Helping A Friend... Budget $1000

Josiah_Kim

Hello, so my friend is trying to buy a gaming rig.

He mainly plays League, but will probably play Overwatch, CS, and the popular RPGs.

I'm trying to convince him to get a PC rather than a laptop, but unless the PC is significantly cheaper than this laptop, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-legion-y530-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hard-drive-black/6219200.p?skuId=6219200

he wont buy it.

=Requirements=

>He needs a wifi adapter even when he plays at home, so thats a must as well.

>He does NOT need a mouse, keyboard, or monitor.. he already has those.

**So I guess if you guys could help me find a build between $700-800, that'd be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: His school is very close to his house, so he ends up doing all of his work from home anyways. Sorry if this brought confusion.

6 minutes ago, Josiah_Kim said:

Hello, so my friend is trying to buy a gaming rig.

He mainly plays League, but will probably play Overwatch, CS, and the popular RPGs.

I'm trying to convince him to get a PC rather than a laptop, but unless the PC is significantly cheaper than this laptop, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-legion-y530-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hard-drive-black/6219200.p?skuId=6219200

he wont buy it.

=Requirements=

>He needs an i7 for school, so thats a must.

>He needs a wifi adapter even when he plays at home, so thats a must as well.

>He does NOT need a mouse, keyboard, or monitor.. he already has those.

**So I guess if you guys could help me find a build between $700-800, that'd be greatly appreciated!

*** He needs an i7 for school ? You mean he will bring his PC at school ?

To me, it feel that just with the fact he has to use computer for school means that he should go for the Laptop

:) 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

You do realise laptops exist for a reason? 

An "I7" doesn't mean anything. A U series I7 if worse than a desktop Pentium Gold. 

:)

14 hours ago, gbergeron said:

*** He needs an i7 for school ? You mean he will bring his PC at school ?

To me, it feel that just with the fact he has to use computer for school means that he should go for the Laptop 

He doesnt need to bring his computer to school. He goes to a university 2 miles from his house, so he goes home after class right away anyways.

He does most of his work at home anyways

just edited post after talking to him... he admitted he does not need an i7... just wanted one.. *sigh apologies.

yeah so disregard that requirement please!

13 hours ago, seon123 said:

You do realise laptops exist for a reason? 

An "I7" doesn't mean anything. A U series I7 if worse than a desktop Pentium Gold. 

I'm not sure what you are getting at..

He doesnt need the portability since his school is very close to home..

and yes I told him that the i7's and gpu's in laptops are not as good as the components you'd build into a PC.

just edited post after talking to him... he admitted he does not need an i7... just wanted one.. *sigh apologies.

yeah so disregard that requirement please!

Here's a build he can consider. It's better/faster than that I7 and has 6 cores 12 threads. Plus this GPU will last him WAY longer than that 1050ti, even if he doesn't play very demanding games. All around, this a way better build. That laptop doesn't even have an SSD. I couldn't imagine using a computer today without an SSD, it's day and night. Unless he needs the laptop to move back and forth, get the better computer.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

2 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

Here's a build he can consider. It's better/faster than that I7 and has 6 cores 12 threads. Plus this GPU will last him WAY longer than that 1050ti, even if he doesn't play very demanding games. All around, this a way better build. That laptop doesn't even have an SSD. I couldn't imagine using a computer today without an SSD, it's day and night. Unless he needs the laptop to move back and forth, get the better computer.

Thank you, I'll keep this in consideration!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($92.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP - EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $963.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-18 21:56 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

On 1/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, Josiah_Kim said:

significantly cheaper

How much is signifigntly cheaper $100, $200