Help me build a system for 350!

Hi, my budget is 500. I am reserving 150 for good peripherals that will last me a long time which means I now have 350 for PC hardware. Was planning to go with Ryzen 3 2200g and RX 560. Must have boot SSD and 1tb mass storage. I want to have as much future upgrade room as possible! All help appreciated!

Just now, TechGizmoDude said:

Hi, my budget is 500. I am reserving 150 for good peripherals that will last me a long time which means I now have 350 for PC hardware. Was planning to go with Ryzen 3 2200g and RX 560. Must have boot SSD and 1tb mass storage. I want to have as much future upgrade room as possible! All help appreciated!

not much wiggle room but I'll do my best to get you a build

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

@MrMcMuffinJr You got this one man. You might be able to find some used rx 560s to save a bit and probably an ssd too, giving you more room for nicer mobo for future upgradeability.

1 minute ago, Overbuilder said:

@MrMcMuffinJr You got this one man. You might be able to find some used rx 560s to save a bit and probably an ssd too, giving you more room for nicer mobo for future upgradeability.

thanks for the info!

I am finding good deals on x370 boards where i'm from, you may have to look used on the case and psu, hard to put together at that price.

you will need to buy HDD later but it should be okay at 1080p gaming 

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Just now, Overbuilder said:

I am finding good deals on x370 boards where i'm from, you may have to look used on the case and psu, hard to put together at that price.

don't want to much used cause this build is for a friend who asked for mostly new, used case, gpu, psu sounds okay.

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

you will need to buy HDD later but it should be okay at 1080p gaming 

With that CPU and motherboard @TechGizmoDude would need to update the BIOS (AMD will send a free APU to update it with, see https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit)

1 hour ago, TechGizmoDude said:

don't want to much used cause this build is for a friend who asked for mostly new, used case, gpu, psu sounds okay.

$350 won't cover this for the parts you're looking for.

8 hours ago, TechGizmoDude said:

Sorry, but get a Playstation 4 (PRO) with Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man.

Then you have something to play with. And it comes with 1TB HDD wich is enough for 10-20 Games.

With that in da house, you have enough time to save money for a real good PC...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, TechGizmoDude said:

I'd rather have $450 PC with $50 spent on peripherals because that way you don't have to upgrade your PC so often

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sorry, but get a Playstation 4 (PRO) with Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man.

Then you have something to play with. And it comes with 1TB HDD wich is enough for 10-20 Games.

With that in da house, you have enough time to save money for a real good PC...

Yes, but not everyone wants to play on a console

13 hours ago, TechGizmoDude said:

this is what $450 gets you, but sincerly I'd rather buy used

11 hours ago, 17030644 said:

Yes, but not everyone wants to play on a console

I'm not saying to not get a PC.

I'm saying to get something else to have something to play on, so that there is less pressure to get a PC.

Because for 350-550€ you have to be lucky and be at the right place at the right time and be able to get a decent used PC. And that could be either a mid range Haswell or AMD FX...

So again nothing too good either...

And you could for example start with getting a decent, used Case for like 20€ or so.

Then get the smaller stuff like Keyboard and Mouse, a decent Screen.

The Board, Memory and GPU hast to be gotten together. As well as a decent PSU.

If he lives in a "good Country" with cheap prices, he could get a Board for like 50-75€, CPU for 130€ or so (Ryzen 1600 or 2600), Memory is also rather expensive but you could get away with like 60€ or so.

That "only" leaves the GPU and you need like 150€ or so for a decent one...

Right now the Ryzen 1600x is the best bang for buck for 135€ (1600 is more)

A good board (ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, MSI B450-A Pro) is like 85€

---------------

220€ so far

An 8GiB Stick of Memory (DDR4-3000) is ~50€

A good quality, cheapish PSU is 40-60€

That's another 90-110€

310-330€ so far.

So in the end he needs another ~100€ or so for the GPU.

Because good 8GiB Radeon RX570 is 150€ at the moment.

An RX560 is 100€, so that makes no sense.

1050 also is too expensive and 127€

a 4GiB RX570 is also like 5€ less wich is also bullshit...

Another possibility might be to save on the CPU and get an Athlon 200GE for 50€.

That might fit...

On 1/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, TechGizmoDude said:

Doesn't make much sense to keep so much of the budget on peripherals when you have so little budget to begin with. Get a cheap keyboard and mouse and use the money on better parts instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($66.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($33.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card  ($144.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - J180-BL ATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.95 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($8.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Azza - Diablo Wired Optical Mouse  ($7.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $500.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-23 20:50 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

15 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'm not saying to not get a PC.

I'm saying to get something else to have something to play on, so that there is less pressure to get a PC.

Because for 350-550€ you have to be lucky and be at the right place at the right time and be able to get a decent used PC. And that could be either a mid range Haswell or AMD FX...

So again nothing too good either...

And you could for example start with getting a decent, used Case for like 20€ or so.

Then get the smaller stuff like Keyboard and Mouse, a decent Screen.

The Board, Memory and GPU hast to be gotten together. As well as a decent PSU.

If he lives in a "good Country" with cheap prices, he could get a Board for like 50-75€, CPU for 130€ or so (Ryzen 1600 or 2600), Memory is also rather expensive but you could get away with like 60€ or so.

That "only" leaves the GPU and you need like 150€ or so for a decent one...

Right now the Ryzen 1600x is the best bang for buck for 135€ (1600 is more)

A good board (ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, MSI B450-A Pro) is like 85€

---------------

220€ so far

An 8GiB Stick of Memory (DDR4-3000) is ~50€

A good quality, cheapish PSU is 40-60€

That's another 90-110€

310-330€ so far.

So in the end he needs another ~100€ or so for the GPU.

Because good 8GiB Radeon RX570 is 150€ at the moment.

An RX560 is 100€, so that makes no sense.

1050 also is too expensive and 127€

a 4GiB RX570 is also like 5€ less wich is also bullshit...

Another possibility might be to save on the CPU and get an Athlon 200GE for 50€.

That might fit...

I am guessing he is from the US because as usual, he says nothing about his location and options.

in that case, he can build an okeish PC for $450

I am aware there are much better options for a bit more.

ryzen 3 isn't the best for modern titles, neither is a single 8GB ram module.

No SSD, motherboard with limited OC and expansion capabilities, a flimsy case with not so good airflow and probably mediocre cable management, basic PSU, etc.

So we can keep complaining about those cheap parts, but the point is that it is possible to build a cheap gaming PC, so if he doesn't like consoles but at the same time he isn't willing to go over the price of a console. It is OK

and he can still upgrade some stuff later on if he decides to do so.

14 hours ago, 17030644 said:

I am guessing he is from the US because as usual, he says nothing about his location and options.

We should wait for the answer and such...

in that case, he can build an okeish PC for $450

Question is: 

how good is the PC and how happy can he be?

I've posted a couple of parts that I'd recommend (ie Ryzen 1600X + 8GiB RX570). I really wouldn't go under that. Especially since there is no cheaper GPU that makes sense...

ryzen 3 isn't the best for modern titles, neither is a single 8GB ram module.

Yes, and that's why a Playstation should be considered as it might be the best compromize for the money...

ANd has some nice games on it you can't play on PC.

With a PS4 you at least have something to game on and can save up for a nice PC. That was my thought...

No SSD, motherboard with limited OC and expansion capabilities, a flimsy case with not so good airflow and probably mediocre cable management, basic PSU, etc.

Decent cases can be gotten for cheap. ANd aren't necessary, though highly recommended. But if you know a bit about electronics and have much space on the table, a paper box is all you need...

Decent, used, cases can be gotten for like 20€ at the door. You just have to know where to look and what to look for. And be able to modify the case in some ways.

For example a Celsuis M460 Case is something you can get for cheap in Germany. Like 20€ or so.

MoBo with limited OC is irrelevant as Ryzen doesn't OC well. And expansion capabilitys: What do you want/need with that?? All you might want is a WiFi or Bluetooth module. And that's about it. 

The PSU should be good quality as it lasts longer and extens the life of the PC. I wouldn't save too much and get a shitty PSU that will cause Problems or even hurt the components.

So we can keep complaining about those cheap parts, but the point is that it is possible to build a cheap gaming PC, so if he doesn't like consoles but at the same time he isn't willing to go over the price of a console. It is OK

Yes but at what price? Do you really have to force a PC that has some serious problems in some areas into that price point? And to a point where it isn't really fun because the GPU is shit, the CPU is not up to it and you can't play with medium details in most modern games?

I don't think so.

And people tend to overrate the box the game runs on. Man, that's irrelevant. Why care about that at all?!
If it runs a game you want to play, what else is there to want?!

I really don't get this "PC Master Race" bullshit. Lets be gamers and play games. And stop caring about what it runs on -  as long as that Plattform makes sense and has some decent exclusives (wich the XBox does not have, so its useless).

and he can still upgrade some stuff later on if he decides to do so.

Yeah and spend more in the end because he needs to replace the GPU this year or next year or can spend a bit more and live a couple of years more.

Same with the CPU...

Here we have a saying: "By cheap and buy twice"...

On 1/25/2019 at 2:03 AM, Stefan Payne said:

We should wait for the answer and such...

Question is: 

how good is the PC and how happy can he be?

I've posted a couple of parts that I'd recommend (ie Ryzen 1600X + 8GiB RX570). I really wouldn't go under that. Especially since there is no cheaper GPU that makes sense...

Yes, and that's why a Playstation should be considered as it might be the best compromize for the money...

ANd has some nice games on it you can't play on PC.

With a PS4 you at least have something to game on and can save up for a nice PC. That was my thought...

Decent cases can be gotten for cheap. ANd aren't necessary, though highly recommended. But if you know a bit about electronics and have much space on the table, a paper box is all you need...

Decent, used, cases can be gotten for like 20€ at the door. You just have to know where to look and what to look for. And be able to modify the case in some ways.

For example a Celsuis M460 Case is something you can get for cheap in Germany. Like 20€ or so.

MoBo with limited OC is irrelevant as Ryzen doesn't OC well. And expansion capabilitys: What do you want/need with that??

The PSU should be good quality as it lasts longer and extens the life of the PC. I wouldn't save too much and get a shitty PSU that will cause Problems or even hurt the components.

Yes but at what price? Do you really have to force a PC that has some serious problems in some areas into that price point? And to a point where it isn't really fun because the GPU is shit, the CPU is not up to it and you can't play with medium details in most modern games?

I don't think so.

And people tend to overrate the box the game runs on. Man, that's irrelevant. Why care about that at all?!
If it runs a game you want to play, what else is there to want?!

I really don't get this "PC Master Race" bullshit. Lets be gamers and play games. And stop caring about what it runs on -  as long as that Plattform makes sense and has some decent exclusives (wich the XBox does not have, so its useless).

Yeah and spend more in the end because he needs to replace the GPU this year or next year or can spend a bit more and live a couple of years more.

Same with the CPU...

Here we have a saying: "By cheap and buy twice"...

I agree that saving up a bit more is better, and that he'll surely end up spending more whenever he upgrades but maybe he doesn't want a console. Why? I don't know, do I think it's a good decision? no. But I sorta respect it, maybe he doesn't have money now or I don't know

On 1/25/2019 at 2:03 AM, Stefan Payne said:

All you might want is a WiFi or Bluetooth module. And that's about it. 

why?

7 hours ago, 17030644 said:

why?

IMO Bluetooth is more important for Controllers and other stuff...

And what else could you want? In a normal Systtem there isn't much...

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNp2w6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNp2w6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($56.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Value 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($19.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - RE4 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.65 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $461.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-29 05:37 EST-0500

Should be good enough to play any game in 1080p. If you can spend 30$ more then this will be awesome.

PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card. The peripherals list is upto you? 

On 1/28/2019 at 11:49 PM, Stefan Payne said:

IMO Bluetooth is more important for Controllers and other stuff...

oh, yes you're right

On 1/28/2019 at 11:49 PM, Stefan Payne said:

And what else could you want? In a normal Systtem there isn't much...

nothing I guess, most people just want to build the system and start playing games