Cpu usage 30% and gpu 100%

Go to solution Solved by gbergeron,
3 hours ago, Premoz1 said:

When playing all games, my gpu is 100%, which is normal. But my cpu is 30-40%. Ram 80-90%. Is it normal, and if not, how to fix it?

That is the Perfect scenario.

You want the GPU usage to be at the maximum so your GPU can deliver as much Frames as possible. For the CPU, basically you want it to be able to push your GPU usage to 100%, which in your case, it does. If it takes only 30% of your cpu power to do this, it's great ! You have 70% room for other apps like streaming etc...

In other words, your CPU only needs 30% of his "strength" to run your GPU to the maximum of it's power and you have lot of rooms for other cpu tasks. That is ideal.

Enjoy !

2 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

So, you're telling me that both the CPU and GPU should be at 100%? Are you high?

2 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

They should both be around the same percentage in game so that one is not limiting the other.  Now I must ask, is it you that is high?

Lol at this !!!

CPU % must be as low as possible while GPU % must be at 99-100% for no bottlenecks guys.

You don't want a high cpu % usage lolll .... you want 100% gpu usage and you want lowest cpu usage as possible as long as you hold that 100% gpu usage

Having high cpu usage in game is bad it means your cpu needs almost or all it's power to run the GPU.

If cpu usage is low and gpu usage is high it means your cpu is so powerful it only needs a small % of it's power to run your GPU to the max. Which is the ideal scenario.

I hope it's clear for you @Finwillwin as you seem to not understand correctly just how the components works together ! Cheers !~

When playing all games, my gpu is 100%, which is normal. But my cpu is 30-40%. Ram 80-90%. Is it normal, and if not, how to fix it?

That's called a bottleneck. Your GPU is weaker than your CPU. If you actually tell us what your specs are, people responding might be able to give more information.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

CPU stronk, GPU week

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

That's called a bottleneck. Your GPU is weaker than your CPU. If you actually tell us what your specs are, people responding might be able to give more information.

And that is called a useless bottleneck, as while playing games you want the gpu at 100% and cpu lower than that, what is the current situation. Also please don't use that word.

So @Premoz1

4 minutes ago, Premoz1 said:

Is it normal, and if not, how to fix it?

The cpu usage is totally normal and very good, nothing to worry about. But i would maybe add more ram, or close google chrome etc while gaming.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

assuming these are your specs:

On 1/20/2019 at 2:13 PM, Premoz1 said:

My specs :

Amd radeon RX580 asus strix 

Amd ryzen5 2600 

8gb 3000-mhz ram

850w corsair rm850x

from your other threads i believe you have a configuration issue.

either in the OS or game options. you have had multiple issues on this build (many threads).

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

And that is called a useless bottleneck, as while playing games you want the gpu at 100% and cpu lower than that, what is the current situation. Also please don't use that word.

So @Premoz1

The cpu usage is totally normal and very good, nothing to worry about. But i would maybe add more ram, or close google chrome etc while gaming.

I didn't think about that too hard when I commented, but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the correction.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

What games are you playing? If you are playing gpu intensive games the cpu is obviously going to be sitting at a lower cpu usage. 

8 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

the thing is, it is correct. a bottleneck is a fact, not a problem. you cannot *not* have a bottleneck in any real-world scenario.

in this case, your GPU is the bottleneck of your system, it is the single component that dictates the fastest speed at which the specific game will run.

if you now get a faster graphics card, you will see performance rise according to how much faster of a GPU you bought, because you replace the component that is the bottleneck. if in this instance you were to get a much faster CPU, it would be a neglible difference in resulting performance, because the GPU is the bottleneck.

it is only because of small minded people that have no idea what they're on about that the word "bottleneck" has gotten such a negative connotation in the world of computers, while it is as common of a term as "TDP" and "power target".

1 minute ago, Finwillwin said:

No, no it is not.  His GPU is bottlenecking the CPU.

So, you're telling me that both the CPU and GPU should be at 100%? Are you high?

i have rx580 8gb and ryzen5 2600. Its not bottleneck??? 

3 hours ago, Premoz1 said:

That is the Perfect scenario.

You want the GPU usage to be at the maximum so your GPU can deliver as much Frames as possible. For the CPU, basically you want it to be able to push your GPU usage to 100%, which in your case, it does. If it takes only 30% of your cpu power to do this, it's great ! You have 70% room for other apps like streaming etc...

In other words, your CPU only needs 30% of his "strength" to run your GPU to the maximum of it's power and you have lot of rooms for other cpu tasks. That is ideal.

Enjoy !

2 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

2 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

They should both be around the same percentage in game so that one is not limiting the other.  Now I must ask, is it you that is high?

Lol at this !!!

CPU % must be as low as possible while GPU % must be at 99-100% for no bottlenecks guys.

You don't want a high cpu % usage lolll .... you want 100% gpu usage and you want lowest cpu usage as possible as long as you hold that 100% gpu usage

Having high cpu usage in game is bad it means your cpu needs almost or all it's power to run the GPU.

If cpu usage is low and gpu usage is high it means your cpu is so powerful it only needs a small % of it's power to run your GPU to the max. Which is the ideal scenario.

I hope it's clear for you @Finwillwin as you seem to not understand correctly just how the components works together ! Cheers !~

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to clear a simple misunderstanding up. There are two different phrases that somehow people have started to use interchangeably. 

First there is gpu/cpu bound systems (not a bottleneck) cpu bound means your systems performance is determined by your cpu. In other words nothing per say is wrong with your system just that your cpu is doing all the work for the given task. 

Gpu bound is the same but instead of the cpu being the determining factor. It’s the gpu. So for that task your gpu is doing all the work. For things like gaming this is fine. Unless your experiencing one of two other issues or both as I’ll mention in a moment.

A bottleneck refers to when either the gpu is hindering overall performance to the degree that the system would operate faster without said component. Or in the case of the cpu being the bottleneck then upgrading it to something that can handle the gpu. Linus and other YouTube channels have videos that go over what bottlenecks are and I think it’s best showed in his video going over low end gpu testing. 

The first issue is unusually high temps. The other is slow/stuttering frame rates. In any case if you have an overclocked gpu revert to default settings and try running some games/benchmarks to see if that fixes either problem for you. On the other hand If your card is starting to push the upper 80s or even low 90s for some cards do run hot most of the time. but if your card isn’t one of those (check reviews etc.) then consider repair/replacement steps to resolve the overheating. Chances are if your gpu has over heated bad enough you may need a new cooler for said gpu. 

On the other hand you could have slow frame rates, or frames that seem to be missing in game or a stutter in the frame rate. This could be anything from faulty drivers/ which could be also giving you some of those higher temp readings. Or a hardware issue. First try moving your gpu to a different pci-e slot on your motherboard if available and try running the games/benchmarks again. If the problem goes away you could have a bad pci-e slot that isn’t making a good enough connection to the gpu.

Most motherboards only have one pci-e slot operating at x16 even though it may have more than one pci-e slot. So if moving your gpu fixes the problem I would still consider replacing the motherboard.

if moving your gpu doesn’t solve the problem then you should look at driver issues. Rather than uninstalling the drivers and installing them again I keep a spare hard drive with nothing but a clean install of windows just for this issue when I’m out doing repairs. I simply disconnect power after shutting down the system if it isn’t already off. Unplug any ssd/hdd in the system and only plug in my hdd with the clean windows copy then I go through the steps to install the drivers for the gpu and check everything in device manager. And start running benchmarks/stress tests.

if you don’t have this option then try to boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers and make sure you check for any saved/ unused or old drivers in your system and uninstall those as well. 

Then after restarting download and install the latest stable drivers for your gpu. (I wouldn’t try beta drivers for this step) then try running the tests again hopefully you should have your problem fixed by now. 

If not then you could have a failing gpu. And consider replacing. Or if you have a warranty consider sending it in.

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2019 at 12:05 AM, Premoz1 said:

Bro have a gpu bottleneck(u can search for a bottle neck calculator and find how much bottleneck u have on ur gpu)

If your GPU is reaching 100% and your CPU is something less, that's generally a positive sign. It means you're getting the most you can out of your GPU and the CPU is not so slow as to get in its way.

100% from the GPU while the CPU is in the 30's or 40's is extremely normal and no fixes are needed. It's a "bottleneck" only in the most pointlessly literal sense of that term. A balanced system will almost never have 100% GPU and 100% CPU load in games, that's just not how games load the system.