Reducing noise level of PC

balanceballs

Hi

I thought my original NZXT case fans were making my PC noisy but having replaced them with silent Noctua fans, even if I set them to 'off', it's still quite loud overall. I can even hear it through my headphones, especially if playing a game (when all the fans run). I think the PSU or the CPU cooler are to blame for the noise. What's the best option for replacements? Ideally, I'd like to order some of it from Amazon UK as I've got a few gift vouchers.

Spec is:

• ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H Motherboard
  • Intel i5 8600k with Hyper 212 evo
  • Sapphire Nitro RX480 8GB
  • Corsair TX750 (non modular) PSU
  • Various HDDs/SSDs
  • NZXT S340 case with front + rear Noctua fans

Thanks

Truthfully, the loudest component is likely your PSU. You should find a semi fanless or Eco mode PSU that has a switch to turn off the fan unless it reaches above a certain threshold. This will reduce your noise considerably. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Surely you can just put your ear near the different components and figure out which one is making the noise?

Do yourself a solid, and be aware of what ramps up when you enter a game. some investigative work will go a long way. The three most common fans to be super loud is the PSU, GPU and CPU fans. My money goes on either the PSU or the CPU. and considering you use a Hyper 212 Evo on a K series CPU, Id make the assumption you are doing a minor OC. OCing will cause heat which in turn causes noise. 

If not ,Im still willing to bet if the pc isn't on carpet, then the CPU is to blame. That is you haven't been altering fan speeds within BIOS, which is also a possibility.

As far as investigating, take a moment to look at your PC when you enter a game, if you feel comfortable, while the side panel is off. you will be able to tell straight away what fan is causing the problem.

you can even reduce the variables by unpluging all case fans temporarily to eliminate confusion. it won't harm the PC by any means. @balanceballs

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

29 minutes ago, balanceballs said:

I think the PSU or the CPU cooler are to blame for the noise.

Instead of just "thinking", open up the PC and listen to which of the fans is the noisiest. It's pointless to plan on what components to buy before you know which one is the problem in the first place.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

28 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Surely you can just put your ear near the different components and figure out which one is making the noise?

Yeah, you'd think so but the noise is consistent across the entire spread of components so I can't actually identify what's making the most noise

1 minute ago, balanceballs said:

Yeah, you'd think so but the noise is consistent across the entire spread of components so I can't actually identify what's making the most noise

Disconnect the case-fans, then you only have to listen to the CPU and PSU.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:41 AM, WereCatf said:

Disconnect the case-fans, then you only have to listen to the CPU and PSU.

There are still hdd's which are often noisier than fans. I recommend booting the system without hdd's powered to isolate the noise.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.