How many raditors would it take to get high end components to within 1 degree or less of ambient

This is theoretical as it would be quite hard to get this to happen but how many rads and fans would it take to get a high end system to ambient by high end I mean 9980XE or 2990WX

An infinite amount.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I do mean at idle it would take an infinte amount at max load

1 minute ago, A Lini said:

I do mean at idle it would take an infinte amount at max load

It would take an infinite amount at any load.

Which is why it is impossible to reach ambient using radiators.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, A Lini said:

What if the ambient was 110 degrees

As long as the components are powered on they are producing heat, which means they will always be above ambient regardless of what your ambient temperature is.

If ambient is 30C and your components are at 31, even if you increase ambient to 60C your components will be at 61.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

If ambient is 30C and your components are at 31, even if you increase ambient to 60C your components will be at 61.

Ohh I think were not on the same page, I meant very close to ambeint not exactly ambient

my bad sorry I didn't word it correctly.

it would actually only take a single pump

with enough gpm and an infinite water source like a lake or stream , it would be quite easy to force the cpu to be the temperature of the water.

Just now, A Lini said:

Ohh I think were not on the same page, I meant very close to ambeint not exactly ambient

my bad sorry I didn't word it correctly.

Well that depends on how close you want to get and how much you're gonna overclock, because overclocking will increase heat output exponentially.

Spoiler

Just now, emosun said:

it would actually only take a single pump

with enough gpm and an infinite water sour like a lake or stream , it would be quite easy to force the cpu to be the temperature of the water.

That's also impossible because if the GPU temperature is the same as the water temperature, the temperature gradient is 0 and therefore no heat is being transferred.

It's certainly possible to get below ambient if the water temperature is cooler than ambient though, but that's not what you said.

Spoiler

I meant running at stock with the the boostclock set to whatever the boostclock algorithm sets it as with the a perfectly binned CPU

It's certainly possible to get below ambient if the water temperature is cooler than ambient though, but that's not what you said.

i feel like it wouldn't be that hard with enough flow , i'm talking quite literally gallons per minute. it would be a really absurd setup but i feel like nobody ever tries it.

I feel like a lake or stream would be colder than ambient too

To clarify it wouldn't have to be possible I mean it could literly be diverting multiple lakes, and rivers into a skyscraper made out of radiators

Just now, A Lini said:

I meant running at stock with the the boostclock set to whatever the boostclock algorithm sets it as with the a perfectly binned CPU

And how close to ambient do you want to get, and is that under load or at idle?

Just now, emosun said:

i feel like it wouldn't be that hard with enough flow

It actually is quite hard to break the laws of thermodynamics.

Nobody has done it yet.

Spoiler

And how close to ambient do you want to get, and is that under load or at idle?

1 degree or less, and at idle or at max either one

It actually is quite hard to break the laws of thermodynamics.

Nobody has done it yet.

yeah but you can make stuff colder than ambient with stuff that is colder than ambient. so.... i dont know what you're on about

Just now, emosun said:

yeah but you can make stuff colder than ambient with stuff that is colder than ambient.

I'm talking about using liquid starting at ambeint

Just now, A Lini said:

I'm talking about using liquid starting at ambeint

and never getting colder?

then the answer is no

Just now, emosun said:

then the answer is no

5 minutes ago, A Lini said:

1 degree or less

sorry I should edit the title

if you pressed the cpu against a 6 inch pipe that had thousand of gallons passing through it of ambient water , maybe. but until you try that then i'd say no

1 hour ago, A Lini said:

1 degree or less, and at idle or at max either one

At idle the 9980XE uses ~40W https://www.anandtech.com/show/13539/the-intel-core-i9-9980xe-review/20

Based on this graph, you can pick a config.

Image result for computer radiator wattage temperature delta

If you want one degree above ambient, at 40W, you would need 400W/10K cooling capacity.

At once tenth of the capacity it would increase temperature by 1 kelvin = 1 celcius.

So then you could use an XE360 at ~1300rpm, or a PE240 at ~2800rpm, or anything in between.

You can also do the same math for load temperatures.

If the CPU uses 300W under load, you would need 3000W/10K in order to have a 1C over ambient temperature.

That would be ten SE360 radiators at 1100rpm, or five XE360 radiators at 2100rpm.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

yeah but you can make stuff colder than ambient with stuff that is colder than ambient. so.... i dont know what you're on about

You said 'make the CPU temperature the same as the temperature of the water' which is not possible.

Making the CPU below ambient, with water that is below ambient, IS possible. The CPU temp will still be above the water temp though.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

with water that is below ambient, IS possible.

16 minutes ago, emosun said:

I feel like a lake or stream would be colder than ambient

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

23 minutes ago, emosun said:

with enough gpm and an infinite water source like a lake or stream , it would be quite easy to force the cpu to be the temperature of the water.

This is not possible.

Which is the first thing you said that I was replying to.

Which is why I specifically said in my reply that making the CPU the same temp as the water is not possible.

Do you not even read what you write yourself??

Spoiler

also linus did a video where the computer was able to stay at ambient temp from a ,massive amount of air passing through the machine. what lacked for in temp it made up in volume