Remote Power Button! Cool Or Dumb?

I am starting a new project and thought I would ask the LTT Forms before I got too deep in the project for any tips, thoughts, and general advice. 

So Here is the project. I am building a pc for Gaming!!! and video transcoding from Blueray/DVD format to MKV for Plex & Video Station on my Synology.

I am away from home a lot and would like to be able to remote into my computer at my leisure. to check in on the transcoding and a couple other odds and ends.

The only problem is Wake on LAN can be flakey at best and doesn't work if the computer is shut down. and i want to be able to let my computer go to sleep to save power.

that being said I am trying to find a solution that will look better than sticking MicroBot Push to the front of the machine!

I will probably end up with a relay inside of the machine, but I need to figure out what controller to use and how to set it up to be remotely tripped. your ideas and thoughts are welcome!

Some motherboards can be set to turn on at set times even without user input. I feel like thats far more practical.

If you havent bought your mobo yet, make sure to search one out with this feature.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Hook up a Raspberry Pi to the internet and have its I/O pins connected to the PWR pins of the front panel header on the motherboard. Run a listener on the Raspberry Pi so when you send it a packet, it trips the PWR pins on the PC.

More info at https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/59652/pc-start-button-effect-from-electrical-point-of-view

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Hook up a Raspberry Pi to the internet and have its I/O pins connected to the PWR pins of the front panel header on the motherboard. Run a listener on the Raspberry Pi so when you send it a packet, it trips the PWR pins on the PC.

More info at https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/59652/pc-start-button-effect-from-electrical-point-of-view

I have looked into Rasberry Pi  a couple years ago. I like this idea. thanks for the tip!

5 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Some motherboards can be set to turn on at set times even without user input. I feel like thats far more practical.

If you havent bought your mobo yet, make sure to search one out with this feature.

I want something I can power up even if it's in the middle of the night from across the US. thanks for the input!

2 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I agree with the auto on, if needed i'd do a few test runs to make sure it turns on consistently.

As with remote access, honestly i'd use chrome remote desktop, i've been using it for years now and it's very good, only downside is it sets window's aero mode to basic if you're using 7. It can fully control the PC to your liking, just be sure not to send a CTRL+ALT+DEL.

s with sleep, if the rig isn't too power hungry at idle i'd just let it sit on as it shouldn't really effect your electric bill too much, as long as it isn't constantly doing work 24/7 (computers only draw a small fraction of the PSU's max when they aren't doing anything). The raspberry pi idea sounds good as well though if power is a big concern for you.

@Axeoasis I actually use Jump Desktop for my remote client. it works really well and takes up phew resources when running in the background. chrome can be a mem hog if you don't quit it from time to time. 

1 minute ago, Ev The Nerd said:

@Axeoasis I actually use Jump Desktop for my remote client. it works really well and takes up phew resources when running in the background. chrome can be a mem hog if you don't quit it from time to time. 

true, if jump desktop works for you then i'd stick with that ?

I did this and made a thread about it: 

I guess the pictures got deleted from postimg.  The TLDR: buy a smart outlet for $30 and tap into the relay inside of it.  Using a RaspberryPi or DIY thing is "cool" but it's not smart engineering when you can take something off the shelf and leverage *their* effort and app support and everything. 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Some board uses a app that lets you power on/off your PC from your phone.

I know HP has this proprietary hardware features, for their servers, that lets users physically power on and off their computers, remotely even when they're on the other side of the globe. It's called Integrated Lights Out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Integrated_Lights-Out

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The TLDR: buy a smart outlet for $30 and tap into the relay inside of it.  Using a RaspberryPi or DIY thing is "cool" but it's not smart engineering when you can take something off the shelf and leverage *their* effort and app support and everything. 

Why bother with a relay when you could set UEFI to turn the computer on automatically whenever AC power resumes? Assuming those smart plugs actually physically disconnect the socket from mains.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

Why bother with a relay when you could set UEFI to turn the computer on automatically whenever AC power resumes? Assuming those smart plugs actually physically disconnect the socket from mains.

Reliability.  A relay is electrically "pushing" the button.  That "restart on AC" power I think doesn't work if you do a graceful shutdown too.  

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'd definitely do with UEFI to turn the computer on as it's the most reliable way (i used it with my build when i went on a cruise last November for a week), although in the event his board doesn't support it or it's malfunctioning, i'd do the smart plug as they tend to have apps to allow remote control instead of just timers. then you just have to set the bios/uefi to turn on when it's plugged in.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:14 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

Reliability.  A relay is electrically "pushing" the button.  That "restart on AC" power I think doesn't work if you do a graceful shutdown too.  

Ohey three days later.

I just tried it. Set my ACPI "On Power Restore" option to "Power On", let it boot to Windows, did a Shut Down, unplugged the computer for 10 seconds, plugged it back in, PC came back on.