for it yourself, it's what I had to do... 

I was with Sky Broadband *shudders*... 

Paid for a good ol' Virgin Media 110 download and half arsed upload. 

But point still stands. 

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" - Pink Floyd

BSc (hons) Computing Science

AMD Ryzen 3900x | ASUS B450-F | MSI RTX 2070 | 64GB 3200Mhz RAM Windows 11 Pro | Surface Pro 4